Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Bike.

It is greater than the sum of it's parts. It has a soul. My Bike is my bike, it may look like your bike, but it isn't your bike. I feel it if that makes sense. The joy it gives me I cannot count in monetary terms.

Anyways, here in the UK, it is my honest belief that we have lost control of our streets. The Police have been under funded for years, many broken families without a father to discipline wayward sons, the Left bitching for years about we must educate rather than punish criminals etc.

British by birth, English by the grace of God but **** the Yanks may have it right in some matters, give me a gun and I would sleep happier.

Right to the point, I maybe getting a little paranoid with the amount of crime I see/read about, and have therefore currently got 2 disc locks, 1 brake lever lock, 1 security anchor chain and am thinking about getting more. I never leave bike on street. To get to my bike at night you would have to move the car, get through 2 gates and locks, not wake up the dogs and **** you wake me I am coming for you. Am I being paranoid or do the rest of you go to town with security and if so what you recommend.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wow! Unless you live in the highest crime neighborhood in the world, no one is taking your bike. And even if you do live there, no one is taking your bike. Of course, with a lift, some meat for the dogs, a master plan to get by the car and some mickeys slipped into your drink before dinner, maybe, just maybe. Paranoid? Hey, whatever makes you feel good about leaving it. I have it in the garage. When on a ride, I do lock the steering and on any overnight, use a disc lock. I never leave my helmet with the bike. Otherwise, i guess it’s the law of averages.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks. Just to be sure when replying can you state whether UK resident or not. I am trying to gauge whether I need to lighten up on what I am reading seeing in the UK or do I need (to quote Robert Downey Junior) go full retard.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I understand it's your baby, for sure, but...insurance?

I have many....many...many, firearms, but don't live where it crosses my mind that it would be swept out from under me. Plus I have a garage, and 2 noisy as F$#k small dogs. They even bark at me when I come in the house.....till it's "oh, its Dad...wassup (full tongue..)".

Bikes need to have a shock mechanism IMO. Sit on it without the key or move with out the key turned, and your ballz, hands and feet get fried. Sweep the would be thief out into the street and ride on....

·
Registered
136 Posts
LordLoveRocket71

i also live in the uk and to answer your question you are paranoid until your baby(bike) gets stolen, and then the paranoia proberby didn't help.

But i do think too much worrying can only take the shine off the joy of owning a bike.

security devices are only a deterrent to passing scrots, but if your bike is targeted by real criminals they your bike is gone.

i personally have a locked garage only.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Seat pan makes it a bit awkward to set up a shotgun shell under the seat with a juryrigged firing pin and a saftey pin hole (need a good memory)....

Pity it's illegal to hurt someone trying to steak your bike, criminals have rights (broken glass glued to the top of the wall - nope, broken glass on the window sill - nope, got to pray they don't trip over the coffee table or i'm in more trouble that they are!)

2 locked gates and a steering lock (half a dozen Mk 5's and a big bat)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I don't know what the stats are but on my side of the pond I haven't heard of anyone having a bike stolen. Here in the US the thieves prefer to steal cars. Does that make them more practical?

Chico

·
Registered
23 Posts
Exactly the same feelings here just outside London, never leave the bike outside, it now worries me even on a journey into or around London. Crime is escalating out of control, the police can’t handle the amount of bike crime and it is very low on their lists of priorities because of the numbers of officers left. This government needs to get its fingers out of their ass and investment needs reinstated to a level to reflect the rise in crime.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is tough talk but when they throw acid in your face there’s not much you can do about it !!
That or a very large knife wielded by some lunatic scooter thief, violent aggravated crime is on the increase.
It used to be if a thieves were disturbed they would probably scarper, but now you may well end up fighting for your life not just your property.
It is a sad world, with a lack of moral values,
Shame. :frown2:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reading all of the above, I definitely think the Brits especially not too far from London are feeling it. When I ride, if a young un comes close on a scooter I don't hang about. I was riding recently and a couple of kids on a scooter got a bit closer than I liked and I was off. I don't fear a fair tear up, but the kids nowadays won't come at you empty handed.

It's interesting that the Yanks don't seem to have any worries/issues and yet those from outside of the US are terrified about the amount of guns available in the US. I watched a documentary a while ago about a Brit going to the US and learning to shoot a gun and seeing the difference in approach to guns between the Brits and the Yanks. Anyways, he went to a state where they have an open gun policy I don't know what it's called but you can legally carry a gun whilst going about your daily business. At first that seems quite shocking, but according to the stats presented in the documentary and as one of the Yanks explained less crime happened at this particular state because the criminals knew that there was a good chance they would get shot in public if they stepped out of line. As things stand in the UK at present I would happily have this law in the UK.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Hi Gents,

Don't take the attached photograph too seriously, just a bit of fun and I know we all like photos.

However I do understand the paranoia and concern. I only ever had one bike stollen - an XT 250 as I recall outside of a girls house (in the UK) - I got lucky, well until I looked out of the window in the morning and there was a gaping emptiness where my bike should have been. A truly horrible feeling and one I never wish to repeat.

So, yes I take security seriously with lots of locks etc. And it may or may not make a difference but as a proud Englishman here in the US, I do love to enjoy the freedoms we have here and never leave the house without my (legally) carry gun. Which by the way is a little smaller than the one shown :wink2:

Stay safe, keep your baby secure and safe riding,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love my Bike.

It is greater than the sum of it's parts. It has a soul. My Bike is my bike, it may look like your bike, but it isn't your bike. I feel it if that makes sense. The joy it gives me I cannot count in monetary terms.

Anyways, here in the UK, it is my honest belief that we have lost control of our streets. The Police have been under funded for years, many broken families without a father to discipline wayward sons, the Left bitching for years about we must educate rather than punish criminals etc.
I Saw a few documentaries and videos on youtube on this. It really is a shame, they are fearless doing this in daylight and when the police try to catch them, they get away on a scooter (that was also stolen or a fake plate or both).

I do not have a solution for you, sorry. We have biker gangs here: Hells Angels, Mongols ect and people leave bikes alone partly because of the fear of that.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hi Gents,

Don't take the attached photograph too seriously, just a bit of fun and I know we all like photos.

However I do understand the paranoia and concern. I only ever had one bike stollen - an XT 250 as I recall outside of a girls house (in the UK) - I got lucky, well until I looked out of the window in the morning and there was a gaping emptiness where my bike should have been. A truly horrible feeling and one I never wish to repeat.

So, yes I take security seriously with lots of locks etc. And it may or may not make a difference but as a proud Englishman here in the US, I do love to enjoy the freedoms we have here and never leave the house without my (legally) carry gun. Which by the way is a little smaller than the one shown :wink2:

Stay safe, keep your baby secure and safe riding,

Roy
Hey Roy, can you discharge that weapon remotely while riding?:grin2:

Chico

·
Registered
208 Posts
Scooter scum usually go for the "twist and go" scoots..they dont usually have the brains to operate a clutch and gears

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Scooter scum usually go for the "twist and go" scoots..they dont usually have the brains to operate a clutch and gears
I’m sorry but that simply isn’t the case. Yes scooters are their chosen weapons of choices to steal and then get them around but that’s all they are used for. They earn their money by stealing to order and exotic bikes are top of the list.

If you take a ride through central London you will spot them all over the place, operating in broad daylight, typically two up on a scooter with balaclava’s under their lids and no number plate.

Regrettably the police have been forced into not giving chase to them out of fear of prosecution. Would you believe there have been many instances of these little scum bags carrying out a crime, being chased only to fall off and hurt themselves and then the current law allowing them to press charges against the offices who chased them... sickening!

Chains, disc locks etc will as mention only slow them down a little... if they really want your bike then they will take it. They carry battery powered angle grinders which make very short work of most chains and heavy duty, (two heavy to carry) chains lasting no more than 5 minutes against their attacks.

Your best bet is to make your bike as inconvenient to steal as possibly and to hope that they simply move onto the bike who’s owner didn’t take such precautions.

It’s a sorry state of affairs in London at the moment!

·
Registered
132 Posts
My Bobber is in a lock shed where the Ducati was parked. The BMW sits in the back yard. Not locked **** sometimes I forget the key and the GPS on the bike

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't know what the stats are but on my side of the pond I haven't heard of anyone having a bike stolen. Here in the US the thieves prefer to steal cars. Does that make them more practical?

Chico
A lot of bikes are stolen in the ol USA but, I think it depends on where u live and how many riders there are. That’s probably why California is high on the list. Lots of opportunity. London may be a whole other situation based on what I’ve heard. Best you can do is take some precautions which might make some move on because it’s too much trouble. But, let’s face it, if it’s professionals and they really want it then it’s a problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts