Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Union Jack tank pads from Motone but haven’t put them on my bike yet because I’m concerned they will ruin the matte paint on my tank if I decide to remove them at some point. Has anyone removed tank pads and had an issue with their paint?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I bought the Union Jack tank pads from Motone but haven’t put them on my bike yet because I’m concerned they will ruin the matte paint on my tank if I decide to remove them at some point. Has anyone removed tank pads and had an issue with their paint?
I have removed Triumph tank pads from a GLOSS tank with no problems. I use a piece of nylon fishing line and draw it under the pad. I clean up with a little goo gone. However, I'm not sure what would happen to matte paint.

I clean gunk off of my matte exhaust cans with Citra Solv. I don't get a shine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would try heating up area with a blow dryer or low setting on a heat gun to loosen up the adhesive on the tank pads and slowly lift away. I also wouldn't use anything like a credit card to scrape any glue off.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
The only issue you might have is that paint changes slightly over time due to the light, and the covered region will not. When you remove the pad, you may notice a small difference in color between the covered and uncovered area. It will probably look quite nice, as it will have the outline of the tank pad, and people will wonder how you did it. :laugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Matte Black Finish

I am also thinking of adding tank pads. So when and if we remove the pads from the tank. Will there be any change in the texture or the paint itself? Understand the fading issue, really not concerned. Only concerned about muffing up the Matte.

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don’t think you can prevent fading from UV, but I would think that would take a very long time to happen. If your concerned about the tank pads being too aggressive on mat coloured paint you can always first apply a black vinyl film cut out in the shape of the pads and lay the pads over them. Might just give you peace of mind if your concerned.

In my experience though, once you remove the oem pads, all others never seem to stay stuck. So I had used the double sided 3M tape used for automotive moulding, works great, stays stuck and no issues peeling away if you decide to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts