Triump Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks great.

I would probably consider it myself if I could be sure it didn't balls-up the Bobber's already decent handling.

·
Super Moderator
3,351 Posts
This might be a place to start:

Pure Triumph Wellingborough
+448443261770
The Embankment
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
NN8 1LD

Your signature doesn´t show a location - so noone has a way of knowing which area you are looking in...

·
Registered
117 Posts
This might be a place to start:

Pure Triumph Wellingborough
+448443261770
The Embankment
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
NN8 1LD

Your signature doesn´t show a location - so noone has a way of knowing which area you are looking in...

Hmmm I may have to check that dealership out, I've been there a few times, only an hours ride from myself.

That Bobber in the OP though, wow, looks amazing. I love the tank, I think the whole overall build would be my dream Bobber custom, I'd probably change the seat though.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Springer forks look the part, BUT are decades behind in performance, handling WILL suffer.

I have always liked them on bikes to be looked at, but not ridden.
I have to agree. Some years back I got to ride a new HD Springer coast to coast (Washington State to DC). A dream ride but I still remember the occasional pot-hole.:surprise::surprise: Saying that I personally love the springer look as it fits in with my 'vintage' preferences, so may go this rout down the road if it's viable.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
256 Posts
Springer forks look the part, BUT are decades behind in performance, handling WILL suffer.

Ditto.

Wouldn’t have bought the Bobber if it didn’t perform as well as look great.

·
Registered
540 Posts

I have to agree. Some years back I got to ride a new HD Springer coast to coast (Washington State to DC). A dream ride but I still remember the occasional pot-hole.:surprise::surprise: Saying that I personally love the springer look as it fits in with my 'vintage' preferences, so may go this rout down the road if it's viable.

Cheerio,

Roy
You can have both nowadays, but it ain't cheap, I have been seriously considering one of these

Custom Front Ends - D-66 Dragon Springer Front End Fork - American Suspension

Finished like this

but at a starting price of $3799 USD, it may take awhile.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If it were me (and it might be someday), I'd get thee to a custom motorcycle shop. Personally, my Triumph dealer recoils in horror every time I discuss any "non-Triumph sanctioned" changes to the bike. In other words, many Triumph dealerships (not all) are direct parts swappers only. Custom shops have lots of knowledge, and see changes like this as a welcomed challenge. They will do all the measurements and homework to get the right parts and handling dynamics. I have several in my immediate area that I'd trust to do the swap-out. I may ask them what they think.

Having said that... I read in some article that Triumph spent a lot of "trial and effort" to get the front suspension and tires tuned for the best handling. Do I really want to risk any degraded handling for "old school cool"? But, it's soooooo **** coool....!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not wishing to ruffle anyone's feathers, but it is a simple fact no matter how much measuring & homework anyone does, a springer front end will not perform as well as stock forks, the right ones will look cool but once you are rolling it is a compromise.
That D-66 front end would not suit the bobber at all IMHO, but to each his own.

·
Registered
540 Posts
They look like a fairy tale castle on 2 black pillars....

My opinion only, look to shiney and bling for the Bobber.
Man, I like shiney and bling :grin2: Black and chrome springer!? I mean come on!!! :wink2:

Honestly, I've always really liked the springer look, but, like several have said, my opinion only.

I have to agree with the pointy bits though, not really my thing, to OCC. But, if I read correctly, you can order them in a smooth top, regular round connections version. Handling, well yeah, probably wouldn't be doing ones self any favors there. Saying that, they do come with shocks built into the springs, and you can get an optional air ride in the main forks. Some of their other setups have different rake angles available, Not sure if you can order those ones, with the rake angles corrected, so the geometery is close to stock. If you can maybe not to terrible.

Lot of money for a maybe experiment though. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Thanks for that link David, had no idea such things were being made, great fun.

I must confess that if I had money to burn I would love to have an old school hardtail chopper built using the Triumph Bobber engine with a springer front end but then as a child of the 70's what do you expect..:surprise:

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts