Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, i'm asking about the big silver tubes covering the ends of the exhaust mufflers.

i'm thinking about removing them, but before i do i'm wanting to see if anyone else has already and what does it look like without them?

·
Registered
792 Posts
You do realize that they plug into the cat/ x-pipe so you will have no exhaust pipe at all, unless you use a hacksaw!>:)

If you read the exhaust compilation thread you would see that several people did this to see how it sounds, including me!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don’t think this guy knows exactly what he’s talking about haha. There are no big silver tubes covering the ends of the mufflers.

You have a muffler or silencer with baffles inside. There’s nothing removable unless you use a hole saw to drill out the plate at the end and then pull out all the stuff on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
Oh I see, i think he means the double skinned pipe?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
BearJu, you're right i don't know, i'm a new at motorcycle mechanics with little to no experience

What i'm tryin to ask about are these big ugly silver “tin cans” aka “slip-ons”
What’s underneath them? Are they just for looks? Can I remove them and still have an exhaust system?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
BearJu, you're right i don't know, i'm a new at motorcycle mechanics with little to no experience

What i'm tryin to ask about are these big ugly silver “tin cans” aka “slip-ons” What’s underneath them? Are they just for looks? Can I remove them and still have an exhaust system?
They are the mufflers and no component of them are "removable" other than the whole thing....you would have to replace with straight pipes with elbow coming out of the Catalytic converter, or different slip ones. Search the forum, most the current options are out there in the exhaust section.

·
Registered
370 Posts

The exhaust is compromised of 5 parts.

You have two headers coming out from the engine that bend down underneath the back into your catalytic converter, which often is referred to the x-pipe especially when replaced with an open system also known as an off road x-pipe.

It is called this because the catalytic converter has material and filters on the inside which help control emissions as well as volume. This also causes some restriction in flow which will bog down the performance a bit. People replace it with an “off-road” x-pipe because it is basically just empty piping that allows the exhaust to flow better which helps the engine output more. It’s called off road because basically everywhere it’s illegal for everyday use because it doesn’t meant emission and volume laws it’s only meant for racing purposes technically.

So the two headers bolt into two inlets on the xpipe and then there are two outputs on the x-pipe which lead out to the 2 mufflers/silencers/slip on, whatever you want to call them. Again these are generally filled with packing material to cut down emissions and volume. Again opening these up which most people do by replacing them with an after market option generally increase power and volume.

If you look down the exhaust opening you’ll see there’s a plate with a smaller opening. A lot of people will drill out that plate and pull out all the baffles/filters/etc to open up the pipes. But there is no option to unbolt the end and pull that stuff on generally on stock mufflers. Some aftermarket have that options but these stock ones definitely do not. You’d have to replace the two silences or drill them out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
So no, you can’t just take them off and still have a full exhaust system.

I’m by no means a moto mechanic but it’s just nuts and bolts. Get under there and start tinkering!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BearJu, thanks for the info.

I had the dealer replace the stock x-pipe with a cat free one already. I really dislike the looks of the big tin cans!

what i'm now thinking is to cut them off where they marry into the pipe, as shown in the picture, and then get some "standard shaped" black pipes like you would see on a Scrambler or a Bonnevile and have a muffler shop weld them in place.

what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i also dislike the current air intake system and would like to put the old fashion air filter pods as talked about in the Air Box Elimination thread, but that would mean 3 mods to the engine air-exhaust system and would probably mandate a new engine mapping, and i don't know of a mech shop in my area that could do that. the dealer is 150miles away, and i don't think they'd do that for me either, so for now, i'll just stick to 2 mods

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would just get some British custom drag tips which are meant to be there. It will be easier mounting wise and then you can revert back to stock if you need to for warranty issues or whatever.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BearJu, are they "open" all the way or is there "stuff" inside them?

i don't want to open up the exhaust system so much that it has to be re-mapped.

i really like the look of the Sleeper Pros, but again concerned about too open of a system

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sleeper Pro's have a non removable baffle in them the straight thru tips don't have any baffling at all

·
Registered
261 Posts
The BC Drag tips are basically just open pipes. If you have a muffler guy they can easily be made. Fab the bends and weld on a couple feet of straight pipe and weld a mounting tab on. They are about as basic a pipe as you can get.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts