Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had my entire exhaust system ceramic coated which required removing my TEC x-pipe and Trident exhaust. Not wanting to be without a ride, I reinstalled the stock cat/exhaust and a kindly soul gave me his headers. So I was able to continue riding while getting my exhaust coated. Have to say going back to stock was boring.

The coating took about a week and I’m happy with the results. The finish is a little glossier than stock (more satin than matte) and perfectly matches the engine casing. No obvious changes in performance... this was purely aesthetics. However I did wrap fiberglass around the baffles and installed them this time. Seems slightly quieter. We’ll see how they work out.

I did have to remove all the gaskets for the coating so had to install new gaskets. As many have said, it really helps to prefit the exhausts to the x-pipe so that the gaskets are easier to work with. Leave the exhaust clamps and gaskets on the x-pipe when installing. the header clamps and gaskets should stay on the header. Slow and methodical took me 3hrs to complete the job. Although I did use the opportunity to do some cleaning. The first time I did this, it took 4hrs but involved some bending of the TEC x-pipe and exhaust hanger adjustments. I chose the TEC x-pipe because of the value and warranty. I also got a great deal on the Trident from Brian at A&J plus they look stock.

Overall I’m happy the bike is back to its previous state. Is the coating worth it? Probably not but it looks better than before and makes me happy. Was the install easier the second time? Yes but it’s still a PITA to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
They look nice ? I have found recently that respray with high temp silicone spray does a good job but not really sure it will last that long ?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure a ceramic coating is more durable than VHT. We’ll see how it wears. It does look nice though. A very subtle change.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts