Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Black
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Spirit Filters for my Airbox Delete project. The filter is made of a very soft, squishy silicone and is smooth inside. The throttle body has a ridge around the flange. When the clamp is tightened, the filter easily pops off the flange. After a short ride today, one fell off and the other was barely holding on.
I tried positioning the clamp close to the filter media, all the way toward the throttle, etc. I tried tighter, looser - nothing works. They're easy to remove with just a little pressure by hand.
Did anyone find anything that works better than the clamps?
I thought of maybe cutting a groove into the filter but was advised not to by A&J.
Suggestions?
20210424_170729.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mounted mine today as well, and noted the same thing. I ended up cutting some black duct tape very thin, and wrapping it around about 3 times on the very edge (outside). My reasoning was the clamp is forcing the filter to actually slide down the flange. Some force on the throttle body side was necessary. I clamped it, with the clamp on the extreme edge that way, tightened to "medium" tight, and they held through about 80 spirited miles on some rough roads. But I would sure like them to me better mounted. A grove is what should be there. I did leave the plastic brace on, and that required I clock the filters outboard. The gap is very small at the brace, and that may be helping mine stay on a small amount as well.

·
Registered
2018 Black
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mounted mine today as well, and noted the same thing. I ended up cutting some black duct tape very thin, and wrapping it around about 3 times on the very edge (outside). My reasoning was the clamp is forcing the filter to actually slide down the flange. Some force on the throttle body side was necessary. I clamped it, with the clamp on the extreme edge that way, tightened to "medium" tight, and they held through about 80 spirited miles on some rough roads. But I would sure like them to me better mounted. A grove is what should be there. I did leave the plastic brace on, and that required I clock the filters outboard. The gap is very small at the brace, and that may be helping mine stay on a small amount as well.
My experience exactly. They just barely hang on there. Eventually, they'll get lost.

I wonder if a zip-tie on the throttle body side of the flange would help? Maybe glue it in place with some liquid silicone? I can't believe we're the only ones who've had this issue. I'm sure someone came up with a repair.

Anyone else?

Reactions: Born Loser

·
Registered
765 Posts
Really like those filters and hope this is a temporary manufacturing flaw. You could mock up a piece of tube that fits the throttle body and cut/fit that up to the filter side... I thought of doing this with some hard silicone tube to create that angled Viba look without dropping insane cash on a 3-d printed adapter but decided against an airbox delete until my warranty is up and I can tune out the problems.

·
Registered
2018 Black
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really like those filters and hope this is a temporary manufacturing flaw. You could mock up a piece of tube that fits the throttle body and cut/fit that up to the filter side... I thought of doing this with some hard silicone tube to create that angled Viba look without dropping insane cash on a 3-d printed adapter but decided against an airbox delete until my warranty is up and I can tune out the problems.
That's an idea, but I'd still have to figure out how to get that smooth tubing to grip properly on the throttle inlet.
I don't think it's a manufacturing defect with the Spirit filters, so much as that those filters aren't made specifically for our bikes. I'm going to try putting a couple of zip-ties on the throttle side of the flange. My hope is that the zip-tie nubs will give enough bite into the inside edge of the filter that the filter will stay snug when I tighten the hose clamp over the filter.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I was experiencing the same issues as you are. After trying several setups, including using a small amount of silicone in the mounting surfaces of the filters and the Spirit racing intake runners in an attempt to keep everything attached, and trying to mount the filters directly to the throttle bodies. All of which failed resulting in open intakes. This is what I ended up with.

It consists of, 2" O.D. stainless exhaust tubing, a 4' long, 2" I.D. piece of HPS silicone hose that I carefully cut in half, 4x 1.77"-2.60 Mishimoto constant tension hose clamps, and the 2 K&N air filters. I had the stainless bent to 20 degrees at a local exhaust shop, then cut the bend in half, and polished them.

I have run them for a season now and they have not moved.

I also found the Spirit filters were not filtering very well, resulting in a fine layer of dust in the intake of the throttle bodies. Which is why I went for the K&N filters.

I'm not saying this is the best setup, but it is the best safe alternative I have been able to come up with, to replace the stock air boxes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My conversation with A&J from 9 months ago is below. Filters are clamped, haven't fallen off or loosened since. I ride year round. For the OP - do I see that bracket in your pic?
Me:
Do I have to remove the plastic bracket immediately below the throttle bodies in order to mount the Sprint filters supplied with order #AJ23448? Your video, with the K&N filters, leaves it in place to zip tie the uni-filter to. Every time I try and tighten the clamp on the Sprints, they slip off because the plastic bracket is in the way. Removing that bracket does not look easy and I'd rather not cut off the offending ends. Your input?

A&J:
for sprint it needs to be removed. Also the clamp needs to be on the outter edge of the filter when install. Snug down and keep clamp Straight and will be all good.
to remove the bracket, just loosen the two throttle body clamps and slide them back and to one side and you can remove it easily.

·
Registered
2018 Black
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was experiencing the same issues as you are. After trying several setups, including using a small amount of silicone in the mounting surfaces of the filters and the Spirit racing intake runners in an attempt to keep everything attached, and trying to mount the filters directly to the throttle bodies. All of which failed resulting in open intakes. This is what I ended up with.
That looks slick! And a great idea. Think I want to try and finagle the Spirit's first (although I'm HIGHLY concerned with the dust?!?) but this is an option.

Reactions: Great Black North

·
Registered
2018 Black
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A&J:
for sprint it needs to be removed. Also the clamp needs to be on the outter edge of the filter when install. Snug down and keep clamp Straight and will be all good.
to remove the bracket, just loosen the two throttle body clamps and slide them back and to one side and you can remove it easily.
Essentially my exact conversation with them, also. I've tried it all. The filters will maybe stay if there's no jostling, etc. but a stray knee or push with a hand and they'll fall off. At $80 a pop, I'm not interested in babying them and hoping for the best.
I'm going to try the zip-tie thing to give some traction, and maybe try something along Great Black's idea, but this solution isn't going to work on its own. Maybe my throttle body flanges are too short or something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great Black, that looks very clean!

I was not going to leave them that way - while they seemed secure enough to handle a ride, I also recognized I would be babysitting them all the time. Here is what I came up with. I massaged the original flange far into the fitler. That gave me the proper taper to hold onto the throttle body, and enough rigidity to tighten the clamp on the Spirit (don't over do it!). This way, they can be clocked down or sideways. Very secure.
IMG_5679.JPEG IMG_5679.JPEG

·
Registered
2018 Black
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I massaged the original flange far into the filter. ...
The original flange? I must be missing this part - is it on the airbox or something? Or is this the hose that connected the airbox to the flange? That's a GREAT idea - and it works all right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Flange isn't the right word - sorry. The correct word is something like "intake coupler" - what I am talking about is the rubber piece that connects the air box to the throttle body - it has 2 clamps. Take off one, and firmly, gently, slowly, work it into the filter. The filter is flexible enough to receive it - all the way to the one clamp you will re-use. Thats the side with the notch inside that mates with the metal barb on the throttle body. It certainly works - with 2 caveats.

1) Don't over tighten the filter clamp - I went finger tight, then hand tight with a socket and an extension. When I put the ratchet on, it tightened to the point the intake coupler collapsed. So don't go that far! Its PLENTY tight this way.
2) The extra length puts this filter right at the frame. I have about 2 pieces of papers gap. I worked it a while to get that. Might want to intentionally let it hit, so it doesnt move and tap it. On my test ride today, there was no tapping, the filters never moved, so maybe a moot point.

Way tighter than without. I wont leave it like it was. I am probably going to leave this set up, its fully functional, and plenty tight.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Great black, I didn't kno the k&n was tapered. I've look at some and they were just cylinders shape
I actually went digging through K&N's online catalog looking for 2" i.d. mounting flange filters, expecting to find conical or the flat pancake styles, was pretty happy when I found these. used their part number to find them on Amazon.
I have been a K&N user for many years, and as long as you don't let them dry out, or get to dirty, they just work. Plus,, you aren't replacing them every time they get dirty.

That looks slick! And a great idea. Think I want to try and finagle the Spirit's first (although I'm HIGHLY concerned with the dust?!?) but this is an option.
I admit I was skeptical about the Spirit's when I saw them originally, but I knew Donaldson make a similar filter for Volante intake systems, so I gave it a try,, I was pretty disappointed with the amount of dust I found. But, I will add, they had come off prior to finding the grit,, so..

·
Registered
2018 Black
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No dice on using a zip-tie. The filter won't fit over the nub.

Also, I can't get the original silicone flange tube into the filter without deforming it. I'm pretty sure it will leak, and I wouldn't be able to use it if I ever decided to restore to stock/sell.
My next idea is to wrap the inside of the throttle flange with some electrical tape or something to level it with the ridge that encircles the flange.

After that, I'm thinking about a rig like GBN's. It looks great, but now I'm in for another $100...

On the plus side, my cover project turned out nicely...

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, I can't get the original silicone flange tube into the filter without deforming it. I'm pretty sure it will leak, and I wouldn't be able to use it if I ever decided to restore to stock/sell.
It clearly fits - that whats in my picutre. But it is very snug. Lots of pressure pushing it in, slight twisting, let the filter "stretch" just a bit, then work it in a little more. The idea is to stretch the filter, not collapse the tube. It so tight, the clamp is probably not even necessary.

Second ride today, and I am keeping this set up. All good.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Great idea reusing stock parts for fabrication born loser, was thinking you could use the stock side covers with a couple brackets molded on to mount at the old air box screw locations myself but didn't want to open pandoras box...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts