Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about swapping out my tank for another Triumph tank, I know the Speedmaster swap is fairly straight forward, but I was wondering if anyone knew what others might be out there. I've been eyeing an America tank, but I'm sure the frames are too different. So, I thought I'd throw this out to the group and see if anyone has any ideas or know what to watch out for.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I know the T120 can be made to fit but it requires some light modifications. Before jumping into the tank swap, think about what badging you want on the tank. The Speedmaster badge is rather large and is screwed into holes on the tank. If you go with another badge then you’ll have to cover up the holes or get them filled in and painted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
More importantly, you'll need to think about the fuel pump. With the T120 & new Speedmaster tanks, the fuel pumps are the same, so all you need to do is get a new pump/tank gasket
and you can re-use the Bobber's fuel pump. Though the fuel level sending units are different IIRC. With any other tank, you'd need to look into that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some research on all the different part numbers and tank measurements to see what will work. Hoping a 2016 Speedmaster tank will work, I think that center console would look real cool, but we'll see.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Fuel Level Sender is the same for the Bobber and Speedmaster. Part no T2401440.

You're absolutely correct. Though I realize I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The T120 Fuel Level Sender is different -T2401865- than
the Speedmaster/Bobber sender. You can use the original sending unit with a T120 tank (I did), but the fuel level readings will be off, i.e.
you'll have more fuel than than the gauge shows. Which, let's face it, isn't necessarily a bad thing. I love looking at the mpg and seeing 99.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You're absolutely correct. Though I realize I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The T120 Fuel Level Sender is different -T2401865- than
the Speedmaster/Bobber sender. You can use the original sending unit with a T120 tank (I did), but the fuel level readings will be off, i.e.
you'll have more fuel than than the gauge shows. Which, let's face it, isn't necessarily a bad thing. I love looking at the mpg and seeing 99.
I used a T120 tank with bobber pump/level float etc, just bent the arm a little, it is pretty accurate now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used a T120 tank with bobber pump/level float etc, just bent the arm a little, it is pretty accurate now.

Dang, I never thought about doing that. How much of a bend did you have to put in it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was thinking about swapping out my tank for another Triumph tank, I know the Speedmaster swap is fairly straight forward, but I was wondering if anyone knew what others might be out there. I've been eyeing an America tank, but I'm sure the frames are too different. So, I thought I'd throw this out to the group and see if anyone has any ideas or know what to watch out for.
Did you get it done? I am looking to buy a good condition Bobber tank...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts