Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I drove a good hour to my friend. Parked the bike in the misty rain and fitted two pannier bars. I wiggled the exhausts a little bit to fit it, but nothing more intrusive than removing and re-fitting 6 bolts. Two on each side I see the seat and the two on each rear exhaust mount.

So, when I wore to go home. Put it in neutral, sidestand up, turned the key. Lights turn on, I hear the fuel pump. Clutch in and kill switch down.... Nothing more than a relay click?

I took out the battery and fully charged it in a few minutes. So, it's not the battery.

I do have x-pipe and booster plug fitted. But they have not given me any trouble for hundreds of km.

Can a fuse or a sensor have given me trouble?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I had a similar issue last Sunday. Turned out that the ground/earth had a bad connection even though when removing the battery the connections seemed tight. Try cleaning connections and tighten them.

Chico

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Following the wire and clicking sound, it seems it is put under the seat, behind the chain and the oil tank. In a near impossible place to get to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried cleaning the ground and positive from the battery and to the bike with vinegar. Now I highly suspect the starter solenoid might have some water in it or so because of rain and that I actually get the click. Headlight goes off to as I click the starter to divert power to the sollenoid, so maybe the problem is the actual sollenoid or from that and to the starter. Might be the actual starter too. I have no idea at this point as I am no mechanic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try push a bike in gear and ignition off to rotate engine a little. I once had similar jackpot in my car, starter couldn't push in to gearing, pushed car a little and worked after it as a charm.
Don't know if that can be possible case for you, but it's very easy to try ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem.Access to starter motor relay means removal of sprocket cover as you have done,but then also removal of coolant and brake fluid reservoirs,slackening and removal of chain from sprocket,which then allows you to remove cover and access relay.There is also a starter circuit relay and to get to that means battery and battery tray removal.Could also check starter/ignition fuse.It might pay to treat these connections with ACF50 or similar if as you say bike is used in damp misty conditions.Good luck with sorting it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Let us know when you find out what the problem is. Isn't the first incident similar to this and the more we know about it, the better (assuming they're related). Thanks and good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts