Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about ready for my road trip. To prep for extended days on the road I have installed a USB adapter to charge cell phone that can be unplugged at a standard 2 prong battery charger type connector so I can also plug in a batt charger or air pump. I have also installed a hard mount Garmin Zumo mount for my Zumo 295...just in case I ever get lost.... what are the odds of that! :wink2: Next up was the Hepco Becker luggage rack behind the seat. I've had this rack on for about a week now and am really starting to like it and the look. Took advantage of the A&J discount and got the Monza gas cap and the Cone Engineering Martini mufflers in black...of course. Mounted both, like both. Looking forward to not having to remove the key to gas up. The Martini pipes sound way different than the stock, and I liked the sound of the stock. The Martini pipes are a bit louder but not obnoxious, I can hear more of the exhaust sound and not as much of the air box sound vs. stock. And I don't notice any difference in how the engine performs, might even run better, but as of right now I have only rode a few blocks down the street and back, time will tell. Petty sure I lost a few pounds vs. the stock mufflers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Looks like you’re set to go. Smallest investment for biggest return IMO, is the Monza gas cap. Worth its weight in gold at every gas stop not having to deal with that key. USB adapter a good choice, too. What’s the planned route?

·
Registered
414 Posts
And I'm also going to Slime my tire tubes
Nice adds to the bike! Just a FYI, I used slime years ago in a tube type tire and it interfered enough with the patching of a nail puncture to cause me a day delay and hours on the side of the road. My advice would be to balance conventionally or use dyna beads. Also note that if you charge through your added adapter it may blow a fuse if it is a fused connection. Hmmm...how would I know this? ?☹☹

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you’re set to go. Smallest investment for biggest return IMO, is the Monza gas cap. Worth its weight in gold at every gas stop not having to deal with that key. USB adapter a good choice, too. What’s the planned route?
I'm just a tag along with some friends group ride. 5 day ride from DFW to the hill country west of Austin then to New Braunfels for the weekend and an old school chopper party. Should be fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice adds to the bike! Just a FYI, I used slime years ago in a tube type tire and it interfered enough with the patching of a nail puncture to cause me a day delay and hours on the side of the road. My advice would be to balance conventionally or use dyna beads. Also note that if you charge through your added adapter it may blow a fuse if it is a fused connection. Hmmm...how would I know this? ?☹☹
I'm not using the slime for balancing but more to slow a puncture should I pick up a nail. I carry a CO2 kit to air up and now with the hard wired plug I can take one of my electric air pumps. Just "get me home" insurance. I would never use slime in a tubeless tire as the mess is not worth it when you can just plug and go but with a tube it could be the difference between sitting at the side of the road or getting to the next town or home. On the down side, I have had the slime foul the valve stem core, just doing its job.>:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have you test fit anything to the Becker rack? Do you think a standard size book bag/back pack would fit without issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you test fit anything to the Becker rack? Do you think a standard size book bag/back pack would fit without issue?

Thanks in advance.
I was surprised by the size of the rack, it is actually a bit bigger than pics make it seem. I'm going to strap a 25 liter dry bag to it, which fits with ease. I think I could probably use my 40 liter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
muffler update

Went on a little 100 mile romp around the metroplex today running errands and I stand corrected. The martini's are quite a bit louder than stock. They have a nice note and I can hear each cylinder hitting now where the stock was muffled. And as stated before, I liked the sound of the stock also. Performance is pretty much unaffected, get an occasional pop from the exhaust, usually when shifting gears.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was surprised by the size of the rack, it is actually a bit bigger than pics make it seem. I'm going to strap a 25 liter dry bag to it, which fits with ease. I think I could probably use my 40 liter.
Thanks. I think I will drop in on one. I am doing an “up the California coast” this summer for my 50th birthday.

Safe adventures to you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks. I think I will drop in on one. I am doing an “up the California coast” this summer for my 50th birthday.
PM me if you are looking for road recommendations or things to do. I’ve lived in SF and LA and have done this many times in a car and bike. Found some hidden gems over the years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
packed

Well, I'm ready to go, leaving in the morning. Here is the bike packed. Last minute adds: one of the overnights has beds but no bedding so a 30 degree F down bag and inflatable pillow. Next: weather still has some rain in the forecast but now a strong cold front moves in Saturday so still have to bring rain gear but now have to also bring more layers, more bulk. The yellow bag is sleeping bag and pillow, grey bag is 5 days of clothes, layers and kit, blue bag on the bars is rain gear and a pair of riding pants. Will also have a small backpack with small stuff. I always put a small stretchy cargo net over my pack so I can quickly add stuff on the road, like shedding a layer or two, bottle of water, etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
That's a great looking setup, ajax. Please take some pics along the way and share them as you go (see the "Share Pictures Of Your Triumph Bobber RIGHT NOW!" thread in the Lounge). I'm curious about the distance from the back of your seat to the back of the seat rack. Are we talking 10-12 inches or so?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
returned

Got back from the Hill Country Sunday night. Ended up being an 800 mile 5 day trip. Mostly good weather, good friends, almost too many beers, and tons of fun. Unfortunately my camera was right on my computer desk where I left it so no pics. I was able to pack everything I needed and of course a few things I didn't. The bike was flawless and averaged right around 50 mpg, which is fantastic. The good mileage is in part due to the 3 Harley Shovelheads, 1 Panhead and 2 Knuckleheads I was riding with at an average speed of about 60. By myself I would have been going a lot faster. As far as touring with a Bobber I think multi 300-400 mile days are very doable as long as you don't have to pack camping gear. By Sunday I didn't even think about my rearend on the 270 miles home, stock seat with a sheepskin.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice mods! I have just installed my USB charger today finding the right spot was hard thou - I ended up mounting it about the fuse relay box - use the SAE quick connectors to alternate between my trickle charger over the winter. Have a safe ride dude!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts