Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you computer wizards...here`s a challenge impossible for you.

It would be REALLY NICE if someone could add a map on here that covers either each Region (as you have for the rideout/events/clubs section) or even each Country (USA/UK/EUROPE) that members could pin where they are and can zoom in closer and find others they can contact for ride outs.

I have seen this on another forum but cant think which one:frown2:, i know if you look for some things/products on Google you get a map and key in your post code/area code and it throws up dealers near you.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Maybe - if there is enough demand, the @Administrator can integrate a google map/other feature into a sticky page, so registered members can pin their (general) locations.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe - if there is enough demand, the @Administrator can integrate a google map/other feature into a sticky page, so registered members can pin their (general) locations.
It would be good if they did i think, thats why i raised it.(perhaps Triumph would pay for the publicity to show the spread of their bobber :wink2:)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I believe the app Waze has a facility that enebles riders in a given area to identify one another in order to hook up for ride outs.

·
Registered
459 Posts
:nerd:
already if everyone put in their avatar the city and the country from where they are..:wink2:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
:nerd:
already if everyone put in their avatar the city and the country from where they are..:wink2:
PFEN, there was a discussion a few moths ago regarding members to designate their location in their avatar. It seems that the idea went nowhere. I believe it would be a good idea to encourage posters to tell us where they are, unless they are ashamed of it.:confused:

Chico

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
There is a very strong sense of comradery and unity in this forum. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy being part of it.
But I also totally respect that some members like their privacy and prefer to keep their name/location, etc unknown to others.

So while I think the map is a nice idea, its by no means essential to the forum and might fade out once initial excitement has passed.
Also, we already have the “ride out” section divided into global areas.

·
Administrator
225 Posts
I had a look and wasn't able to find a map feature that would work here. @bofor were you able to remember what forum you saw this feature on?

Niall

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a look and wasn't able to find a map feature that would work here. @bofor were you able to remember what forum you saw this feature on?

Niall
No Sorry Niall...its like the ones some big dealers use..like Harley, key in post code / /Area code and shows sites near you.

·
Administrator
225 Posts
Like Niall mentioned, I think it will be difficult to find something comparable that would work on this site, but we can definitely keep our eyes open. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,

Erik

·
Registered
604 Posts
You could set up a Google account and do a scrape of member locations from the forum database to add a pin location for each person who has added the info to thier profile (in theory at least although it's not something I have done), the bottom post on this LINK i think outlines the steps best looking at a google maps solution rather than a forum plugin, though its 0300 and I'm not too far awake right now.

·
Administrator
225 Posts
There is a very strong sense of comradery and unity in this forum. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy being part of it.
But I also totally respect that some members like their privacy and prefer to keep their name/location, etc unknown to others.

So while I think the map is a nice idea, its by no means essential to the forum and might fade out once initial excitement has passed.
Also, we already have the “ride out” section divided into global areas.
I think it's a fair point that not every member would like to be included in this map, even if they have added their location in their profile page.

~ Glenda

·
Super Moderator
842 Posts
I think it's a fair point that not every member would like to be included in this map, even if they have added their location in their profile page.

~ Glenda
Easy enough to include a tick box in the profile for "show on map"

Reactions: ysoslo

·
Administrator
225 Posts
All in all, there isn't a map plugin that we can install onto this forum software.
Unfortunately, @Steve_b, the site you mentioned isn't a vBulletin forum, they run on a different software.
If we get news on a plugin regarding this type of feature, we'll give you all a heads up here.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts