Triump Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be out in San Diego CA in November, and am hoping to spend a day on a rented motorcycle. Would be glad for any recommendations from those of you who live out that way, or have otherwise ridden in the area. Looking at the map, looks like I could get in both some ocean views and a desert jaunt. But any local knowledge would be appreciated.

The Pacific Coast Hwy is legendary I know, but I also wonder how likely it is to be ruined by traffic... And the Salton Sea looks potentially interesting...

Also, of course, recommendations for good food stops or other destinations to shoot for are always welcome!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ride out to Borrego Springs and look at the cool sculptures there. It is a short hop to the Salton Sea, cool to look at but it stinks like **** and is for the most part dead. The back road to Mt Palomar is awesome and you can visit the observatory. Ride back the same route because the front road is choked with traffic. Eat pie in Julian, it is awesome! Ride the Mt Laguna loop. Ride the coast from Pebble Beach to Solana Beach. All can be done in one or two days. Have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ride out to Borrego Springs and look at the cool sculptures there. It is a short hop to the Salton Sea, cool to look at but it stinks like **** and is for the most part dead. The back road to Mt Palomar is awesome and you can visit the observatory. Ride back the same route because the front road is choked with traffic. Eat pie in Julian, it is awesome! Ride the Mt Laguna loop. Ride the coast from Pebble Beach to Solana Beach. All can be done in one or two days. Have fun.
Thanks! Just what I need. (Where’s the pie in Julian..?)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coming back to this thread with another question. Heading out to San Diego in two weeks, and will have one day to ride. Got some good ideas from @DesertRunner, which are helpful indeed. But it also occurs to me that another option would be to head down to Baja. I've never been there. Just wondering if anyone here has, and if it is worth the trip, or if anyone has recommendations. I could go about three hours down, and three hours back reasonably.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Coming back to this thread with another question. Heading out to San Diego in two weeks, and will have one day to ride. Got some good ideas from @DesertRunner, which are helpful indeed. But it also occurs to me that another option would be to head down to Baja. I've never been there. Just wondering if anyone here has, and if it is worth the trip, or if anyone has recommendations. I could go about three hours down, and three hours back reasonably.
You might just wait 3 hours in line trying to cross the border. Plus, just not the safest place to be.

Inland San Diego is supposed to have awesome riding. I have not done the routes ( I’m in oc, north of San D), but google Julian and Palomar Mountain motorcycle rides.

Hope this helps. Ride safe.

Edit, found this. Www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-rides/sandiego

·
Registered
146 Posts
You might just wait 3 hours in line trying to cross the border. Plus, just not the safest place to be.

Inland San Diego is supposed to have awesome riding. I have not done the routes ( I’m in oc, north of San D), but google Julian and Palomar Mountain motorcycle rides.

Hope this helps. Ride safe.

Edit, found this. Www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-rides/sandiego
After the massacre of that Mormon family I would steer clear of Mexico and the border crossing will take a while plus you have to purchase Mexican insurance. You will not be disappointed with the route I told you about.

·
Registered
112 Posts
After the massacre of that Mormon family I would steer clear of Mexico and the border crossing will take a while plus you have to purchase Mexican insurance. You will not be disappointed with the route I told you about.
Yeah, I’m gonna firm up my statement... DO NOT GO THERE.

Mr DesertRuner, I would be interested in those routes. PM? My brother has a condo in the gas lamp that I can use as a starting point or start from OC.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, I’m gonna firm up my statement... DO NOT GO THERE.

Mr DesertRuner, I would be interested in those routes. PM? My brother has a condo in the gas lamp that I can use as a starting point or start from OC.
Feel free to PM. The suggestions in my response above are good but I can provide more detail if needed.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unbelievable roads! So fun... I’ll post more info later but here’s a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you had fun!

Very grateful for your recommendations. I rode with a friend, and we headed out of the city on 94, which was a great strt to the trip! Went to Campo, and headed north from there up to old HWY 80, then around the Laguna Mt loop (Sunrise hwy I believe) and eventually to Julian, where the pie was indeed delicious... All the roads to this point were just super fun to ride. Lots of twisties, up and down mountains, and the lanscape would shift, sometimes dramatically, every 30 miles or so.

Went out to Borrega springs, and saw some cool sculptures, bu tI think we might have missed some. Anyway, from there we hit the Montezuma Valley HWY (I think it was called), which was really something else! My friend i more of a racer-style rider than me, and I had to let him disappear ahead of me. The first time in a long time that I actually got a bit spooked by a road, and had to force myself to slow down. But it felt like an achievement getting to the end of it! And of course, two dudes on sport bikes and leather suites with spinal protection flew by me going about 100 in a way that I would not have thought possible.

Headed back toward SD on 78 I think..? Things calmed down after that, and just sort of cruised in for the last two hours or so of the day. All told, 8 hours in the saddle, and I would've loved to do 89 more the next day if it was possible.

Oh, and I had a slightly older Bonneville 900. Didn't think I'd really miss the power from the Bobber -- as until I got it I had owned 500s and 750s -- but I did miss it...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Glad you had fun!

Very grateful for your recommendations. I rode with a friend, and we headed out of the city on 94, which was a great strt to the trip! Went to Campo, and headed north from there up to old HWY 80, then around the Laguna Mt loop (Sunrise hwy I believe) and eventually to Julian, where the pie was indeed delicious... All the roads to this point were just super fun to ride. Lots of twisties, up and down mountains, and the lanscape would shift, sometimes dramatically, every 30 miles or so.

Went out to Borrega springs, and saw some cool sculptures, bu tI think we might have missed some. Anyway, from there we hit the Montezuma Valley HWY (I think it was called), which was really something else! My friend i more of a racer-style rider than me, and I had to let him disappear ahead of me. The first time in a long time that I actually got a bit spooked by a road, and had to force myself to slow down. But it felt like an achievement getting to the end of it! And of course, two dudes on sport bikes and leather suites with spinal protection flew by me going about 100 in a way that I would not have thought possible.

Headed back toward SD on 78 I think..? Things calmed down after that, and just sort of cruised in for the last two hours or so of the day. All told, 8 hours in the saddle, and I would've loved to do 89 more the next day if it was possible.

Oh, and I had a slightly older Bonneville 900. Didn't think I'd really miss the power from the Bobber -- as until I got it I had owned 500s and 750s -- but I did miss it...
I loved those roads when I lived there. Sunrise Highway had some really cool trails to run on, again, glad you had fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts