Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the bike, I knew that I wanted it to be something that I would learn to customize on my own. I hadn't really done much to my other bikes. I'm still early on in this phase but I've learned plenty of stuff about the bike and picked up some awesome skills along the way. It was going well and I enjoyed it, so I decided to take on my big project, something I've always wanted to learn -- painting.

I'm happy to write an extensive article on this if people are interested. It takes forever, it is far from as easy as I thought it would be, but I planned it out over a month and learned from forums, articles, videos, etc.. for about a month before that. There is a reason professionals charge a lot of money, it is intense work that requires a lot of tools to do it efficiently and there is undoubtedly a learning curve. Either way, I'd rather take 1/3 of the money that a pro quoted me for a single color paint job and invest it in a skill. I'm glad I did it.

Anyway, this was just a learning experience. I always wanted a white cruiser-type bike so I went with white base coat and I also incorporated white micro-flake in the clear coat. I know that I won't be keeping this for much longer, I'll be doing a completely custom full bike paint job soon. The paint supplies I bought are all long-term investments that I can use over and over, so I just wasted some white base coat, maybe $20-40 worth, and a fraction of the clear coat, maybe $20. Even if the whole thing wasted $100, it was worth it, I really did learn a **** ton by doing it myself before attempting the real paint job.

I slapped a unique and weird decal on the tank to just try something new. I just put it on today, not sure if I love it or hate it. Again, it is coming off in the next few months so w/e.

actual_white.jpg

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
I think the paint job looks amazing! I'm not a fan of the Triumph font, but that's a personal preference thing. It's interesting how the side cover looks like it's floating in the midst of all of the dark parts around it. How did the micro flake turn out? Any pics of it in the sun?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd be curious to know what spray equipment you bought and nozzle size.......

Painting is very difficult to do well..... I applaud you.... looks great......

koz

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the paint job looks amazing! I'm not a fan of the Triumph font, but that's a personal preference thing. It's interesting how the side cover looks like it's floating in the midst of all of the dark parts around it. How did the micro flake turn out? Any pics of it in the sun?
Thanks man. I am also on the fence about it but just something new to try.

I can try to take some pics for you but the overall verdict is that microflake (.004) is legitimately impossible to see, it was not worth using. Flake introduces some seriously annoying processes along the way.. gun clogging, cleaning between coats, sanding the intercoat layers, etc.. its really only worth it if you want that big metal flake pop, which the micro flake did not come close to providing. It is also somewhat my fault, I used white on white and flake is normally supposed to be a few shades different in color. I did see someone on YouTube do white on white with .015 and it looked awesome, although still rare to see the flake but when you did see it, it was pronounced.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be curious to know what spray equipment you bought and nozzle size.......

Painting is very difficult to do well..... I applaud you.... looks great......

koz
I'll put all the details in a write-up if I do one. I used 1.7mm nozzle for everything, but if I did it again, I would do one of two things:
1. 1.3-1.4mm nozzle for paint & clear, 1.7-1.8mm for flake intercoats
2. 1.3-1.4mm nozzle for paint & clear, dry air gun for flake

Probably #1, I don't think dry flake guns are the best option for .015 or smaller flake and it might be difficult to get it to work on weird spots like underneath fender edges or tank edges.
I primer with the good stuff in a can since you wet sand it anyway and it works out well, but if I primer with a gun, I'd get 1.8mm+.

Thanks though. It isn't showroom finish but next time it hopefully will be much closer to it, and it's nice for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts