Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Triumph oiled cotton black saddlebag on about a year ago. It has noticeable fading from the sun. Anyone know of a way to touch it up or restore the color? Have thought of fabric dye but don't think it will stand up to the elements all that well.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do a Google search for "Black Canvas Top Conditioner" and many types of products will pop up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shoe polish? Appears waxed cotton will not absorb dye because it's waterproof.

·
Read Only
153 Posts
wouldn't the fading just make your bike look cooler?

I must admit that was my thought. There is a danger that you might spoil the overall look with a dye or some sort of artificial colouring.

I don't want to hijack the thread but just a quick question. I have the same bike hoist as you but the table is not long enough to take the Bobber. The rear wheel would be on the ramp and the ramp is not supported. How have you supported your bike?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must admit that was my thought. There is a danger that you might spoil the overall look with a dye or some sort of artificial colouring.

I don't want to hijack the thread but just a quick question. I have the same bike hoist as you but the table is not long enough to take the Bobber. The rear wheel would be on the ramp and the ramp is not supported. How have you supported your bike?
I bought my lift at Harbor Freight, it is easily long enough for the Bobber and for my HD Street Glide. Not sure which lift you have, sorry (.

·
Read Only
153 Posts
I bought my lift at Harbor Freight, it is easily long enough for the Bobber and for my HD Street Glide. Not sure which lift you have, sorry (.

Many thanks for your reply. I had a look at the Harbor Freight one and the deck is a good bit longer than mine. It makes me realise just how much more limiting mine is. Not a lot I can do about it now unless I want to start welding bits onto it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
mine did the same. I went and bought a large boil pan, put it on the outdoor burner to boil the wax out. Easy does it or it will destroy the leather. Clean and repeat until you think you've got mist of the wax and then leather die the whole thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
wouldn't the fading just make your bike look cooler?
I was really afraid I was going to be the only one that thought this, but my one farthing's worth opinion is exactly the same. As long as the function hadn't been affected, and with a coating of wax it was still waterproof, the weathered look would look awesome, and fit right in with a retro-looking bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the help and advice. Normally the weathered look would be A-OK with me, but I'm going for a Black N Blue look, not a faded brown look. I am absolutely not saying it doesn't look good, just not what I wanted (or thought I had paid for)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you all for the help and advice. Normally the weathered look would be A-OK with me, but I'm going for a Black N Blue look, not a faded brown look. I am absolutely not saying it doesn't look good, just not what I wanted (or thought I had paid for)
It will eventually turn white. I hated it
Here's mine after a boil and redye

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts