Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old power washer decided it was time to give up the ghost. Was 15 years old, a gas Husky from Home Depot with a Honda motor.

So, figured I'd try an electric one. Bought a Greenworks 2200psi model.

To be honest, I have used pressure washers on houses, decks, concrete, etc with a solution in the soap tank, but I have never actually used the "soaping" feature on a car or bike. Lame?

At any rate, I'd like to suds up the bike like some of the photos I have seen on the forum for a good soaking (not to blast the bike with pressurized water...).

Question is, can I use the regular car wash soap in the solutions tank, or is there a specific type that is for that (if so, what are you using)?

Again, lame.....I usually always just handwashed and never bothered with a "soap suds soaking..."

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have a gas power washer for my house and driveway. I use a Greenworks electric power washer to wash my car.

If I use a car wash soap by Chemical Guys. (They have several that work in pressure washers.) Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner or Griot's Garage 10866 Car Wash also work well in a pressure washer.

I have been detailing cars for 50+ years. I don't often use a pressure/power washer on my cars. (She is in need of a good detailing.)

I haven't used a pressure washer on my bike yet because I don't usually ride in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a gas power washer for my house and driveway. I use a Greenworks electric power washer to wash my car.

If I use a car wash soap by Chemical Guys. (They have several that work in pressure washers.) Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner or Griot's Garage 10866 Car Wash also work well in a pressure washer.

I have been detailing cars for 50+ years. I don't often use a pressure/power washer on my cars. (She is in need of a good detailing.)

I haven't used a pressure washer on my bike yet because I don't usually ride in the rain.
Nice ride!

I have Mequir's Gold Class Car wash at home so will roll with that.

I do use the pressure washer on cars, but haven't ever used the suds functions.

I don't plan on using the "pressure" part of the pressure washer, but the soaping suds aspect. Which is supposed to only be like 100psi from the new power washer.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Gents.

How much does one put in the soap tank? Typically a couple gap fulls is enough to hand wash a car.

But the tank is like a gallon size or more. Do you dilute the Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo to the same ratio of soap and water?

Yes yes, I consulted my manual....all it said was use this for soaps or cleaning chemicals....

For items like siding, or the deck, it's typically a diluted solution...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought a foam lance for my pressure washer. If you want lots of suds these work really well.
Yes! I have one of those. I should have said that.

You can also buy a foamer for your garden hose. They are almost as effective.

I tend not to use a foamer. Where I live, it is so hot in the summer time that the foam almost dries before I can get the whole car foamed.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes! I have one of those. I should have said that.

You can also buy a foamer for your garden hose. They are almost as effective.

I tend not to use a foamer. Where I live, it is so hot in the summer time that the foam almost dries before I can get the whole car foamed.
The Greenworks washer, has a foam nozzle for it already, is this not adequate?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thanks, Gents.

How much does one put in the soap tank? Typically a couple gap fulls is enough to hand wash a car.

But the tank is like a gallon size or more. Do you dilute the Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo to the same ratio of soap and water?

Yes yes, I consulted my manual....all it said was use this for soaps or cleaning chemicals....

For items like siding, or the deck, it's typically a diluted solution...
We might be talking about two different applications -

1. A foamer goes on the end of the pressure washer hose or on the end of a garden hose. IMHO this gives the best application of foam. Read the manual for percentages of cleaner to water.

2. Some pressure washers have a built in chemical tank that you can put a cleaner in. The chemical is sprayed when you use the no pressure tip. If you are using the built in tank you can use 100% cleaner in the tank.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The Greenworks washer, has a foam nozzle for it already, is this not adequate?
I'm in California. My pressure washer is in North Carolina. Does the Greenworks washer have a suction hose that you can put into a container of soap? If so, that is adequate but it is not the best solution. The foamer (or foam lance) is a much better solution. It plugs into the end of your pressure washer just like your various tips plug into your pressure washer. The foamer has a bottle attached to it. You put the soap in the bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Original-Professional-Adjustable-Bottle/dp/B004GNZYY4

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Applicator-Universal-Attachment-51362/dp/B014RE2VEW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WPKHFA6/ref=psdc_9425932011_t2_B014RE2VEW

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We might be talking about two different applications -

1. A foamer goes on the end of the pressure washer hose or on the end of a garden hose. IMHO this gives the best application of foam. Read the manual for percentages of cleaner to water.

2. Some pressure washers have a built in chemical tank that you can put a cleaner in. The chemical is sprayed when you use the no pressure tip. If you are using the built in tank you can use 100% cleaner in the tank.
I have a different set up on my pressure washer for the use of snow foam... here’s a clip I found which is pretty much what I have and use.

The idea behind snow foam for those that aren’t aware... the foam slowly works it’s way down the vehicle and as it does so it works loose the dirt, road grime and contaminants etc. You then simply jet the vehicle off before washing in a conventional manor with a shampoo and sponge.

The idea is that it removes particles, grit and so on, that you would otherwise be working into your paintwork with a sponge which can possibly leads to scratches.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a different set up on my pressure washer for the use of snow foam... here’s a clip I found which is pretty much what I have and use.

https://youtu.be/9rkhyfWV0Tw

The idea behind snow foam for those that aren’t aware... the foam slowly works it’s way down the vehicle and as it does so it works loose the dirt, road grime and contaminants etc. You then simply jet the vehicle off before washing in a conventional manor with a shampoo and sponge.

The idea is that it removes particles, grit and so on, that you would otherwise be working into your paintwork with a sponge which can possibly leads to scratches.

Good on you. I was about to make an ass of myself and ask why would anyone foam? I still wonder why use a pressure washer on a bike. It forces water and soap into places you sure don't want it but that's just my opinion, of course. AND I have no experience with pressure washers other than driveways and stripping loose paint.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Good on you. I was about to make an ass of myself and ask why would anyone foam? I still wonder why use a pressure washer on a bike. It forces water and soap into places you sure don't want it but that's just my opinion, of course. AND I have no experience with pressure washers other than driveways and stripping loose paint.
Pressure washers are wonderful tools. I have three. >:)

I have used a pressure washer on a BMW R1200GS but it was muddier than I will ever get my Bobber. :|

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
A pressure washer is a huge asset... it ensure grime and grit is removed that would otherwise act as an exfoliant against your paint when running a sponge over it. If your bike is sound paint wise there’s no chance of removing paint unless you’ve bought the wrong pressure washer but your basic domestic washer will not harm your bike at all. Just don’t go blasting those delicate electrical areas.

As for removing the water... well that’s just as easy :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Small amount of research done....

Using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner at a suggested 1:400 ratio did not produce much suds at all to soak the bike with. And left me with a tank filled with watered down soap I had to drain.

I'll have to play with the ratio.

The Greenworks pressure washer kept tripping 1 of 2 GFI plugs in my garage. Of course the one it was tripping was closest to the garage opening (allowing me more cable to get out into the driveway), and the one that didn't was at the far back wall. Was not happy at all about it tripping the GFI outlet. There was nothing else plugged into increasing the load either. I was ready to pack it back up and return then tried the far back wall. I'll have to try other ones on the outside (deck) to see if they trip or not. Could be I have an issue with the one receptacle.

Since this model does not have a manual "soap", "no soap" selection, I think it senses the output pressure based on the connected nozzle and restricts the pressure, and can bypass the soap container...only thought of that just now....prob could have not drained the soap tank..

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in California. My pressure washer is in North Carolina. Does the Greenworks washer have a suction hose that you can put into a container of soap? If so, that is adequate but it is not the best solution. The foamer (or foam lance) is a much better solution. It plugs into the end of your pressure washer just like your various tips plug into your pressure washer. The foamer has a bottle attached to it. You put the soap in the bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Original-Professional-Adjustable-Bottle/dp/B004GNZYY4

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Applicator-Universal-Attachment-51362/dp/B014RE2VEW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WPKHFA6/ref=psdc_9425932011_t2_B014RE2VEW
I am going to stop in at Lowes and pick up the foam cannon on the way home today (checked, they have some). Looking at some vids online, yah, that's the kind of foam/suds I'd like to get. Some good soaking ones....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts