Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bobbers,

I have my test ride set up for tomorrow!

As I mentioned on my original post, I'll be looking to trade in my Thunderbird. It is a 2010 model, 1700 cc, with floorboards and a nice screen. It's in very good condition, 13000 miles.

I'm thinking about my negotiating position. My expectation is that there will not be much negotiation on the Bobber price. They seem to be selling like hot cakes. Were any of you able to negotiate much off of list?

Instead I plan on focusing on the differential: how much to get me on the Bobber and off the TBird. The dealer already has one similar to mine on their lot for $7800. I'm guessing that they gave the previous owner ~$6k based on that. Based on $12k for a new Bobber, that makes a difference of $6k before we do registration, taxes and all that hooey.

So my plan is to look for paying $5k plus the TBird to get me on a Bobber. I'll be happy with $6k, and will reluctantly accept paying $7k plus Birdie after much eye rolling. What do you think of this plan? Any thoughts or experiences to share? Should I be more aggressive?

- Pasta

·
Registered
12 Posts
The list price of mine plus the following
Red
Fox shock
Swing bag
Heated grips
Brown stitched saddle
Side no. Plate
Was £11,700... there was also labour costs on top but I got it for £10,350... there is wiggle room ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Bobbers,

As I mentioned on my original post, I'll be looking to trade in my Thunderbird. It is a 2010 model, 1700 cc, with floorboards and a nice screen. It's in very good condition, 13000 miles.

I'm thinking about my negotiating position. My expectation is that there will not be much negotiation on the Bobber price. They seem to be selling like hot cakes. Were any of you able to negotiate much off of list?

Instead I plan on focusing on the differential: how much to get me on the Bobber and off the TBird. The dealer already has one similar to mine on their lot for $7800. I'm guessing that they gave the previous owner ~$6k based on that. Based on $12k for a new Bobber, that makes a difference of $6k before we do registration, taxes and all that hooey.

So my plan is to look for paying $5k plus the TBird to get me on a Bobber. I'll be happy with $6k, and will reluctantly accept paying $7k plus Birdie after much eye rolling. What do you think of this plan? Any thoughts or experiences to share? Should I be more aggressive?

- Pasta
I paid list, plus setup and shipping (about $800)
Good luck! I love mine! But I've also got a BMW to ride with windshield, lowers, heated grips and backseat for the #1.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Bobbers,

- Pasta
Enjoy your test ride!! :grin2:

I got zero discount on the bike purchase here in Spain (Triumph policy).
However I did get discounts on every accessory, any labor and future servicing if I use the dealer for that...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't be disappointed if you are not able to get what you want for your trade. I took a beating on my 15 T100 black but didn't want the hassle of retailing it. You can probably get $1500 plus if you sell on your own. Good luck you will be impressed with the Bobber.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I got mine without having to pay the €300.00 extra for the Cranberry Red/Frozen Silver paint job.
My local dealer also gives me 10% off all service and parts/accessories. Been a customer there since 2003.

There is indeed some room for bartering, depending on where you are I guess...

Happy Bobbing!!

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got a hundred off list on the Green/silver and no prep/freight. Pretty good deal I think. But you are always gonna take it in the ### when you sell a bike to the dealer. Been there done that.

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the deed is done. Ended up at $7k plus Birdie plus sore arse from the rogering I took, but such is life, Now the owner of a brand new Morello red Bobber!

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my many questions!

- Pasta

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
The test ride is costly... you did better than me. I paid 8K but who cares! The Bobber is Fantastic! Congratulations!!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Well the deed is done. Ended up at $7k plus Birdie plus sore arse from the rogering I took, but such is life, Now the owner of a brand new Morello red Bobber!

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my many questions!

- Pasta
Congrats!! Welcome to the Bobber club :grin2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats! That red was my wifes first choice but they didnt have any in stock. I think we made out at list out the door including tax and licensing. No trades though

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a supplemental comment to this thread, I checked the dealer's website for my old TBird, and found it on for $1500 more than they gave me for it. Given that they'll probably be haggled down on that, I don't feel too bad about what I got for the bike. Lesson: bikes do not hold their value. Ride 'em like you stole 'em!

- Pasta

1 - 12 of 12 Posts