Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay chaps,

Well I'm not talking about the Secret Intelligence Service but my 'Snow Insanity Suppression' (aka my mini winter build).

So it has now been around six weeks since my last ride and to 'suppress the insanity' which is now slowly creeping in I have decided to pull some parts and ideas together for a mini winter build. I will share my progress on this thread on the off chance it may be of interest to members and if nothing else it will keep me busy over the next couple of months while I wait for the snow to clear.

My projects:

Powder coat (black) my footboards and controls (along with a few other little pieces).
Progress; just dropped these parts off today, ETA six weeks or so.

Fit new black retro exhausts from Bike Bros.
Progress; on order and awaiting delivery.

Fit new custom handlebars.
Progress; these are with a friend in Texas and are almost complete, so hoping to have them soon.

Fit new heated grips.
Progress; taken delivery and will fit these when installing the new handlebars.

Fit new dresser bars.
Progress; taken delivery but struggling to get a nut undone and awaiting on a new tool to assist with this. (Not sure about the dresser bars, so will check them out once fitted. IF I like them I 'may' install a pair of running lights on them but still thinking on this).

Secret project with my side-panels and will share if it works out..:wink2:

Possibly convert my seat to a sprung one but may not get around to this.

Well that's my plan for the next few months. Will update with progress and photos as the project unfolds.

Cheerio,

Roy

P.s. a pic added (I know you've seen it before) showing 'Charlotte' snowed in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roy, are you sticking with the high bar look, or going with something different?
Hi Ysoslo,

Yes. As much as I like the look of lower bars my comfort zone has always been higher bars. My 'custom' bars are actually a set of the standard Triumph apes that my friends has 'tweaked' for me. Just a few inches here and there but I suspect it will make a huge difference.

I will share all the changes on these bars once I have them returned and can include photos.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
132 Posts
6 weeks since you rode and you are going insane? Wow I parked my bobber for winter on the 20th of September. Snow and ice since Halloween. I hope the ground hog says only 6 more weeks of winter

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like a busy winter for you and Charlotte Roy! I'm so jealous, I think my wife would cut my 'nuts' off if I spend all my time and money on my BB- although she knows who my number one is really after my kids ?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tomsy,

I must give my wife a lot of credit. Up until a year ago and just prior to me buying my Bobber we had had a truly traumatic few years. My wife has made it clear that since getting my bike it has helped me 'come back'. As such she does not begrudge me tinkering in the garage etc.

She's a good lass..:smile2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a great deal of progress this week.

It still seems like I'm very much in the prep stage of various projects. However I did manage to drop of my side panels to my painter today and I'm hopeful I may get the dresser bars fitted next week.

So hopefully more promising updates over the coming weeks.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slow progress,

But I did manage to drop off my side-panels this weekend to have them painted.

Also lined up a bike shop to wire up the running lights should I fit them.

And lastly I'm considering adding some Avon Cobra 'white walls' to this winter build - assuming I can find a pair.

Hoping for a little more progress (and pics) this week.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dresser Bars Fitted

Well I'm pleased to say I've completed the first project.

The full size dresser bars are fitted.

I first started looking into these due to the two unsightly (and unused) 'lugs' that were part of the large bracket used to mount the footboards (also used for forward controls)(shown in one of the photos). Not knowing what these lugs were for I started some research which led me to the dresser bars designed to mount onto these lugs.

I must confess these look a **** of a lot better than I had imagined. They appear to have been designed very sympathetically to the lines of the bike and don't stick out like 'wings' which is what one normally encountered back in the day.

I've added a few photos for interest, sorry about the poor light, too chilly to open up the garage today and the bike of course is still somewhat stripped so you don't get the full affect.

I was unsure about fitting these but my first reaction when they were on is very positive. They add a little 'heft' to the front without obnoxiously sticking out or looking out of place and from the riding position are almost unseen. A pleasant surprise overall and a good start to my mini winter build.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for that.

I found them initially on the 'configure' option on the Triumph website but then found these actual bars at a good price on ebay. So a genuine Triumph product just paid a little less. See pic below.

They come in chrome too and of course fit the Speedmaster also. One just needs the mounting for the forward controls or footboards to make them work.

My plan is to look into mounting running lights on them (just ordered) but will give some more thought to this idea once I have the lights.

No one is more surprised than me at how much I like them, so pleased I took the chance.

More pics added for interest.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well I'm pleased to say I've completed the first project.

The full size dresser bars are fitted.

I first started looking into these due to the two unsightly (and unused) 'lugs' that were part of the large bracket used to mount the footboards (also used for forward controls)(shown in one of the photos). Not knowing what these lugs were for I started some research which led me to the dresser bars designed to mount onto these lugs.

I must confess these look a **** of a lot better than I had imagined. They appear to have been designed very sympathetically to the lines of the bike and don't stick out like 'wings' which is what one normally encountered back in the day.

I've added a few photos for interest, sorry about the poor light, too chilly to open up the garage today and the bike of course is still somewhat stripped so you don't get the full affect.

I was unsure about fitting these but my first reaction when they were on is very positive. They add a little 'heft' to the front without obnoxiously sticking out or looking out of place and from the riding position are almost unseen. A pleasant surprise overall and a good start to my mini winter build.

Cheerio,

Roy
Ohhhh, Is that what those are for! Man, I looked at those when I put my forwards on and thought I was doing something wrong :smile2: It make so much sense now :grin2:

That looks pretty sharp!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks GBN,

I've spent the day looking at the bike with these bars on and I must confess I'm really digging them.

On further projects; I think my exhausts may be at the post office ready to pick up but with 31" of snow the last 24 hours and still coming down and not a snow plow in sight, I don't think I'm getting out for a while..:surprise: bloody good job I have a near full bottle of my favorite Scotch..:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Retro Exhaust Delivered

Just a short update.

I have picked up my Bike Bros 'Retro' exhausts. A couple of photos of the unpacking. They look well made and are nicely finished.

I like how they look. A few inches short of stock from what I can see, so should look pretty smart while giving the bike a more retro feel.

Will report more on my fitting experience but wanted to share these initial photos/thoughts.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bike Bros 'Retro' Exhaust Fitted

So I couldn't resist, so spent that last couple of hours tinkering and fitting the exhausts.

Again forgive the poor pics as the bike is somewhat stripped and light is poor. Never the less I'm really digging these new pipes.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Enoch,

Yes, well sort of. I don't have large enough scales but did note the OEM silencers seemed heavier. Also the box that the two new ones came in had a declared weight of 6.5 kilos with not much packing, so hope that helps.

So 6.5 divided by 2 minus a little for packing.

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 77 Posts