Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
That’s no small oil leak.
It looks like a warranty job and the dealer will probably need to replace those cables, sensors and the regulator/rectifier if it’s been contaminated with oil too.
Only once the entire alternator cable has been pulled will you be able to see the extent of the leak.

Just wondering, are you using 10w40 or 10w50 oil?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s not actually dripping into the floor that’s why I thought it was small, I only noticed it as I was polishing the frame, I’m not sure about the oil it has had its first service but only covered 450miles

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Do you have drops of oil hitting the floor yet?
(Don’t pay attention to the black dots)

And is the leak emanating from this area?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing on the floor that I have seen but the bike does sit on a bike mat so it is possible, yea that’s exactly where it’s coming from

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I recommend you clean the area as thoroughly as possible and see if the oil keeps on dripping down.
It can take A LONG time for droplets of escaped oil to seep down and the leak may have started from day 1.
It definitely needs to be brought to the attention of your dealer while you still have warranty and please humor me and ask them
which grade oil they used. I would appreciate that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get it booked in tomorrow, I noticed it last weekend so I cleaned all that off and just went out and checked again and the plug has a coating over it again ?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Expect your bike to be at the dealer for a while!
It’s quite a job getting to & removing the alternator cable; it requires taking off the rear tire, fender, ECU, side panels, etc etc...

Please keep us in the loop re. diagnosis and repair.

Good luck and I hope it’s resolved quickly for you.
Triumph give excellent customer service when it comes to warranty and maybe you can even get a loaner bike ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea will keep you up to date, I’m not too fussed how long it takes within reason as it’s only a weekend toy for me so I can do without it for a while.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Mine developed a leak soon after purchase. Like yours it wasn’t dripping on the floor but underneath it did look pretty significant but then a little oil often can look worse than it is. It was sent back to the dealership three times, each time they cleaned it up and then told me they couldn’t find the source of the leak.

Big Bear, (a member on here... not my imaginary friend) on here made a suggestion based on having experienced the same issue and it turned out he was 100% correct. It was gally plug as he called it. I’m not sure if this is how it’s named in the U.K. as my dealer didn’t seem to know what I was referring to... in the end I provided them with a pic, (which I can’t seem to find for you) and just showed them. The part was ordered, it was installed and I’ve been leak free ever since!

Here’s my original thread...

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/625-triumph-bobber-issues-problems/13167-still-losing-oil.html

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/625-triumph-bobber-issues-problems/13167-still-losing-oil.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I phoned my dealer today so I’m going to swing in past before they close tonight for them to check it out, hopefully it’s something straight forward.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Mine developed a leak soon after purchase. Like yours it wasn’t dripping on the floor but underneath it did look pretty significant but then a little oil often can look worse than it is. It was sent back to the dealership three times, each time they cleaned it up and then told me they couldn’t find the source of the leak.

Big Bear, (a member on here... not my imaginary friend) on here made a suggestion based on having experienced the same issue and it turned out he was 100% correct. It was gally plug as he called it. I’m not sure if this is how it’s named in the U.K. as my dealer didn’t seem to know what I was referring to... in the end I provided them with a pic, (which I can’t seem to find for you) and just showed them. The part was ordered, it was installed and I’ve been leak free ever since!

Here’s my original thread...

I’m not giving you a LIKE until you find that photo... :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so bike went to the dealer today and the mechanic thinks it’s leaking from the filter I’m a bit sceptical but will give it the benefit of the doubt, he nipped it up a little bit and did say the triumph filters are not the best.

So I have to see if it stops if not the next step is to drop the oil and change the filter, if that still fails then they will start stripping it down.

They have started at the cheapest/easiest option which I am not complaining about at all as I would do the same and the drive by service is also really good.

Time will tell....

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Great if it’s only that.
It’s always a process of elimination to find these issues and I don’t blame them for trying the simplest approach first.
Keep an eye on the area and let us know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts