Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of converting my rear Multifunction lites to a Rizoma setup. There are 5 wires in the current Triumph setup and only 4 on the Rizoma. Those of you who have done similiar conversions, how did you handle this. There are 2 separate circuits involved and 2 grounds. Did you just solder the 2 grounds together? My dealer couldn't tell me if that would cause problems down the road!

·
Vendor
522 Posts
You only need to use one of the grounds. Turn signal wire goes to the turn signal outputs. Tie the the white wires from each light together and the red wires together and hook each up to the run and brakes light output.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It’s been a while but if I remember right the spare is the hazards and I connected it to the indicator wire.

I did write down what each colour was but can’t find it. I do know that the left flashing wire was a different colour to the right. I used a meter on one side and assumed the other would be the same and didn’t check until after I had soldered and shrink wrapped.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Will you be using the resistors that came with the rizomas? I have the front rizoma lights but not entirely sure how to wire them up. Someone posted its a simple splice from the rizoma directions say to use the resistor???

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Will you be using the resistors that came with the rizomas? I have the front rizoma lights but not entirely sure how to wire them up. Someone posted its a simple splice from the rizoma directions say to use the resistor???
Since you didn't put your location in your signature we don't know where you are. But if you have led lites you won't need any resistors as in the first Rizoma schematic. If you have bulbs you will have to follow one of the other Rizoma schematics.

If we knew what country you were in we would be able to tell you, Whatever you do don't fill in your signature!!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You only need to use one of the grounds. Turn signal wire goes to the turn signal outputs. Tie the the white wires from each light together and the red wires together and hook each up to the run and brakes light output.
Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Since you didn't put your location in your signature we don't know where you are. But if you have led lites you won't need any resistors as in the first Rizoma schematic. If you have bulbs you will have to follow one of the other Rizoma schematics.

If we knew what country you were in we would be able to tell you, Whatever you do don't fill in your signature!!!
I'm in California. Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You should not ever require resistors to wire LEDs onto the Bobber; the system can regulate that itself based upon the settings you enter (or alter) in the lighting type menu. There is a table with the user programmable values that you can use to tell the bike what is wired to it through the “i” button. That table can be found in the accessory instructions for (I believe) the short rear mudguard fitting or the LED front indicator fitting instructions. Those instructions can be downloaded free of charge through triumphinstructions.net using the accessory kit part number (Starts with an A followed by a string of digits).
As for the wiring itself, here is what you may be looking at: at the rear lighting sub-harness connector, you should see six positions (1-6) wired into an 8 position, two row connector. #1 is green/white and is the positive wire for the right turn indicator. #2 is yellow/black and is the positive wire for the license plate light. #3 is green/purple and is the positive wire for the brake light(s). #4 is black; ground to all lights. #5 is yellow and is the positive wire to the rear light (this is branched off of the same source as #2 in the main harness, so it makes no difference if you switch #2 and #5). #6 is red/green and is the positive wire to the left turn indicator. When connecting to the Rizoma lights, you will obviously being connecting the ground (black) and the power (yellow) for rear lights to BOTH left and right Rizoma lights. You will be connecting the green/purple to BOTH Rizoma lights for brake function,as well. You connect the green/white to the right-hand light for turn indication, and the green/red to the left for the same reason. Two lights, four wires, three common to both lights, one unique to each. There will be a separate yellow/black and black that connect to your license plate light.
Depending upon the harness you modify, you may see some difference. I used the short rear mudguard harness, which requires the side mount plate kit; the license plate wires for this application are separated from the rear lighting sub-harness connector and get connected to a plug inside the battery box which is blanked from the factory.
Sorry for the long winded response, but this should cover basically everything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
522 Posts
You should not ever require resistors to wire LEDs onto the Bobber;
This is probably true of the triumph LED turn signals but I have installed Rizoma and X-Arc on 2 newer twins (Thruxton R and T120) and the config using the info button would still not flash the turn signals at the correct speed. We had to use the included Rizoma resistors on them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is probably true of the triumph LED turn signals but I have installed Rizoma and X-Arc on 2 newer twins (Thruxton R and T120) and the config using the info button would still not flash the turn signals at the correct speed. We had to use the included Rizoma resistors on them.

That’s a good point; I have no experience wiring lights on other Triumph models. I had heard of some issues wiring Rizoma lights on the Bobber and those owners fought gremlins until changing the lighting type, which fixed the issue. I had no trouble wiring my Club S Rizoma rear multifunction lights on my Bobber, but I changed the lighting type during the install. My flash rhythm is right on, but there are some flash modules out there people have used to affect the speed after the fact. Triumph simply notes in their various lighting accessory instructions that the Bobber must have all of one light type installed, it cannot function properly with a mix of standard bulbs and LEDs on the same circuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts