Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't stay away for the gearing mod so I've a TTR 16T front sprocket on order from my dealer and I'm going to mate that with a ZF 39T on the rear which is basically a fancy dual material sprocket like the Supersprox but half the price.
That just leaves the chain , in the past I've always gone for gold DID's or Regina's but fancied something different looks wise so I came across the RK ZXW. I know nothing about them except they are Japanese and are quite highly regarded in the dirt bike world. They aren't particularly cheap, it's quoted as being super heavy duty and suitable for hyperbikes so shouldn't stretch too much on a Bobber. Just be interested to hear if anyone here uses one.
Last question....with the gearing I've stated I'm assuming a 108 link would still be fine?...here's the chain I like the look of.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I couldn't stay away for the gearing mod so I've a TTR 16T front sprocket on order from my dealer and I'm going to mate that with a ZF 39T on the rear which is basically a fancy dual material sprocket like the Supersprox but half the price.
That just leaves the chain , in the past I've always gone for gold DID's or Regina's but fancied something different looks wise so I came across the RK ZXW. I know nothing about them except they are Japanese and are quite highly regarded in the dirt bike world. They aren't particularly cheap, it's quoted as being super heavy duty and suitable for hyperbikes so shouldn't stretch too much on a Bobber. Just be interested to hear if anyone here uses one.
Last question....with the gearing I've stated I'm assuming a 108 link would still be fine?...here's the chain I like the look of. View attachment 42371
I was looking at this chain when picking mine. Think it looks seriously bad ass. Will give a sleak custom look. I decided against it cause thought a bit modern for the look I was going for. Bit harley maybe. I also maybe wrong cause it is a seriously nice looking chain. Go for it I say. Don't forget the pics

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish you didn't post that chain pic. Still can't decide if prefer that or not lol
Looks wise it nails it for the styling route I wanna go down. Just no idea if they are any good ? i might take a chance and try it so that just leaves the question is 108 links is enough?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taking 1 tooth off the front and adding 2 on the back?? Why not just go 1 tooth less on back???
It's would suit my style of riding and roads better. I'm not concerned about top end power at all as I'm rarely above 80 mph anywhere. After reading through the gearing thread 16/39 was mostly picked as the sweet spot by a few of the guys on here including trirocket3 , so that's good enough for me. ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
What is it you don’t like about the stock gearing?????

If you are losing a tooth at the front and add 2 teeth at the rear that’s equivalent of 1 off the rear pretty much aaint it

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is it you don’t like about the stock gearing?????

If you are losing a tooth at the front and add 2 teeth at the rear that’s equivalent of 1 off the rear pretty much aaint it
Nothing wrong really with the gearing as is but just want to get it to more the acceleration of the Thruxton R. I'm not concerned about top end as we all know the speed is limited anyway and I do zero motorway miles. If I can get more surge through the rev range with a simple and fairly cheap sprocket mod then I reckon that's good bang per buck plus if I'm changing one I'd rather do the whole drive-chain in one go.
As for adding one more tooth at the back you are right in a sense but the ratios are still better (subjective) with my idea plus I won't have the unsightly mudguard / tyre spacing issue that can crop up. All this dropping and adding teeth is starting to confuse me as well now!!! ??

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nothing wrong really with the gearing as is but just want to get it to more the acceleration of the Thruxton R. I'm not concerned about top end as we all know the speed is limited anyway and I do zero motorway miles. If I can get more surge through the rev range with a simple and fairly cheap sprocket mod then I reckon that's good bang per buck plus if I'm changing one I'd rather do the whole drive-chain in one go.
As for adding one more tooth at the back you are right in a sense but the ratios are still better (subjective) with my idea plus I won't have the unsightly mudguard / tyre spacing issue that can crop up. All this dropping and adding teeth is starting to confuse me as well now!!! ??
Great answer. I suppose I’m saying all this after riding a season on the apes, now they have gone I might change my mind, but still gonna stick with it after the money a forked out on my drive chain:sick:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I went in shop to buy it (hate internet shopping) asked the bloke in shop for it, he asked how many miles on my bike, when i said 2000 he looked at me like i was insane lol

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went in shop to buy it (hate internet shopping) asked the bloke in shop for it, he asked how many miles on my bike, when i said 2000 he looked at me like i was insane lol
If it's any consolation mate I've done 700 miles on mine ? My dealer just laughs everytime i go in there with a box of bits. He's already said I should set up a direct debit with them! ?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Taking 1 tooth off the front and adding 2 on the back?? Why not just go 1 tooth less on back???
Bobberfett is looking to lower the overall gearing... losing 1 tooth on the rear will raise the gearing..

I’ve gone 16f 40r on my new Speedmaster... will be fitting it on Thursday and I’m 99% sure the stock chain will be fine.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Bobberfett is looking to lower the overall gearing... losing 1 tooth on the rear will raise the gearing..

I’ve gone 16f 40r on my new Speedmaster... will be fitting it on Thursday and I’m 99% sure the stock chain will be fine.
As said in previous Answer. I ment add one at rear (y) (y)

·
Registered
492 Posts
[/QUOTE]

If adding 1 at the back causes spacing issues doesnt adding 2 at the back(39t) not exacerbate this issue. As you going up twice the amount of teeth.
I would of thought 17/48 would be closer to the stock radius's

1 - 20 of 48 Posts