Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here, what's a good RPM range to stay in during break-in? I moved up from a Rebel 500 and realize the gearing on the Bobber is so different. What was 4th or 5th on the Rebel is now 2nd or 3rd. Trying to avoid lugging the engine. Cold here in NJ, only 200 miles in the last 2 weeks so break-in may take awhile.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not anymore and when there was it was more like pictures.
OK, in all fairness, the sticker (once interpreted by the owners manual) says go to page 56. Page 56 lists do's and don'ts but only one reference to not exceeding 3/4 of max speed, rather vague IMO. I'm looking for specific recommendations based on tach readings. Don't go over 5000 RPM, don't stay below 2000 - rather downshift, etc. Manual doesn't mention what I asked in the thread title.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Read your owners manual there is a full section on that. If you already have 200 miles I would ride it normally, but vary RPM on highway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
OK, in all fairness, the sticker (once interpreted by the owners manual) says go to page 56. Page 56 lists do's and don'ts but only one reference to not exceeding 3/4 of max speed, rather vague IMO. I'm looking for specific recommendations based on tach readings. Don't go over 5000 RPM, don't stay below 2000 - rather downshift, etc. Manual doesn't mention what I asked in the thread title.
not being an arse but that sticker is very clear and very easy to read and undressand....anyway don't go above 3500 and vary about a bit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not being an arse but that sticker is very clear and very easy to read and undressand....anyway don't go above 3500 and vary about a bit
Not being and ass either, mine's a USA bike, perhaps yours is UK and different? I'll attach a pic for clarity or lack there of.
DSC05126.JPG

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's interesting how the approaches to break-in are changing. Customers don't like the "ideal" break-in plans, which are to ride (or drive, same for high-performance cars) it like you stole it, change oil quickly (auto engineer I know who tracks his cars, does his break-ins to frequent redline, and widely varies rpm in all gears, on the way home from the dealer, then changes the oil and filter as soon as he gets home, then another 200 miles of the same and changes again, and then 600 more, changes it a third time and drives normally on the mfg. schedule thereafter), and then drive normally.

No one is going to do the 3 changes before 1,000 miles routine other than the insanely hard-core, but BMW Motorrad have started doing the first change at the 500-600 mile range, and then allowing much higher rpm during break-in than they used to (although still not up to redline).

The old-school of "go easy on it for 1,500 miles, and then drive moderately until the first oil change at 3,000" is changing gradually with cars and bikes. Everyone appreciates longer maintainance intervals, but that's not the best way to break-in an engine. It's a compromise at best. Seems Triumph is slowly moving away from the old way, too. Good to know.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dont use cruise control and vary throttle input , this is to try to avoid sitting at resonate RPMs that create excess vibration and preventing irregularity in the rod shape and piston wall wear pattern.Changing gears alot is important to help avoid sitting at a constant lugging low rpm , at lights rev it up to 2500 to avoid the same.
By varying the engine speed and load it helps the wear and stress on parts evenly distriubute as to prepare it for these varying loads over the life of the engine.
In thoery anyways, never rode a bike at a constant 1800 lumpy rpm took it apart and compared the rod and piston wall to another but maybe manufacturers have.
I gave mine several hard roll an throttle inputs up to 5 after a decent warm up. I also never rode it for less then 20 miles because I've heard the warm up was the most stressfull part on the engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is always an interesting topic because all engines are different so there isn't a 'one size fits all'. A friend has just bought a Honda CB300R and the dealer has told him never to exceed 3500 rpm for the first 500 miles. That gives him a top speed of 35mph which is he sticking to but finding he's getting a lot of hassle from traffic behind him. Single carriageway A roads in the UK have a normal speed limit of 60mph.

I think there are four key things during breaking in - don't let the engine labout (or lug), don't hammer it at high rpm, vary the rpm going up and down the gears, keep to longer runs so it spends little time in the first cold start situation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts