Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone reversed into the front wheel of my bike while it was parked up. They didn't knock it over, just snapped the steering lock. The rest of the bike is straight and rides fine.

I don't use the steering lock by itself anyway so I'm tempted to leave it. But just for piece of mind, does anyone know if it's easy to take the lock out to check there is nothing rolling about in there that might jam the forks?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Someone reversed into the front wheel of my bike while it was parked up. They didn't knock it over, just snapped the steering lock. The rest of the bike is straight and rides fine.

I don't use the steering lock by itself anyway so I'm tempted to leave it. But just for piece of mind, does anyone know if it's easy to take the lock out to check there is nothing rolling about in there that might jam the forks?
I would definitely replace that lock, or at least remove it and retrieve the loose parts. It looks like a simple set screw holding it in place. (Which unfortunately means a thief could carry a Allen wrench to walk you bike away) ☹
You surely wouldn’t want to have the steering catch up on that loose piece while riding!

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Lock fell out of the fork last year. For no reason. Had a challenge with triumph covering it under warranty because they said the keys need to be replaced now. My dealer worked it out with them. I've not replaced it yet, because i have giving my B to the dealer for a week or more to do 2 hours of work. ..

·
Registered
230 Posts
As I had a crack in the ignition lock my dealer had to change both locks under warranty. Took them a whole day and they had major trouble with the steering lock as the instructions from Triumph how to remove it were wrong they claimed. After trying for two hours to do it by the book they drilled the lock out in order to replace it.

So if you replace it which I would strongly recommend (over here you get no insurance cover in the event of theft if the steering lock is not locked) make sure the mechanics know how to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts