Triumph Bobber Forum banner

My Bobber Black, or now Bobber Grey.

12K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Chino 
#1 ·
This is more a what have I done over the last few weeks, but meh.

Bobber Black, UK model. Came with the Vance and Hines and the heated grips, and I've done all of the other stuff, including the side mount, short fender and LED lights today (which was a PITA, but I'm not paying Triumph the best part of £400 ($500) to do them. I would have gone outside to take better pictures, but I've been in the garage for so long I didn't realise it had started raining and I don't have a numberplate on it!

So, we have;

Black Vance & Hines
Black intake covers
Black ribbed TPS covers
Black ribbed ACG badge
Black ribbed clutch badge
Black bolt kit
Mirrors upside down
LED front lights, with the aluminium bezel painted in body colour
Multifunction rear lights, with the aluminium bezel painted in body colour
Side mount plate (which I have to get a new plate for, as the 7x5 plate I had is a touch too big)
Short rear fender

Pretty much how I want it to be for the moment. I might look at changing a few more of the screws and bolts to black ones where I can,

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I don’t think there’s much else I want to do, other than replacing a few more of the silver bolts as mentioned, and maybe one of the panniers to put my locks in. I may consider the short fender, but I’ll wait until I need to take the wheel off for something, as the back wheel put me off ?

#5 ·
Just ordered the last few bits I want, and waiting for the Xpipe I want to come in to stock.

Have the clip ons, short front fender, a few more black bits and will get them fitted after Christmas. I'll then start looking at replacing the silver bolts with black ones of the same size as and when I can find a good source to get them. Might even look at doing a few kits once I'm organised.

#6 ·
Looks nice DeeEff, well done. I have the Bobber Black in Gloss, nice to see your setup, gives me a good idea of what I'm after.

I'm looking at getting the Short Rear Fender and Side Mount number plate holder. How do the rear lights perform? I understand they're multifunctional, but there is no need for a tail light no? Can the reflector on the number plate holder be removed? Was this kit just plug and play?

Sorry for the questions, just wanna make sure I'm spending my money on the right kit, any tips are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

#7 ·
The rear lights are ok, but you lose the orange indicators and end up with the red indicators instead and as you've said, both also act as the brakelight. Not strictly legal in UK, but no issues with the fuzz so far. MOT time in a few years might be more of an issue.

The reflector itself can be removed, but then you'll be left with a blank metal panel which you can't remove. Obviously it won't stand out that much without a reflector. Kit just plugs in to existing loom, no need to rewire or cut wires and can be reversed. You just need to change the settings on the clocks so the indicators work, which is a 30 second job.

Overall, job took me about 3 hours to do on my own. Bit of a faff removing the rear wheel (and replacing it) to get the fender off, but it can be done on your own.

#8 ·
Ordered a few more bits, which pretty much means I've exhausted the Triumph accessories catalogue, haha

Now have the short front fender, Motone X-pipe, Bobber Black clip ons (after receiving the wrong part thanks to Triumph!) and a few more black bits. Will do most of the bits myself, but might get the dealership to do the brakeline and front fender, as I don't want to mess about with the ABS, and because I don't have a jack to be able to lift up the front wheel. I'll probably get it done first thing in January, with new pics to follow!

#11 ·
I have no idea what is going on with this forum today. Real issues with trying to upload the pictures.

Anyway. Last ride to Surrey Hills for a few weeks. Getting too cold and damp without having to don textile kit, which doesn't really suit the bike.

Attachments

#15 ·
Only a minor update for the moment. It annoys me that the black bolt kit from Triumph only replaces the bolts on the engine/alternator covers, and not the rest of the bits. So given that its a Bobber Black and all of the other bits have been changed for black bits where possible, I'm just starting to replace silver/stainless steel bolts and fixings, for the equivalent in a black oxide or similar finish where possible.

First one to be done is the TPS cover. 6 screws in total, all in a M4 x 16mm thread with a Phillips/Cross head. £4.60 ($6) for all of them, although I'm sure that I could get them much cheaper if I actually went to a fixings shop or bought in bulk. Either way, it does look slightly better.

(Please excuse shaky pics!)

Next main thing to be done is that the bike is going in to be ceramic coated. The paint is immaculate at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way. Looking at costing me around £200 ($260) to be done, but will offer a good layer of protection against road dirt and salt.

#18 ·
So, changed the indicators for the smaller 40mm ones, and the EU spec 40mm multifunction lights. Also got stopped by a bored copper who gave me a ticket for the numberplate, so have had to try and work out how to get a UK legal one on the side mount. Thankfully, because its on an 18 plate, I can get away with a 194mm wide one with the legal font.

Attachments

#20 ·
They're all Triumph parts, but have come from various dealers depending on where I found the best price. Normally its from WorldofTriumph, eBay, or Fowlers Parts. Parts numbers as below

Triumph short rear fender A9700401
Side mounted plate A9750730
Triumph EU multifunction rear lights A9830140

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.