Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys new member first time poster, i currently own a street triple 675(love it but just a tad to sporty and plastic looking for me) and thinking of buying a bobber one of my biggest concerns is probably ground clearance and scrapping pegs,how often do you guys scrape pegs? and does anyone find it a real issue? and does anyone have the triumph "rider footrests"Part Number: A9770184,it looks like you could gain a degree or two lean angle? the stock ones come down and out the "rider footrests" come straight out and are shorter. thanks beno adelaide south australia :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Compared to the Harley 48 that I used to own the ground clearance on the Bobber’s brilliant, I very rarely touch anything down unless I’m trying. But a lot depends on how you ride, what you’re used to, and how much you weigh. The stock suspension is unadjustable so if you’re on the heavy side you might find ground clearance an issue, but get a test ride then you’ll know for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bobber-bomb i am coming from a street triple but i have ridden a harley davidson roadster and i did like and loved the look and was enough lean angle for me, except for the peg position witch was a deal breaker for me! and i only weigh 85 kg so im not heavy,how i ride that's an interesting question,when with friends here in adelaide south australia were up in the hills,tight and twisty,when not with friends just cruising,i have street triple 675,mate has mt-09,other mate cbr-600rr,other mate gsxr-750, and a learner mate on xvs650. simple answer would be keep the street triple,but the bobber is so badass i just have to own it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can easily scrape the pegs on any highway turn on/off if I ride fast enough on the Bobber. Can it go faster than a Harley and not hit. Probably. But I know I can ride a lot faster before I hit the pegs on a sport bike than on the Boober....so this doesn't tell you anything.

One thing for sure, though.... If you're scraping pegs on this bike you are probably way, way over the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
hey guys new member first time poster, i currently own a street triple 675(love it but just a tad to sporty and plastic looking for me) and thinking of buying a bobber one of my biggest concerns is probably ground clearance and scrapping pegs,how often do you guys scrape pegs? and does anyone find it a real issue? and does anyone have the triumph "rider footrests"Part Number: A9770184,it looks like you could gain a degree or two lean angle? the stock ones come down and out the "rider footrests" come straight out and are shorter. thanks beno adelaide south australia :)
Those footrests scrape just as easily as the OEM pair ( i have them).
But as others have stated here, ALOT comes down to riding style and the line you take when cornering.
Coming from a 675 ( i had a Speed Triple R), it won´t come as a surprise that the Bobber will reach its clearance limits faster than your Triple. But really, that is missing the point of the Bobber. It is such a great bike at legal speeds and can hold its head up when scratching above those limits too...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Been looking for titanium draggers at a decent price because of just how easy it is to scrape the hero blobs (coming from 5 triples in a row to the bobber). It's got the grunt to keep up with anyone i know on twisties that i know off by heart (if i don't know them i have to back off, overruning onto wrong side of road is too much for my bloodpressure meds these days!).

Take it in a little earlier and run a bit wider and yo can still carry enough speed to be real fun or just hold your leg up and out to let it pop up with almost no resistance instead on the commute.

Reactions: Skintrade01

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks eisen77 and other guys for the reply's, i guess you just have to change your riding style a little,to be honest ive slowed down a lot recently and dont really ride that fast around bends anyway i like to torque out of corners and a blast down straights every now and then. but i want this bike so bad im willing to change my riding style a little.its just a bike i want to own!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I bought mine for 3 reasons

1- my Back
2 - slow me doen a bit
3 - I liked it!

The outcome so far is

1 - check it worked (ecxept when picking it up off the floor on my own)
2 - nope, takes the same amount of time on the commute (then again takes the same time on a 1976 C90 so go figure)
3 - like it more!

Just a little more careful in corners and brakeing distances, otherwise, it's still 1,200CC of raw throbbing grunt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I never had a problem with ground clearance, its not a sport bike but handles very well through the twisties. I scraped my pegs quite a bit on my Goldwing, a slight shift of weight and seat position clears that right up. After all it's an old school Bobber, can't remember us having that conversation in the 60's.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Personally the bank angle indicators will touch the floor first, these then make you poop yourself, as the hinged footrest lifts. It takes some getting used to. I have come from a street triple R. Where this wouldn't happen. I am lower now and am trying to change my riding style. But have done many a happy corner at 50 MPH with no issues.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I used to race for 4 years and still own sport bikes. I have no problem on the Bobber and the pegs give you plenty of warning before any real problems occur. Not an issue for any Bobber owner I know!

Also... notice with the popularity of the Bobber there is a quickly growing pool of aftermarket suppliers with dozens of accessories and no kit to address this issue because there is no demand!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lean angle sensors

I intend to throw some sparks when I occasionally lean it over enough to touch the sensors.
I ordered the titanium draggers from GMan Industries ac-drag3 is the part number.
They were $39.50 plus shipping.
I'll review when they've arrived and I can test them.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I intend to throw some sparks when I occasionally lean it over enough to touch the sensors.
I ordered the titanium draggers from GMan Industries ac-drag3 is the part number.
They were $39.50 plus shipping.
I'll review when they've arrived and I can test them.
Thanks for that!
I just ordered a pair :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I must be pretty lame or tame as I have not scraped the hero blobs at all....
Some of the fastest riders i know never, ever touch a peg or knee while on public roads. They are so smooth, fast, safe and on the correct line its almost eery. I love learning from them.
Sparks and touching pegs can be amusing & fun, though >:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bank angle indicators; lean angle sensors, hero blobs :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Such wonderful names for those little dome-nuts on the footrests:grin2:

Here in Germany they call them "Angst-nippeln" which in English means; "Fear Nipples":laugh::laugh::laugh:

cheers!
mike

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Received and installed !
These are some BIG a** "Fear Nipples" (thanks for the translation, @Mike the Bike...;))
Once they are half way worn down, i´ll swap sides. Will be interesting to see how well they wear and spark! If they are anything like the GoldWing sliders, then they will make a real light show at night >:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts