Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks I took a little liberty with the grandiose title to this thread but it sounded better than a couple of days camping and riding up to the Grand Canyon here in Arizona.

I really wanted to clock up some miles and give the bike a shakedown after this Summer's modes, so without planning anything just jumping on the bike, threw my tent/sleeping bag in my panniers and headed out, not knowing were I was going. Ended up at the Grand Canyon (haven't been there for over a decade). Some terrific riding and if any of your chaps get the chance, it really is quite something to see. First time for me doing it on a bike but won't be the last, loved it.

As for my mods? Well I have to say all went well. Love the convenience of the hard panniers. The belt-drive rand flawlessly. The sprung seat and Wilbers soaked up those pumps and I was especially grateful when hitting those unexpected dips or potholes. Comfort of the seat was cracking, easy to spend two or three hours with almost (stopping for gas) non stop riding.

Bit of a fright though. Out camping in the forest in the early hours I was listening to the beautiful sound of the coyotes yelping and then suddenly heard a bear growl within a 100 yards or so of my tent:surprise:. I can tell you, I've never been so happy to have my little S&W .357 next to me. A good reminder to this Englishman I'm not camping up Wales! Took a while to get back to sleep though.

But that aside all went splendid and I must say my little Triumph ran as smooth as silk, what a corker.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sounds like a grand adventure! By the way, how did those Avon Cobras handle the loose dirt? I don’t find them very confidence inspiring off asphalt.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hello Roy, nice adventure. Sleeping in a tent in the middle of nowhere is gutsy? even with a sidearm.? How were the temps this time of the year?

Chico

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Roy, I just rode the 5th leg of my around the world ride and shipped the Enfield from UK to NY.
I’m going to ride it home from NY in Spring through Deep South, Texas, Arizona, then far west to California and north to home (British Columbia).
I could have used so many of your mods even on the Enfield!!!
After seeing your pictures, I’ll absolutely doing the Canyon!
https://alberni.ca/bc-adventurer-takes-two-wheels-through-vietnam-china
https://www.cloverdalereporter.com/news/b-c-adventurer-takes-two-wheels-through-tibet/

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Roy
Nice to have a .357 isn’t it.
Make sure you don’t have ‘the wrong trousers’. See what I did there. ;D

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Roy, sounds like a great ride . . . all except the "camping". I don't do that anymore.

Jaymz, Oh heck no. :surprise: I'm not riding on the side of a mountain with goats. :wink2:

I admire both of you for tackling new adventures. By the way, one of my favorite books is Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor.

Reactions: Roy

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks! I’m 80% finished but I sure would have preferred Ewin’s BMW to the Enfield. I’m always inspired by people on this forum. It’s a true community

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Bit of a fright though. Out camping in the forest in the early hours I was listening to the beautiful sound of the coyotes yelping and then suddenly heard a bear growl within a 100 yards or so of my tent:surprise:. I can tell you, I've never been so happy to have my little S&W .357 next to me. A good reminder to this Englishman I'm not camping up Wales! Took a while to get back to sleep.
Cheerio,

Roy
Hmmm?. SW 357 or not, no bear encounters for me. Seen them up close and personal. They told me they eat .357s for breakfast...and their owners for lunch >:). Glad u had a great time!

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Roy, I just rode the 5th leg of my around the world ride and shipped the Enfield from UK to NY.
I’m going to ride it home from NY in Spring through Deep South, Texas, Arizona, then far west to California and north to home (British Columbia).
I could have used so many of your mods even on the Enfield!!!
After seeing your pictures, I’ll absolutely doing the Canyon!
https://alberni.ca/bc-adventurer-takes-two-wheels-through-vietnam-china
https://www.cloverdalereporter.com/news/b-c-adventurer-takes-two-wheels-through-tibet/
Hi @Jaymz,

I think we are all lightweights for riding in comparison to your adventures mate.

That sounds great, keep in touch and if able I would love to meet up with you when you are our this way and do a little riding together.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Roy
Nice to have a .357 isn’t it.
Make sure you don’t have ‘the wrong trousers’. See what I did there. ;D
Hi @chezqui,

I wondered if anyone would make the connection, well done mate, you much be a fan to of W&G. Love them.

I actually had the 'right trousers' as was wearing my John Doe riding trousers and loved them.

Cheerio,

Roy

P.s. now where is my cheese Gromit..:grin2:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi @chezqui,

I wondered if anyone would make the connection, well done mate, you much be a fan to of W&G. Love them.

I actually had the 'right trousers' as was wearing my John Doe riding trousers and loved them.

Cheerio,

Roy

P.s. now where is my cheese Gromit..:grin2:
They are indeed the right trousers.

Is this something else that I need, :D

not sure my lil legs would reach the ground in them.

...t wouldn't hurt to look, right!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have a tent on my back property, not really that far from my house. We have identified at least 3 different black bears and sometimes the coyotes are so loud they will keep you up! I have spent some nights in the tent with just my dog. When I peek up at the stars I keep expecting a bear to be looking down. My Aussie is extremely alert but sometimes I think the plasticy smell of the tent limits his superpowers!

Although I too have a S&W .357 these days I carry a .45 or 9mm pistol. While these certainly aren't Bear calibers they do allow me to sleep, which is all I hope they ever have to do! >:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts