Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to motorcycles and have previously only owned/ridden a sh!tty Chinese Honda clone and A Suzuki VanVan, neither of which would set the world alight. However, thanks to a contact in the motor trade, I picked up a 2016 Africa Twin on Saturday with the aim of maybe a few miles over the coming months while the Bobber is tucked away, storage over the winter with a small amount of prep before selling for a profit in the spring. Enduro/Touring bikes aren't my thing, so it's purely business

Thing is, I've kind of fallen for it. It's comfy, light and easy to maneuver, fast (not the same bottom end torque so still adjusting to the slow speed stuff), tall - so overtaking isn't planned quite so far in advance and boy does it howl when on the throttle, it sounds absolutely awesome, even with the standard set-up! I rode it home on wet roads and arrived dry and even forded a flooded road yesterday and didn't get a drop of water on me.

No way I'll ditch the bobber (not a singel person looked at me on the Honda - part of the reason not to own one) but I am smitten.

E.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P.S
I recommend you try an MRA X-creen to reduce/eliminate buffering if you have any.
It’ll make the riding experience even more serene and enjoyable.
https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_X-creen_Sport_Motorcycle_Windshield_Spoiler_Defelctor.html#aMRA_2dXCSA
Aiming to spend as little as possible - I need to replace the hand guards, possibly add a centre stand and then a good, deep valet. Hopefully, that way I'll have some profit to spend on something else...possibly a C90 cub for customising

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
It’ll be interesting to hear if you actually do sell it after some use.
These kind of bikes grow on you and they usually end up taking their very own spot in the garage...

·
Registered
138 Posts
VanVans may not set the world alight but they are cool little bikes for rural roads. If I didn't have to commute on the motorway regularly I'd have kept mine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VanVans may not set the world alight but they are cool little bikes for rural roads. If I didn't have to commute on the motorway regularly I'd have kept mine.
125 or 250? The 125 I have is fun to ride and unbelievably comfortable. Sadly, not sure it's got the guts to cope with current peak fighting weight and with the festive season approaching, that is only likely to increase. It's my winter project and will be sold in the spring.

E.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Adventure sport bikes can be really good on the road. My previous bike was a Guzzi Stelvio NTX, which I moved to from a Guzzi Norge. The long travel suspension was like a magic carpet ride on UK roads - you could hit a pothole and not lose all your fillings... If it wasn't for a knee op giving me a problem (ahem) "getting my leg over", then I would still have it... But then I would have missed out on the Speedmaster which has been a revelation...

One anecdote about the Stelvio; the handling was so good, I touched a peg down on a roundabout two up, and 'er indoors didn't even know!

·
Registered
138 Posts
125 or 250? The 125 I have is fun to ride and unbelievably comfortable. Sadly, not sure it's got the guts to cope with current peak fighting weight and with the festive season approaching, that is only likely to increase. It's my winter project and will be sold in the spring.

E.
125 - a few guys I knew on the VanVan forum bought the 200 and said it wasn't any faster. I did the usual thing fitting a front sprocket with one tooth less which made it a much better ride on faster roads. But it was still pretty much on the limit at anything above 55mph. It would cruise at 65mph but hit the rev limiter at 68mph. Beforehand it couldn't hold top gear with any kind of headwind or incline.

Great little bike for just about all other kinds of riding though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts