Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most Bobber owners are probably aware, you pull up somewhere your going to get approached, so get used to talking Bikes with complete strangers, always get asked how old it is. I love this, never bought the bike for this reason, but it is really an enjoyable side effect to being a Bobber owner. Everyone who comes up is extremely positive. As an example, last weekend 3 bikers turned up to a Pub I was at with a fellow biker and as soon as one got off bike he went straight up to mine and said he loved it and started taking snaps, he was riding a Ducati Panigale (not an ugly bike either).

Anyways, as we are talking he says "I have never seen one of these in the flesh" and this got me thinking, neither have I (other than what was at my local dealers). I like this fact also (if it was down to me I would stop the Bobber production line now to remain unique). So I thought I would look up the figures, by all accounts Triumph are shifting Bobbers, but I was shocked at how low level bikes sales are. Call me naive but I thought manufactures would be selling tens of thousands, but by all accounts, according to Bennets the BMW R1200GS with approx 4,200 units, (you will have to read the article to get to bottom of figures) (also the BMW is a really ugly bike by the way).

So my question as a non Triumph owner prior to the Bobber was this the same with other Triumph models and can I expect in many years to come to see loads of newer Bobbers floating about. Once a new model does come out do sales slow down after time or does it remain constant?

Article link below.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2018/april/motorcycle-sales-figures-2017-investigated

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
In my Guzzi days, I was an owner when Guzzi sold 10,000 bikes worldwide for the first (and only?) time... It was about 2007/8, the peak of the CARC models. I thought I remember Triunph selling about 70-80,000 bikes a year...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The Bobber is of course Triumph fastest selling bike in the company’s history but as you’ve highlighted they are a relatively rare sight out in the wild. To date I’ve seen four others!

I too looked at sales figures a while back and was somewhat surprised to find the numbers to be far more humble than I had, “ naïvely “ assumed.

As I understand it BMW’s GS is the company’s biggest selling unit historically. At present I’m very much on the market for a second bike and the new 1250cc GS said to be released in October is of keen interest!

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haven't seen one here in Oz. I have had heaps of comments and thumbs up as I ride past from young and old alike.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Haven't seen one here in Oz. I have had heaps of comments and thumbs up as I ride past from young and old alike.
Same here in North Carolina. I've seen a few Bobbers at dealerships but I haven't seen any on the roads. I've gotten a lot of waves from cruiser guys and I've had a few chats around the gas pumps. In the mean time I have seen three BMW R1200 GSs.

In the past I owned two GSs. They are ugly bikes but my grannie always said, "Pretty is as pretty does." And you can't beat a GS for touring on pavement and/or dirt roads.

·
Registered
230 Posts
hmm in the flesh or rather out in the wild (that's outside a dealer's shop) I have only seen three bobbers: one bobber black on Feldberg/Taunus nearby Germany, Angela on her bobber at the 2018 Tiger mega meet (I trailed all the time on my Tiger, funny to see how the number shield moves all the time) and on my way to work I pass a parked bobber now an then. So although they are good selling still a rare sight

·
Registered
604 Posts
Got to admit since the UK meet earlier this year I'v still not seen another in the wild

Reactions: Mike J Commo

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've only seen one in the wild here in the USA, when I bought mine in 17 the dealer told me they only shipped 700 to the USA....wonder if thats true?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I know it was hard to find here in ny. I’ve only ever seen one out in the wild other than at a Triumph meet and even then there was only one or two others.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
76 Posts
Triumph sells tiny amounts of motorcycles when compared to the likes of Harley’s and the Japanese so when they report the Bobber is selling fast they mean relative to their other offerings, not fast compared to HD’s or BMW’s.

I’ve now seen 6 bobbers in the wild but then again i’m on the Isle of Man :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
According to 'Visor Down' the Bobber with 720 units sold was the UK's 4th best selling bike last year, and it out sold every other Bonneville variant by a country mile, so it's been an amazing success for Triumph :nerd:

But I would agree with what's been said out in the wild they're still as rare as rocking horse poop. I live near Matlock Bath (a well known biking hot spot), and while I've seen literally thousands of bikes over summer I've only seen two Bobbers and a single Speedmaster that's it! Maybe Bobber owners don't travel, I don't know, but in some ways I'm quite pleased as the last thing I'd want is to park up at Matlock only to be met by by a whole row of bikes that look exactly like mine. >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm on Gold Coast and have only seen one other std Bobber. Haven't seen another BB yet. There are of course other Triumphs on the road. Where are you Rodders ?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thinking about this there were 720 bobbers sold in the UK last year, with roughly a 100 counties in the UK, that's 7.2 per county. Of course there'll be more were the population is larger like London and less in the remoter parts but at an average of 7 bikes or say 12 with this year's sales added it's not surprising we don't see them.:nerd:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts