Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm going to be picking up bike this Saturday without Fox shock or heated grips, long story short. They wanted me to wait another 10 days I think busy and mechanic issues. My bike has been delivered to site since 13th of this month and I am desperate to get hold of it (especially now weather is gorgeous), so offered them a compromise, give it to me without bits and I will happily wait until first service for them to fit. I am going to book first service when I pick bike up as they have a 3 week lead time. Anyways, I should be able to give some good feedback Fox V's standard, will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Smart move.
Will give you (and others on the forum) some good insight and unbuyest opinion of the Fox shock.
The heated grips work a treat. Really worthwhile having them.

A few more sleepless nights !!!
Congrats (almost...)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Nearly there good Sir!

I think I’d have done exactly as you have given the circumstances... smart thinking Batman!

Looking forward to further updates ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
What is your weight in riding gear? If you are around the 185 pound mark that the stock shock it targeting you won't see much difference! The further you deviate from that you will see more differences. The Fox is more adjustable!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is your weight in riding gear? If you are around the 185 pound mark that the stock shock it targeting you won't see much difference! The further you deviate from that you will see more differences. The Fox is more adjustable!
185 pound, I wish. Just got of the scales with shorts and a t shirt 196, so I'm guessing with gear on a little over 200.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s looking good that I am to buy a Bobber tomorrow, it has a Fox shock on it from new. I’m just under 185lbs but I’m not complaining. From many of the reviews I’ve seen it’s a welcome addition irrespective of weight.
Really excited about getting it 👍

·
Registered
382 Posts
For those looking to upgrade their rear shocks, I would suggest a look at the Matris or Wilbers shocks as they offer spring preload adjustment as well as custom spring choices depending upon your weight. I haven’t upgraded yet, but at 170lb. geared up, I will be using one of those choices as apposed to the Fox. Just my $0.02!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ordered the Matris shock and hope to install it this weekend. The rebound adjustment knob and preload collars are mounted at the rear of the shock so access to adjustment may be easier. It looks like the Fox shock has those items on opposite ends. The Matris has a lower price so I sprung for a fork kit as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Now that the weather is nicer and I have got the Bobber out again, I am constantly reminded of the shocking state of British roads and the subsequent impact on my spine (and teeth!!). Given I am close to 100kgs, I'm beginning to think I should have spent the money I just did on a new seat and bag on the FOX shock instead!! Perhaps that will have to be my next purchase.

I’m a healthy 245Ibs... the Fox will serve you well ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Now that the weather is nicer and I have got the Bobber out again, I am constantly reminded of the shocking state of British roads and the subsequent impact on my spine (and teeth!!). Given I am close to 100kgs, I'm beginning to think I should have spent the money I just did on a new seat and bag on the FOX shock instead!! Perhaps that will have to be my next purchase.
I highly recommend the Fox shock for (our) weight range.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have done 100 miles in 2 days. The Fox shock cannot come quick enough. I love riding this Bike, I couldn't stop smiling, but hit a slight bump and you are going to feel it. I honestly think Triumph will look at this at some stage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not a Fox but a Hagon

The Fox shock in the UK runs out at £350 rrp and even with my ‘RCD’......that’s regular customer discount......the best I could get it for was £310.

The standard shock has no adjustment of either compression or rebound and it’s said it’s set up for a 180lbs all up weight of rider and kit......my spine and internal organs can vouch that it is NOT appropriate for my all-up weight of me plus kit of 265lbs.....it’s a regular occurrence to hit bumps and pot-holes and get a very solid and very painful bottoming out hit through my hips, spine and internals.

Looking around for alternatives I came up with a Hagon shock.....£299.50p delivered to my door.....quote them your all-up weight and they’ll customise the spring to match that weight, it had adjustment for both compression and rebound, it came with a 2 year guarantee and it is totally re-buildable as well.....included in the box were Allen keys and a ‘C’ spanner to make compression and rebound adjustments. I ordered it on a Monday, it arrived on the following Wednesday and I fitted it on the Thursday morning and was test riding it by midday.

And wow!, what a difference.....over the same roads and speeds, no more bone crashing/crushing hits......just smooth, resilient suspension movement....so much more comfortable. Interestingly when I fitted the Hagon shock I had to lower the jack I was using to support the ‘swinging cage’ by about a half inch to get the eye bolts at either end of the shock to line up with the linkage connections so there must be a touch more shock stroke plus a whole lot more controllable compliance and with the stronger spring fitted, no bottoming out.

The shock arrived set at mid settings for both compression and rebound, going forward I will experiment to find the very best settings but even as is, it feels so much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Cheers,

Billybobber

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Within less than 5 minutes of riding with the Fox shock could feel a major difference. Cannot tell you what setting I am on, (anyone know what setting I should have, riding weight approx 14 stone) but everything feels much much smoother. Over the previous 500 miles I had started to tense up when coming across bumpy roads/pot holes etc not anymore. I cannot recommend this add on enough worth every penny. I cannot believe Triumph would think the standard shock is acceptable. Maybe it's just me (according to my dealership I am first Bobber to have fitted, they are keen to find out what I think).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Cannot tell you what setting I am on, (anyone know what setting I should have, riding weight approx 14 stone) but everything feels much much smoother.
I am not an expert but this has worked for me -

Screw the shock adjustment screw in to the tightest position. (Right=Tight/Left=Loose) Count the clicks as you go. Now loosen the adjustment back to where it was. If you want the ride to be a little softer screw the adjustment nut out a few more clicks. If you want the ride to be tighter screw the screw in for one or two clicks.

I weigh about 185 lbs without gear. (13 or 14 stones??) My adjustment screw is 11 clicks out from tight. I get jared if I hit a really big bump but most of the time my ride is pretty smooth.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i'm about 16.5 stone naked (i know you didnt want to hear that), toss in the bike kit on top. I have it tightned all the way up and backed off 2 clicks and that suits me. It does 'jar' a little but the back end stays planted whatever i toss at it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i'm about 16.5 stone naked (i know you didnt want to hear that), toss in the bike kit on top. I have it tightned all the way up and backed off 2 clicks and that suits me. It does 'jar' a little but the back end stays planted whatever i toss at it.
I’m around 16.5 stone in my padded cycling shorts, (I know you wanted to hear that) I’m running my fox shock two clicks soft from the middle setting.

I find the above provides a decent compromise between comfort and handling... although it’s worth noting I don’t ride flat out in the corners.

Having said all of the about... there’s no substitute for you going out on the bike for an or or two and just experimenting with the set up. No tools are required and it literally takes seconds to stop, adjust and to be on your way again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts