Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Thought I would show you my tail tidy I just completed.

Short rear mudguard
Small stem LED indicators front and rear.
Modified the numberplate holder.
Modified the cover plate.
Rewired short wiring harness to take numberplate light.
LED numberplate lights.
Smaller brake/tail light.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
:nerd:
torticollis..

;);)

It's better this way..for my old neck

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Guys,

Short rear mudguard
LED numberplate lights.
Very much like this... apart from the crook in my neck

Thanks #PFEN

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Hi Guys,

Short rear mudguard
LED numberplate lights.
This is prob one of my favorite jobs done with the short fender. I love the short fender look, but putting the license plate on the side (for me) breaks up the clean geometry lines of the bike.

I assume you used the bracket that had the reflector on it (Triumph short fender), and bent it down, fabbed it to accept the license plate?

·
Registered
370 Posts

That’s mine. Unfortunately I haven’t finished the wiring yet and can’t ride even though it’s 70 here in nyc. And rain for the next like 5 days now haha what luck

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts

That’s mine. Unfortunately I haven’t finished the wiring yet and can’t ride even though it’s 70 here in nyc. And rain for the next like 5 days now haha what luck

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
I commented on your license plate bracket before I think. Your is one of the least obtrusive side mounts that I have seen, mainly because of the up and down fashion. I dig it, but not sure it wouldn't equate to some cops noticing to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the twisted photo !!

With the numberplate holder I actually used all the original parts and ground off the plastic areas not needed. That way I could still pick up the original fixing holes from underneath. I then ground off the reflector tab.

Fixing the cover plate over the top to hide all the wiring takes a bit of fabrication to make blind fixings.

As we are not allowed side mount number plate holders in OZ this still keeps me SORT of legal.

Just be aware that the tail light wiring ( Yellow & Black ) is deleted from the short wiring harness.

·
Registered
116 Posts

I like your solution; very tidy. I may need to copy at some point. I'm running with the side plate in Qld at the moment. But, while it satisfies the plate visibility guidelines, I won't be surprised if I get ticketed for it at some point.
I'm also about to play with the wiring back there as I'll need to replace the Triumph multifunctions, which are definitely non-compliant, with an amber indicator/red brake set and thoughts of adding a Z-flex under the fender. Soldering is not my favorite task though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd very much appreciate that! Also saw that you initially went the multifunctions route too, and also was surprised to find they are red only :| ... hope you manage to offload them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
my take on the shorty tail and side plate.

the ugly stock "tin can" pipes are in the process of getting replaced with all black Gasser's, otherwise no catty, added a booster plug, dropped the bar and mirrors, and no front finder. in this pic she also has a cortech magnetic tank bag which is really handy when riding her to work and back

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
my take on the shorty tail and side plate.

the ugly stock "tin can" pipes are in the process of getting replaced with all black Gasser's, otherwise no catty, added a booster plug, dropped the bar and mirrors, and no front finder. in this pic she also has a cortech magnetic tank bag which is really handy when riding her to work and back
I think it's you, and if so, I can really see the seat has been "cupped" by the foam trimming. I dig it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
yep, when i had the upholstery guy "checker" the seat, i also had him shave the "edges" of the seat where they were digging into where my legs meet my ass. i have also installed a couple of washers between the set tongue and the seat to rotate my hips forward. my physical therapist (i'm an old guy that's falling apart) recommended that to decrease lower back pain

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
yep, when i had the upholstery guy "checker" the seat, i also had him shave the "edges" of the seat where they were digging into where my legs meet my ass. i have also installed a couple of washers between the set tongue and the seat to rotate my hips forward. my physical therapist (i'm an old guy that's falling apart) recommended that to decrease lower back pain
What did the seat cost you to have custom done if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd very much appreciate that! Also saw that you initially went the multifunctions route too, and also was surprised to find they are red only :| ... hope you manage to offload them.
Yes thanks to Triumph Perth they didn't have a clue :frown2 .
I have them on on ebay for sale and have posted them on this forum hoping one of the americans may want them.. Would even swop for a quilted seat..

·
Registered
71 Posts
That looks great Jon!

Not allowed side-plate here in NZ either so I am VERY interested in your mod! I have done some modification on mine to cut away the bulky nose of the stock number plate light and used LED number-plate screws like you and moved the plate slightly up BUT your just looks so much nicer.

Is the the Short fender you re-used the original rear-light assembly? with an aftermarket light?
Apologies for all the questions but I want to get this mode done if you don't mind?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts