Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some great exhaust for this amazing bike, and I do plan on replacing the standard issue one on my own at some point. I must say though, the standard exhaust sounds amazing, I've had comments and noticed many smiles on people's faces when I've revved the engine.

The ONLY reason I'll be changing it, is for cosmetic reasons. I'm not interested in increased power or being overly-loud.

When I do go for a replacement (something thinner, slashed and turned out) are there ones which keep a lot of that low-growl? I know nothing about exhausts.

Cheers,
H

·
Registered
653 Posts
Take a look at Trident exhausts. Same look as stock but smaller and lighter. Also has a baffle that you can remove for more sound. However before you change the pipe, maybe you should try a x-pipe which will give you the lower growl that you want.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hello there H,

I think we have all been down this road one way or the other.

I'm with you on the aesthetics. For me personally I was going with a more traditional look, so went with the pea-shooter style from Bike Bros. It's very smooth running but still give a nice growl when opened up. Probably not what you're looking for in the looks department but there are some good options out there, so I'm sure you will find something to fit your needs.

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've seen some great exhaust for this amazing bike, and I do plan on replacing the standard issue one on my own at some point. I must say though, the standard exhaust sounds amazing, I've had comments and noticed many smiles on people's faces when I've revved the engine.

The ONLY reason I'll be changing it, is for cosmetic reasons. I'm not interested in increased power or being overly-loud.

When I do go for a replacement (something thinner, slashed and turned out) are there ones which keep a lot of that low-growl? I know nothing about exhausts.

Cheers,
H
I hope you have friends in Arizona. Seems like most exhausts are banned from California and vendors wont ship to Ca.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I hope you have friends in Arizona. Seems like most exhausts are banned from California and vendors wont ship to Ca.
I got mine shipped to CA by Brian/AJCycles without an issue. I don’t think getting the exhaust is the issue. Having a local shop do the work is the problem but it’s a pretty simple job.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Cheers,

H

I have the Vance & Hines fitted it does a great job on the growl.

IMG_3677.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the BC drags. You may want the BC slash cuts. Sounds like what your looking for. As for the sound of the stock exhaust. They have no sound. That’s the motor your hearing. To me no motorcycle should have a louder motor than exhaust. Loud pipes save lives. I love this bike, but to me it had a few faults. Luckily it’s a pretty easy bike to work on.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have tried several of the more popular combinations. This is how I would rank the ones I have tried in order of preference:

Stock, stock with x-pipe (same sound quality, but a little louder).

BC drag pipes, both with cat (louder than stock, But not as "throaty), and with x-pipe (very loud, obnoxiously so, IMO, because of the sound quality, loud with tinny harmonic undertones. This set up will get you into trouble volume wise, guaranteed). I will say however, that this set up is my favorite aesthetically.

Vance & Hines US spec, again with stock cat (slightly louder at idle than stock, with a nice throaty growl under load, best sound for sound sensitive areas IMO), and with the x-pipe (noticeably louder than stock, nice and thumpy at Idle, and under load it gives a pretty good throaty bark, if your looking for not so subtle attention getter, this is likely your best choice, But, it will likely also get you into trouble in sound measured areas under load, and, is also the most expensive option).

My favorite though is the Trident's. I will say that they sound pretty good even with the cat in place and baffles in (louder than both stock (catted or x-pipe) and the Vance & Hines with the cat in place), or baffles out (might be ok in sound measured areas as long as you use careful moderation, but I doubt it). Definitely throaty with a fair amount of crackle under load and deceleration.
Or, the piece de resistance,, x-pipe in place, louder still, this set up will definitely get you hated by your neighbors on a Sunday morning, and will, without a doubt, attract the wrong kind of Official attention should you miss them being in your immediate vicinity (like with in a block or so) But,, the sound... About the closest analogue I can think of is, a well tuned, race modified V8, when its under load.. This set up sounds Incredible, whether its at idle, or WOT all the way from idle to the rev limiter!. I do go back and forth between baffled and baffle-less quite often. Both sound fantastic. But the wide open version is like pure music to my ears :), I will how ever mention, that like Brandon Miller, and I'm sure several others, I am a firm believer in the "loud pipes" theory, but in this wide open form, at anything over slight throttle input, you will get a ticket,, guaranteed..
Having said that, I'd rather piss off the occasional sensitive snow flake, and be careful when grabbing a hand full of throttle to avoid a ticket, than be dead...

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Vance & Hines US spec, again with stock cat (slightly louder at idle than stock, with a nice throaty growl under load, best sound for sound sensitive areas IMO), and with the x-pipe (noticeably louder than stock, nice and thumpy at Idle, and under load it gives a pretty good throaty bark, if your looking for not so subtle attention getter, this is likely your best choice, But, it will likely also get you into trouble in sound measured areas under load, and, is also the most expensive option).
As an ex Triumph staff bike, I bought mine with a host of goodies already fitted, including the US spec V&H. After fitting the X-pipe, the sound is exactly what I was after, quite 'authentic' and as described by our good friend GBN here.
Regarding the legalities, I don't think they're anywhere near as loud as a Victory or a Harley with a stage 1, and there must be a swarm of those buzzing around in the States.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can anyone comment on the UK spec Vance & Hines , when adding a Motone x pipe?
I’ve got the pipes and have the Motone in my shopping cart .............. is it worthwhile?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of great advice and pointers, thank you.

I certainly want to move away from the fatter back-end, as I prefer the straighter, thinner slash-cut look.

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
I prefer the straight pipe look, so I went for Zards:

With the dbKillers in, they are slightly louder than stock, but they have a really great sound to them.

As a general comment, all aftermarket pipes are louder than stock, so if sound level is an issue I'd suggest staying with the stock. Take the dBkillers out of the Zards, and they're hella loud, which I don't like for both my own sake and for that of others. Also, power gains are negligible: the best you get is robbing Peter to pay Paul, so the power and torque curves may change shape a bit, a bump here and a dip there, but you don't get much of an improvement in the total power or torque under the curve.

Think about how much work manufacturers do to get the maximum power and torque, whilst keeping reliability and meeting legal requirements. Then change the exhaust anyway, because hey, it sounds so much louder!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can anyone comment on the UK spec Vance & Hines , when adding a Motone x pipe?
I’ve got the pipes and have the Motone in my shopping cart .............. is it worthwhile?
It really depends what you are after. I had the EU Spec V&H with Motone X-Pipe. The sound was a little deeper and more throaty after fitting the X-Pipe but only marginally louder. I was a little disappointed. It sounded better but not as good as I had expected/hoped for.
I now have the US Spec pipes and they sound amazing. For me, the bike now sounds like it looks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts