Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I know that our stock seat pan is metal, but what about the seat itself. is it fiberglass underneath the foam and cover. iow, if one swapped seats but kept the brushed aluminum pan, what material does triumph use for the seat that attaches to the metal pan? thanks for c any input.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edit: Anyone who bought the quilted or ribbed seat, what was the material on the backside, or the backside of the stock seat? Hope this clarifies.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The underside of the seat is a plastic molding which houses the locations for the many female thread clips (x7 i think) that are in place to screw the metal plate onto (including the x2 screws into the Triumph badge). These clips are not supplied in the replacement seat and as such are removed and re-used.
From what I remember the seat is glued and stapled onto the underside of this, between the two will be your foam padding.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect, thanks so much. I'm glad it's not metal on the underside. Now I can proceed with my winter project; custom made seat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It worked.
the bent spring steel with rubber encased bushing and the padding under the seat gave notable suspension improvement while holding firm at the stock seat angle.
It took a sizable road bump to make the seat bounce. (250 lb test rider)
And some road vibration has been lessened.

Any interest out there with helping us beta test this

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
It worked.
the bent spring steel with rubber encased bushing and the padding under the seat gave notable suspension improvement while holding firm at the stock seat angle.

I would certainly volunteer to be a beta tester on our sometimes nasty New England roads! I am just over 200lbs in my riding gear!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It worked.

I forgot, Zanetti, what are you trying to accomplish with this mod again? Thanks,

·
Registered
94 Posts
A question concerning the seat bracket; is there any reason to have this 'rat tail' visible under the seat? What will happen if I cut off what i see as excess at the blue line in the picture. That piece of metall irritates me more than I like as I cannot see any logical reason for it. I have pushed the seat all the way back to fit so.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
A question concerning the seat bracket; is there any reason to have this 'rat tail' visible under the seat? What will happen if I cut off what i see as excess at the blue line in the picture. That piece of metall irritates me more than I like as I cannot see any logical reason for it. I have pushed the seat all the way back to fit so.
its there for esthetics and style. like the fins of a 1950s vintage Cadillac, the stripes on a barber pole, hood ornaments and all the Kardashians.. its style over substance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
It worked.

I would be interested in testing also, been following your progress from the start

1 - 16 of 16 Posts