Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across these today and I sure wish I had found them sooner. For anyone like me that has a heck of a time trying to solder wires and shrink wrap them afterward, these babies make it about as easy as it can get, as long as you have a heat gun to use them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ILGT2OO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not affiliated with this company or anything. Just passing the idea along to help make life a little easier for those installing aftermarket lighting etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ran across these today and I sure wish I had found them sooner. For anyone like me that has a heck of a time trying to solder wires and shrink wrap them afterward, these babies make it about as easy as it can get, as long as you have a heat gun to use them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ILGT2OO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not affiliated with this company or anything. Just passing the idea along to help make life a little easier for those installing aftermarket lighting etc.
Looks great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use those but that kit only comes with a few white and red which is what you need for bikes. Blue are for 14g car wires. Wouldn’t buy that kit if you mostly work on bikes. They sell just the whites and the reds which is a better deal in the end

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use those but that kit only comes with a few white and red which is what you need for bikes. Blue are for 14g car wires. Wouldn’t buy that kit if you mostly work on bikes. They sell just the whites and the reds which is a better deal in the end
Agreed. I work on both, so some of the bigger ones will come in handy too. Gotta get an air horn installed in my car and these should make it a lot easier and cleaner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been on the fence about getting some New Rage 360 wrap around signals but don’t have confidence in my soldering ability. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of heat gun . Any regular type or something specific?
I picked up a Wagner heat gun 20 years ago, so I don't have any specific recommendations, but any "heat gun" vs a lower heat hair blow dryer should do the trick. The main thing is the ability to direct a good amount of heat to a focused point so it'll melt the solder and shrink the shrink wrap.

·
Super Moderator
771 Posts
Just to repeat something I said in the Aux Socket thread, solder joints are frowned upon these days in aero industry because a solder joint makes that part of the cable brittle and subject to breaking. Apparently current practice is to use good quality crimp fittings with a good quality crimp tool...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Luckily I still have about 1/4 of a reel of 'proper lead based solder' still knocking about (and yes i know it's now considered nasty stuff but considering i worked running a flow solder machine for 3 years (feeding bars of lead based material into it) any damage is well and truly done already!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts