Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It turns out my dealership has one of the Shido lithium batteries in stock, at a cost of £73... only £13 more than the standard battery, so I’ve decoded to give it a go as I understand they last a lot longer.

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
Was it ciphered in the first place to require decoding? :grin2:

Seriously be interested how you get on with it...

·
Registered
310 Posts
It turns out my dealership has one of the Shido lithium batteries in stock, at a cost of £73... only £13 more than the standard battery, so I’ve decoded to give it a go as I understand they last a lot longer.
The Lithium batteries are a lot lighter than lead acid. My only concern would be the trickle charger as they seem to be a bit specific about what will and what wont work. I take it £73 includes fitting? I have to say that seem a bit steep. A standard lead acid for the Bobber is under £30 such as this one Its not a difficult job to swap the battery.

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
The Lithium batteries are a lot lighter than lead acid. My only concern would be the trickle charger as they seem to be a bit specific about what will and what wont work. I take it £73 includes fitting? I have to say that seem a bit steep. A standard lead acid for the Bobber is under £30 such as this one Its not a difficult job to swap the battery.

I had some info from the Southampton Boat Show for Lithium boat batteries, and they had circuitry built in to take standard 12V charger input... I would think the bike battery would be the same...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Lithium Ion batteries definitely have some attractive features and benefits. For example, I'd love to save several pounds of weight and have some extra room in my battery box for other small items (tools, electronics, etc.). I also like the fact that they hold a charge better than lead-acid batteries. But they also carry some negatives and risks. I'm certainly no expert but I believe if you somehow significantly discharge them, they are finished. They also cost more and sometimes need to be "woken up" in really cold weather. That does not bother me much, but what does bother me is the increased risk of fire.

Auto and motorcycle battery manufacturers seem to have gotten that problem under control to a great degree. And they will happily tell you so. But 10-15 years ago the manufacturers of smaller type Li-Ion batteries told us that too, yet there have been countless fires and explosions since then. At an electrical safety regulatory meeting I attended a few years ago a representative from NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) went over several of these events and the subsequent investigations in detail. Some of them had to do with portable, wearable "safety equipment" used in mining. Turns out that years after manufacturers declared the Li-Ion batteries "safe" a few unfortunate people found out that they are sometimes, as the NIOSH representative put it, "latent hand grenades."

I accept the risk of my iPhone having a meltdown because I think the sales volume of those batteries drives more thorough research and potential liability risk for giant companies which results in proportionately smaller risk to me and my family as individuals. I also feel safer knowing my phone is usually with me and I have smoke alarms throughout my home for when I am sleeping. My motorcycle, conversely, sleeps in my garage with cars, power equipment and dispensing containers full of gas, and I do not have any smoke alarms in my garage. My teenagers sleep in bedrooms above and beside my garage, on the opposite side of the house from where my wife and I sleep, so I worry about their safety in the event of a garage fire and potential subsequent gas-fueled explosion.

These are the things I think about each time I consider abandoning lead-acid batteries. At some point I might make the switch, because I like technology and I want the benefits. But I just don't have enough data on Li-Ion motorcycle batteries yet. Your viewpoint and opinion may differ and I totally respect that. After all, the more people who take the plunge before me, the more quickly I will reach my own level of comfort (or determine that the risks have still not been sufficiently mitigated).

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long have you had the battery? Have you had it on a battery tender? I'm curious because the OEM battery is at least AGM, which is a solid technology and should last a good while.
Just over one year... the bike was used every few days for the first 4 months of ownership so it was never left for any prolonged period time without use. Come time to put it away for the winter it was left of a battery tender. This year I had used it a few times without any issues, and in between its been left on the battery tender.

So to my mind it must have been a faulty battery as it was looked after pretty well.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting fact chaps... Triumph (UK) state that the standard battery is only expected to last for 2 years and that’s on the assumption you use a trickle charger.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Mine is 2,5 years old, never seen a trickle charger and only used in good weather (meaning it’s parked up ALOT from January to April).
Still going strong!

But I feel I have opened my mouth too soon and my battery will probably give up the ghost promptly after submitting this bragging post...>:)

Either way, I’ll be replacing it with an OEM battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I went with this one. We shall see how it does. It has slightly less cold cranking amps (10 less), other than that appeared to be the same.

NICHE Performance Series Replacement AGM Battery for YTX9-BS, Rechargeable, Maintenance Free, Sealed | 125CCA, 12V, Self Activated

**** battery arrived. Kinda thinking I prob should have shopped around more, but we will see. If the 30 dollar battery lasts even a year, it was only 30 bucks.****

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is 2,5 years old, never seen a trickle charger and only used in good weather (meaning it’s parked up ALOT from January to April).
Still going strong!

But I feel I have opened my mouth too soon and my battery will probably give up the ghost promptly after submitting this bragging post...>:)

Either way, I’ll be replacing it with an OEM battery.
I think I remember a little birdie, (you :grin2:) telling me that you disconnect your battery over the winter period?

If so that would in theory make a little bit of difference, as a connected battery will have a little parasitic drain.

None the less, I think I along with a few others who have seen their batteries die well before the two year mark might just have had dodgy batteries in the first place.

But again it’s worth noting... we are asking a lot of such a little battery, taking into account that a 1.2 litre equivalent engined car runs a 12 volt battery... perhaps an average of a couple of years is all we can reasonably expect from a battery on the back foot from the start.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree with GPz to a degree.

When i moved from Ni-Cad to Lipo (Lithium Polymer) batteries for Airsoft, i invested in a 'Battery Charging Bag', I think i used that about twice, 7 years down the line and multiple random batteries for Airsoft toys, vapes, phones, never so much as had a swollen cell BUT it can and will happen to someone, I know it's going to sound perverse but if the house burns down that's a pain in the bum for the landlord but if MY bike goes nuclear due to a duff Lipo battery....now that would bloody well sting!

Besides i popped 70 quid on a trumpet optimate some years back which i can leave out in the rain/snow in winter if i need to pop some juice into the battery, cant do that with a Turnigy Lipo charger!

Tho the space saving for fitting the odd bit of tat like a tracker may sway me depending on what insurance does this year!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with GPz to a degree.

When i moved from Ni-Cad to Lipo (Lithium Polymer) batteries for Airsoft, i invested in a 'Battery Charging Bag', I think i used that about twice, 7 years down the line and multiple random batteries for Airsoft toys, vapes, phones, never so much as had a swollen cell BUT it can and will happen to someone, I know it's going to sound perverse but if the house burns down that's a pain in the bum for the landlord but if MY bike goes nuclear due to a duff Lipo battery....now that would bloody well sting!

Besides i popped 70 quid on a trumpet optimate some years back which i can leave out in the rain/snow in winter if i need to pop some juice into the battery, cant do that with a Turnigy Lipo charger!

Tho the space saving for fitting the odd bit of tat like a tracker may sway me depending on what insurance does this year!
That reminds me... I need to whip the cover off to check the size of the new lithium battery. I thought they would be smaller but according to the technician they are exactly the same size as stock... although significantly lighter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts