Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install one of these? Since I'm used to having it on my Indian Scout and previous HDs, I find it a major PITA when I forget to turn the signal off and am riding down the road like some old lady with the blinker on. I see that AJ Cylcles had it from STS. Is installation quick and easy? Does it work flawlessly? Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I installed it with Brian at A&J this past weekend. So far so good. Seemed a little unreliable with slight lane changes on the highway if you weren’t leaning enough. Regular turns it worked flawlessly. I need to get back out and ride but it’s been raining before I give it a lengthier review.

Anyone install one of these? Since I'm used to having it on my Indian Scout and previous HDs, I find it a major PITA when I forget to turn the signal off and am riding down the road like some old lady with the blinker on. I see that AJ Cylcles had it from STS. Is installation quick and easy? Does it work flawlessly? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Steve. Looking forward to hearing how you like it on more rides. Was the installation difficult? About how much time did it take?

·
Super Moderator
829 Posts
I had self cancelling on my '76 Yam RD200DX... work of the devil... Same with the Hardly's I've ridden... Having ridden so long without, I am very happy not to have that particular technology... On a highway I'll indicate for an off ramp maybe quarter of a mile ahead or more (depending on speed :grin2:). In the UK there are lots of places with multiple turns in a short distance, so I may only indicate 20 yards or less, so as not to confuse others. No self canceller I've yet met could cope with that

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Thanks, Steve. Looking forward to hearing how you like it on more rides. Was the installation difficult? About how much time did it take?
We installed it for Steve and have done a few on Bobbers. The install is straight forward. We trim a small piece on the backside of the battery cover to mount the unit. The wires that need to be spliced are under the tank at the back left side. We use a 24” extension harness to make the install easier.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I like to ride down the road with my right signal blinking. It says, "Dumb ass, dumb ass, dumb ass." :wink2:

Just about all of my BMWs had self canceling signals. It was difficult switching to Triumph. Most of the time I remember to switch the turn signal off. Sometimes I don't. :|

·
Registered
174 Posts
I purchased one from A & J, installed it myself with the extension harness, and have been using it for about a year. I LOVE IT> Of course there is no reasonable explanation why Triumph does not include self-cancelling turn signals as standard SAFETY equipment, as my HDs have long done, but they don't. I hated to use my signals prior to that as I would always forget to cancel them.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guzzilazz;154181: In the UK there are lots of places with multiple turns in a short distance said:
My Indian Scout version seems to work fine for just about any turns. I sure get used to it. I use the Scout for longer trips so when I come to the Bobber it takes me awhile to adjust to the signal being a manual shut-off. I also think the cancel switch requires a bit more pressure than it should, needing to press down firmly or it sometimes doesn’t cancel. A softer touch would IMO make much more sense. After all, it’s just canceling the signal not turning it on. Like DOCGSS, I’m also mystified why Triumph doesn’t include this since the Bobber is way ahead of my Scout on key tech like traction control and ABS. For lane changing I wish it had what my Mini Cooper has (and probably other cars) which is a soft push and the signal goes on for about 3-seconds then turns off. It doesn’t run continuously unless you push the signal stalk to the second position which you’d do in a full 90 degree left/right turn, you’re in a turning lane or want to signal way ahead that you’re planning a turn. May be all small issues but, it’s one less distraction.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Never had a problem with my "self canceling indicators"... I just put my hand back on the handlebars ....
I learned how to drive in 1962. :surprise: Back in those days before you could get your license you had to demonstrate your knowledge of hand signals. :|

·
Super Moderator
829 Posts
I learned how to drive in 1962. :surprise: Back in those days before you could get your license you had to demonstrate your knowledge of hand signals. :|
Same in the UK 10 years later, even if the back had indicators fitted, you weren't allowed to use them. Hand signals only...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wish I was a real man

My Indian Scout version seems to work fine for just about any turns. I sure get used to it. I use the Scout for longer trips so when I come to the Bobber it takes me awhile to adjust to the signal being a manual shut-off. I also think the cancel switch requires a bit more pressure than it should, needing to press down firmly or it sometimes doesn’t cancel. A softer touch would IMO make much more sense. After all, it’s just canceling the signal not turning it on. Like DOCGSS, I’m also mystified why Triumph doesn’t include this since the Bobber is way ahead of my Scout on key tech like traction control and ABS. For lane changing I wish it had what my Mini Cooper has (and probably other cars) which is a soft push and the signal goes on for about 3-seconds then turns off. It doesn’t run continuously unless you push the signal stalk to the second position which you’d do in a full 90 degree left/right turn, you’re in a turning lane or want to signal way ahead that you’re planning a turn. May be all small issues but, it’s one less distraction.
The STS module A & J sells does cancel the signal after just a lane change, with even better built in logic than todays car lane change signal. The logic that is built in is impressive,, it knows lane changes vs full turns.

That being said I am so impressed by those that prefer hand signals. Not just the fact that their clutch hand is temporarily useless, not just the fact that most younger riders don't know what they mean, but that fondness for the more primitive days when men were men and electric starts had not even come to fruition. I am in my 60s and am happy I will not be thrown off my bike as I was in the 1960s when my FLH hit it's compression peak when I was kick starting, or when my leg just ached trying to start my Norton.

No I am happy to leave those days behind. I enjoy ABS and tractions control, as well as electric start, reliability, no oil leaks and yes, self cancelling turn signals. Fine for those who don't. But I am old enough to remember NO turn signals on my Triumph TR3a car, and don't want to go back to those days either. I thought roll up windows were far batter than my side curtains and imagine when we got electric windows and I no longer wanting to use roll ups, now electrics are ubiquitous. Yes I do not yearn to use hand signals out the window of my car anymore than I want to use them on my bikes. I guess I am just a wuss.

·
Super Moderator
829 Posts
The STS module A & J sells does cancel the signal after just a lane change, with even better built in logic than todays car lane change signal. The logic that is built in is impressive,, it knows lane changes vs full turns.

That being said I am so impressed by those that prefer hand signals. Not just the fact that their clutch hand is temporarily useless, not just the fact that most younger riders don't know what they mean, but that fondness for the more primitive days when men were men and electric starts had not even come to fruition. I am in my 60s and am happy I will not be thrown off my bike as I was in the 1960s when my FLH hit it's compression peak when I was kick starting, or when my leg just ached trying to start my Norton.

No I am happy to leave those days behind. I enjoy ABS and tractions control, as well as electric start, reliability, no oil leaks and yes, self cancelling turn signals. Fine for those who don't. But I am old enough to remember NO turn signals on my Triumph TR3a car, and don't want to go back to those days either. I thought roll up windows were far batter than my side curtains and imagine when we got electric windows and I no longer wanting to use roll ups, now electrics are ubiquitous. Yes I do not yearn to use hand signals out the window of my car anymore than I want to use them on my bikes. I guess I am just a wuss.

Here, here... You missed out the biggest changes that are (?) less visible. By which I mean tyres, brakes and chassis... Until you've ridden a nasty 60's or early 70's bike you don't know you've been born... My classic KH400 triple which I got in about 2006 to scratch a Jap 2 stroke itch, was just a bit scary on bumpy corners when the forks would flex and lock up. At least it was on proper tyres, not Avon Speedmasters, or even worse, Yokohama plastic boots

·
Registered
20 Posts
. It was difficult switching to Triumph. Most of the time I remember to switch the turn signal off. Sometimes I don't. :|[/QUOTE]

No I am happy to leave those days behind. I enjoy ABS and tractions control, as well as electric start, reliability, no oil leaks and yes, self cancelling turn signals. Fine for those who don't. But I am old enough to remember NO turn signals on my Triumph TR3a car, and don't want to go back to those days either. I thought roll up windows were far batter than my side curtains and imagine when we got electric windows and I no longer wanting to use roll ups, now electrics are ubiquitous. Yes I do not yearn to use hand signals out the window of my car anymore than I want to use them on my bikes. I guess I am just a wuss.[/QUOTE]

A bit off track from original post but...….

I just luv the evolution as a rider. I am reluctant to call it a 'learning curve' as we are all learning every day and some might feel belittled. Some could have forgotten more than others know. But there is definitely a reason some are still here, riding and enjoying everything the lifestyle has to offer after 40, 50 or even more years on two wheels. Bring on technology. Apart from those silly self inflating crash suits.:grin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts