Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my Bobber Black (matte) home from the dealership. I removed the tank stickers and was left with this. I tried a little soap and warm water, but that did not help. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have exactly the same issue... I’ve managed to remove all of the goo but in certain lights it’s still possible to see the outline of where he stickers were.

I have tried a couple of coats of matte black polish and also some AutoGlym sealant but it’s not gone completely!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have exactly the same issue... I’ve managed to remove all of the goo but in certain lights it’s still possible to see the outline of where he stickers were.

I have tried a couple of coats of matte black polish and also some AutoGlym sealant but it’s not gone completely!
That is ridiculous...If goo gone doesn't work I'm considering it a warranty issue. Hopefully Triumph will make it right.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That is ridiculous...If goo gone doesn't work I'm considering it a warranty issue. Hopefully Triumph will make it right.
There isn’t any goo there at all... just a different shade of paint where the stickers were. Almost as if the sun has faded the paint around the stickers. It’s only noticeable in certain lights but annoying all the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There isn’t any goo there at all... just a different shade of paint where the stickers were. Almost as if the sun has faded the paint around the stickers. It’s only noticeable in certain lights but annoying all the same.
That's exactly right. Different shade. I call that a defect.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I use goo-gone, and a plastic single sided razorblade I found on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Edge-Plastic-Razor-Blades/dp/B0165N8JLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524421129&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+single+edge+razor+blades&dpID=41KWt6mQoAL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

These are astoundingly useful when you don't want to use something too sharp.

On the color variance, it's clearly the same paint used and the paint that was uncovered has changed slightly over time. The solution to this is more time. Get out and ride the **** bike, and check again in three month's time :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use goo-gone, and a plastic single sided razorblade I found on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Edge-Plastic-Razor-Blades/dp/B0165N8JLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524421129&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+single+edge+razor+blades&dpID=41KWt6mQoAL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

These are astoundingly useful when you don't want to use something too sharp.

On the color variance, it's clearly the same paint used and the paint that was uncovered has changed slightly over time. The solution to this is more time. Get out and ride the **** bike, and check again in three month's time :)
I'll do you one better. I went out for goo gone, and had so much fun ripping around on the bobber that I forgot all about it. This torque beast is so fun to ride! In the time I was out, a pickup truck full of teenage guys yelled "that bike is dope!" Haha. The ladies seem to like it as well...seems to draw attention wherever I go and, again, it's just so **** fun to ride...

·
Registered
348 Posts
always helps when removing decals is to warm it up with like a hairdryer to soften the glue adhesive. you can use a heat gun too but be careful that it's on low setting and a good distance away. i have the ironstone and after removing the tank sticker, and all residue, you can see a slight color variance in the shape of the sticker. just noticeable at certain angles depending on the light. not too bad, but it's almost a year and i can still see it. doesn't bother me too much. if it's really bad i would take it back to dealer and see if they'll cover a repaint. hopefully they won't say something like, "the sticker is there as a warning and isn't supposed to be taken off." wish triumph would consider an alternative to the tank sticker. i really think though this is primarilly a problem with the matte paint finishes. anybody with the gloss colors experience this problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
always helps when removing decals is to warm it up with like a hairdryer to soften the glue adhesive. you can use a heat gun too but be careful that it's on low setting and a good distance away. i have the ironstone and after removing the tank sticker, and all residue, you can see a slight color variance in the shape of the sticker. just noticeable at certain angles depending on the light. not too bad, but it's almost a year and i can still see it. doesn't bother me too much. if it's really bad i would take it back to dealer and see if they'll cover a repaint. hopefully they won't say something like, "the sticker is there as a warning and isn't supposed to be taken off." wish triumph would consider an alternative to the tank sticker. i really think though this is primarilly a problem with the matte paint finishes. anybody with the gloss colors experience this problem?
I agree djdannygunz. Likely only a problem on matte paint... Mine came out pretty good after using goo gone. Like yours, you can still see it at certain angles/lighting, but not too bad.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Goof Off worked great on mine! Goo gone is citrus based, but Goof Off is solvent based and it works. I light coat of wax afterwards to protect the finish.
Can’t use a wax or polish on matte finishes. If we could it would be really easy to just buff the paint until it blended! ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can’t use a wax or polish on matte finishes. If we could it would be really easy to just buff the paint until it blended! ;)
I waxed my ironstone tank with Turtlewax paste and had no problems removing completely for a nice protection coat. Don’t let it dry in direct sunlight though! I did not think I can see a shadow where the sticker was. I’ll have to look when bike gets back from service. If it’s there it’s obviously so light I haven’t noticed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts