Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is not unusual to see. Check to ensure that you don't go anywhere near them with a microfiber cloth when cleaning (even if pipes only warm).
A good metal polish with some light grain wet and dry will polish those pipes right up.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The occasional black spots have appeared on mine but they’ve always polished out.

Check this out this video it’s for cleaning an aftermarket exhaust on a standard Bonneville but the advice is sound.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've heard of people using chrome polish to get that out though I don't know exactly which brand would work best.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I ordered some Autosol metal polish. I assume that it works well enough on the brushed cases, silencers, etc on the Bobber.....not wanting something to abrasive that will cause scratches/swirling.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Don’t worry, it’s not too abrasive it’s just old school metal polish, which in the past I’ve typically used on chrome but since buying the bobber I’ve found it does work particularly well on the brushed exhausts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone tried Ouator metal polish? I have a couple of spots on the exhaust that are causing a mild OCD flareup and don't want to end up with "polished" spots instead.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried Autosol and a couple other polishes to no avail I gave up on trying to polish the spots out i'm going to most like chromed or ceramic coated, I found a company here in Thailand that can custom make me some fishtails like the Bike Brothers project bike, and real good price 2900 thb or $90.00 a piece, I just ordered an x-pipe will have all exhaust work when that comes in. Im really leaning towards chrome exhaust and black powder coat on all the cases

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I tried Autosol and a couple other polishes to no avail I gave up on trying to polish the spots out i'm going to most like chromed or ceramic coated, I found a company here in Thailand that can custom make me some fishtails like the Bike Brothers project bike, and real good price 2900 thb or $90.00 a piece, I just ordered an x-pipe will have all exhaust work when that comes in. Im really leaning towards chrome exhaust and black powder coat on all the cases
Did you try the sock method shown in that video? I had the same spots and it worked a treat with Autosol. Took a couple applications but worked.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you try the sock method shown in that video? I had the same spots and it worked a treat with Autosol. Took a couple applications but worked.
I used my drill with a buffing wheel, they looked great when i got done but the sports where still there:laugh:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hi Louie,

Sorry to hear you’ve had no luck polishing out the spots on you’re exhaust, maybe you’ve got a faulty set of pipes?

For me Autosol and a bit of elbow grease did the trick, 5mins and it was done! :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
G'day Louie,
I just complete a 700km ride in the highlands of Victoria, Australia during the three day ride we encountered humid and hot conditions followed by hail and rain, and gravel on the mountain roads. When I returned home and looked at my exhaust pipes I was mortified. Covered in baked on road grime, black spots and tar. I watch the video regarding the use of Autosol a product I have used on all my Triumphs over the years. After half an hour and heaps of elbow grease I was able to remove all marks including those hard to remove black spots I just had to do them several times and really work the tee shirt material hard. So I would give autosol another go and really place a lot of tension on the tee shirt material

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also like Meguires metal polish and have gotten great results on my previous bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After a couple of weeks back and forth with the dealer and their Triumph rep over this issue, I called Triumph North America and had a little chat with them According to Triumph NA tech support, the pipes on this bike are only supposed to bronze or blue, they are not supposed to turn this shitrustbrown whatever you want to call it. As of a little while ago, they had notified my dealer of a warranty approval and are shipping out new pipes for them to put on my bike. YMMV however, I would try the dealer and then the national line since having to polish these pipes at this point is complete and utter BS.

FYI, my pipes look exactly like the OP's, the bike has 1174 miles on it, and has never seen the rain or a wet wash.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts