Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I needed to slide my seat back, but wanted to keep the height and change the angle to protect my crotch. It was uncomfortable, as I am 6'2" and thin. I realized that you can put a washer between the frame and seat post before tightening the single upper seat bolt. This pivots the front of the seat rail down, raising the saddle and tilting it slightly. I used an automotive drain plug fiber washer for a shim, but any nylon or steel washer will do. A small shim goes a long way. Tilting the saddle forward a bit saves my family jewels from being crushed!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Before (as delivered) and after. Slight change but noticeable.
Have you found that putting the seat in the rearmost position changes or alters the handling of the bike?
I am 6 1´and have the seat in its ´sportiest´or foremost position, as i find it the most comfortable and the reach to the bars the most natural.

I read somehere that sliding the seat to the rear changes the centre of gravity & can have a detrimental effect on the front tire (feel and grip). I have not tried it on the road myself as when picking up the bike, i tried the different settings and was instantly comfy in the ´seat forward´ setting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think any noticeable effects on handling would depend partly on your personal weight distribution. I'm under 170lbs geared up, ready to ride. I carry very little weight in my backside. The seat has about 2" of adjustment and while you can really feel the difference between all the way forward or back, I didn't notice any difference in steering or cornering. As I stretch out and reach a little farther to the bars I tend to arch my back and roll my hips forward and that would change weight distribution as well. With the low seating position and with the seat forward I felt cramped. Of course I have a 35" inseam so I'm all legs.

A couple of notes:

The rear shock spring is pretty stiff for my weight. I did notice that it is less harsh with the seat back, so the adjustment helped with that. That improved "handling" for me since I'm not being pitched around so much.

Shimming the seat to change the angle helped with my "leaned in" position since I'm not sitting so upright. My crotch is not as pressured.

What works for me may not work for you, even if we are about the same height.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I think any noticeable effects on handling would depend partly on your personal weight distribution. I'm under 170lbs geared up, ready to ride. I carry very little weight in my backside. The seat has about 2" of adjustment and while you can really feel the difference between all the way forward or back, I didn't notice any difference in steering or cornering. As I stretch out and reach a little farther to the bars I tend to arch my back and roll my hips forward and that would change weight distribution as well. With the low seating position and with the seat forward I felt cramped. Of course I have a 35" inseam so I'm all legs.

A couple of notes:

The rear shock spring is pretty stiff for my weight. I did notice that it is less harsh with the seat back, so the adjustment helped with that. That improved "handling" for me since I'm not being pitched around so much.

Shimming the seat to change the angle helped with my "leaned in" position since I'm not sitting so upright. My crotch is not as pressured.

What works for me may not work for you, even if we are about the same height.
I'm just under 200lbs not geared up, so i can see why the shock might feel too stiff. For me, it feels exactly right (fox shock).
I have a 34" inseam and though in the beginning i felt like the bike was small (as in its overall dimensions and width), i found it comfy and not cramped.
Initially i was worrried about it being so low, but those worries were unfounded. Such a fantastic bike to look at and be on!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm just under 200lbs not geared up, so i can see why the shock might feel too stiff. For me, it feels exactly right (fox shock).
I have a 34" inseam and though in the beginning i felt like the bike was small (as in its overall dimensions and width), i found it comfy and not cramped.
Initially i was worrried about it being so low, but those worries were unfounded. Such a fantastic bike to look at and be on!!
I totally agree. The bike is comfortable to ride longer distances, handles great and looks amazing. I'm very happy with the Bobber. I have a 2016 Yamaha FZ-09 as well that I have a windscreen and removable saddle bags on for long trips or racing Corvettes and Ferraris.

After I ride some more I might end up bringing the saddle forward again and trying that. It's great to have that option.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The low seat height was a big plus for me. I have noticed there is more then an inch of extra thread on the seat posts. Maybe you guys have discovered the reason, a huge range of custom adjustment!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like the idea of how you did your adjustments, I too would like to raise my seat up and i was thinking about doing what you did thanks for the advice I will do that soon!

·
Registered
170 Posts
As has been said here (I think) you could add a large-ish through washer on the end of the bracket and still be able to tighten vertical the Torx head (T50 wrench) screw down and effectively raise the seat up. Though only slightly.

Also, by my measurements the seat can slide 1 1/4 inches back and forth.

We are working to build an entire replacement seat bracket.
The early idea being to replace the rigid bracket tongue end with a flat spring steel bar. that can be adjusted for bounce.
While of course using the same seat bolting pattern as the current set up.
We envision perhaps multiple spring steel leaves not unlike a common leaf spring suspension used everywhere.

Any requirements we should consider. We want to be able to accommodate a wide range of rider weights and heights.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
When I installed the Apes back in March I found my less hounched over riding position made the seat feel "down hill" for my Jewels. 2 standard washers fixed that perfectly! 0:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hey Big Bobber,

I too am tall 6’4” and lean 170lbs so the extra space provided by moving the seat back is much appreciated, in fact it was a revelation! I guess you loose an inch in seat height but on the bike it’s barely noticeable and I don’t find it affects the handling at all. Note I have fitted the quilted seat, which has a flatter profile than the stock so fortunately I don’t get that crown jewels issue that you’re surfing from. If you shims don’t work out I recommend you give it a go.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When I installed the Apes back in March I found my less hounched over riding position made the seat feel "down hill" for my Jewels. 2 standard washers fixed that perfectly! 0:)
I also have the high handle bars and i had the feeling of sliding off the back of the seat when i romped on it! I added the washer and love the new position i think i will slide it back to the max position and see if i can improve on the ride a little bit more!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Zanetti, was wondering if you guys ever get a custom seat bracket built, would love to know how that came out. ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seat all the way to the front

Hey guys,
has anyone tried to bring the seat all the way to the front? I mean even beyond what it's allowed to do? if yes, how / what's the best way to do it?

thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys,
has anyone tried to bring the seat all the way to the front? I mean even beyond what it's allowed to do? if yes, how / what's the best way to do it?

thanks for your responses.
Remove the seat and bracket then separate the tongue from the seat pan
Seven small fasteners will remove the seat pan from the padding .
Drill a 10mm hole in the seat pan so the twin bolt assembly moves back. You can position it just before the seat pan starts to curve upwards. Measure several times to be sure.
Use a dremel tool to elongate the slot in the tongue.
Combined this will move the seat about 1 1/4" closer to the tank.
Now the seat will be too close to use the bolt that mounts the tongue to the frame. There will be no room to get a tool on it from the top. So get a replacement bolt and feed it up through the bottom of the tongue. Once in position you will be able to put a nut on the bolt as it is now easy to get a wrench the nut to tighten it together. If you look closely at my bike, instead of a nice torx head bolt I have a regular nut on top.
I am not sure but I think I used a 10mm fine bolt that was 30mm long. Not 100% sure on the length so buy a couple. It was easy and took about 45 minutes only because I was supper careful about measuring before my drilling.
Be careful when torquing down the nut as you don't want to swing the wrench into the tank and make a mark.

I am 5'5" and this was the best mod I could do as I am no longer sitting on the nose of the seat. My butt now sits further back as it is designed to do and is much more comfortable. The other option would be to put new bars on the bike that would allow me to achieve the same seating position

1 - 17 of 17 Posts