Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, after being so sure I would find a petrol station just a few kilometres along my route, I rode way past the --- (zero rest kilometres) sign in the display; albeit softly softly; for an extra 9 kilometres!!

Of course, your mileage may vary; as they say; but I thought I would mention it here, in case you unintentionally go that far, like I did, there should be a bit left to get you an extra mile or two.

I made it to a petrol station, and put in 9.1 litres to full :wink2:
I guess I was lucky.

cheers!
mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just wait to Triumph sicks an electric powertrain in one of these and sells it to us, then we will wish we had gasoline to depend on :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Regardless of how careful I was I have been close tot he same sometimes, its the 15, 14, 13.....2 that sometimes gets me (Steady riding over to commuting and bang consumption goes thru the roof), a bag with even just a 1L fuel Bottle may be a lifesaver out in the sticks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Regardless of how careful I was I have been close tot he same sometimes, its the 15, 14, 13.....2 that sometimes gets me (Steady riding over to commuting and bang consumption goes thru the roof), a bag with even just a 1L fuel Bottle may be a lifesaver out in the sticks.
I do the small fuel bottle too. Unfortunately once we went to EFI we lost the reserve gravity bung.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I do the small fuel bottle too. Unfortunately once we went to EFI we lost the reserve gravity bung.
Sure we did! But at least these days we have a little light in the dash reminding us we're getting low...

Happened to me a couple o' times in the old days, that I would go on reserve on the way home late at night from the pub; get home on reserve, then ride to work the next day, not thinking about the fact that I'm still on reserve; head in the clouds etc.; bike would stutter, I would go to grab the tap and NOOOOOOOOOO....:surprise::surprise::surprise:

My boss nearly fired me on a couple of occasions, but I got away with it.:grin2:

Cheers!
mike

BTW, I'm talking about petrol..... not whiskey ;-)

·
Registered
114 Posts
A tank without petrol,.... **** happens, had that several times before, with a much larger tank. Now I will get my bobber in March, means enough time to buy myself a small bag in which I can put a 1L petrol bottle....

cu
Léon

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's amazing just how close you can get, 15m on zero today, last 5 were buttclenching I have to admit, on coasting into the petrol station i managed to put in 9L closest call to date. I need to pay more attention to 50 miles on the 25 followed by some ahem right had fun after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
2 L for the road is better..
These bottles look great! But guess I’ll stay with the little triumph bag on the swing ==> ok 1l is too small 2 l is better, I’ll find a way somewhere to solve the problem I’m bound to encounter :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's amazing just how close you can get, 15m on zero today, last 5 were buttclenching I have to admit, on coasting into the petrol station i managed to put in 9L closest call to date. I need to pay more attention to 50 miles on the 25 followed by some ahem right had fun after.
Dear Ethariel, the shitty thing is we all know these moments, especially the last km, :smile2: and in fact if you have a 9l, 15l or 25l doesn’t make a real difference, you will have this (hopefully) moment. ( though with a 9l tank your chance to get in this situation is a “bit” bigger)
Cu

·
Registered
113 Posts
That was a close call Mike!
I was up on the range yesterday; 70 kms from the nearest fuel when the light came on and she told me I had 49kms to go. I swore and contemplated which phone-a-friend lifeline I'd use. I took it easy coming back down the range and made it 73kms to the fuel station with her telling me I still had 6kms left till empty when I got there. She only took 8.5litres to fill. Admittedly it was all 100km/hr zone with no traffic.
But in some ways, this set a dangerous precedent. As much as I'll tell myself not to, I'm going to be more blasé about the distance to empty now. :rolleyes:

And your stories have all just reinforced that likelihood for bad behavior :p Surely someone's had to push, or phone a friend/AAA.... feed me some disincentive :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
:nerd:

with my HD 48, I always had a one-liter can in the bag :wink2:
1 liter is not enough. but that can save on 20 kilometers 0:)
and push an anvil for 20 km :crying:; it is far from nothing >:)

I do not have a side bag yet but it will be the first thing I will put in it.
but the Bobber is not the 48. I manage to hold up to 150 km.
here is the file where I note each tank of gas and the kilometers.
the numbers speak better than my bad english :wink2: :laugh:

adress:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/FUELFRIEND-PLUS-1-Liter-Klein-Benzinkanister-Mini-Reservekanister-Roller-Quad/272815503990?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20161027085944&meid=f794d46fd8bf4f96b7643f3b37ce81cf&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=272553454166&itm=272815503990&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pfen,
Great, I was almost afraid I had to look for a nice bottle, but guess your fuel friend saved my life. And btw, which bad English you were talking about? (As Dutch guy living in a strange country made my language flexible)
Cu Léon

·
Registered
224 Posts
one of the things that prevented from buying the bobber when it came out was the small tank so I toyed with the idea to buy the new Speedmaster but in the end the Bobber's looks won. Someone will come up with a solution.

When I started biking again almost 10 years ago I had a small BMW thumper small tank also only 9 or 10 litres. And then Dutch guy (the Dutch are rubbish at football but sometimes they do have good ideas) produced a second tank which was mounted to the side like a pannier with extra 6,5 litres of petrol. The ventilation tube from the main tank was put into the extra tank so the petrol pump sucked the extra tank empty and then went for the main tank. I could go easily about 360 to 390 kms with one tank stop.

Not an option for the Bobber I know but maybe someone fits a completely new tank ....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts