Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to augment my Shoei 1200 with a retro lid. Have discounted Bell Bullitt because of excessive wind noise (don’t ask how I know that :frown2:) and I assume the new Eliminator has similar issues. Am looking at AGV x3000, Biltwell Gringo S ECE, and the By City Roadster Carbon. Anyone have experiences they’d like to share re: noise, venting, ability to use comms, if needed, etc. or any other lids that should be on the list? Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't tried one, but I like the look of the Nolan N21
I agree but, these days I only ride with a full face helmet. There’s a lot of retro choices with 3/4 open face but, fewer full face. And once you go full face, retro helmets, due to venting issues and overall shape, often have issues with noise. They’re just not as hi-tech as “modern” helmets but, they sure look cool. And they fit the Bobber oh-so-well. So, gotta have one. When I do, I’ll use the Shoei for my longer distance multi-day rides on my Indian Scout.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I really like the Shoei Ex Zero but not sure it goes with the Bobber look that well, love the retro look of it though

I've just pulled the trigger on a Shoei J O Gratte Ciel, as I've found the shape fits my melon head really well and the slightly rat look with pinstriping pushes my buttons.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Like the look of that Shoei Ex Zero, too. Sort of a take on retro like what Blltwell Lane Spllitter and the Bell Moto 111 have done. I always ride with a full face shield so, haven’t tried a goggle type opening but the Ex Zero also has a pull down shield that covers a good part of the face. Like the look. But, I assume that even with that smaller opening and more so with the googles if the shield is up, there’s a lot more wind noise since it’s not a closed area. Not sure about rain, either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the eliminator and love it. Kind of noisy at higher speeds but I have the Cardo headset and can hear whomever perfectly fine. Bell came out with a vent guard for the top eyelets. No covers for the front. Ventilation is great on the front though, so much air circulating. The wider opening makes it easy to put on and off. Perfect for mild to hot weather. Not sure about colder weather yet. TBD. I haven’t been able to fog up the visor. It’s a pretty cool helmet.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I have the eliminator and love it. Kind of noisy at higher speeds but I have the Cardo headset and can hear whomever perfectly fine. Bell came out with a vent guard for the top eyelets. No covers for the front. Ventilation is great on the front though, so much air circulating. The wider opening makes it easy to put on and off. Perfect for mild to hot weather. Not sure about colder weather yet. TBD. I haven’t been able to fog up the visor. It’s a pretty cool helmet.
Thanks for the review.
Which color do you have ? I’ve been eyeing up the “Outlaw” design...

·
Registered
548 Posts
These guys do helmets:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/2920

Available in the Uk, I do sport the vintage pin up open face with drop down visor. My head looks ok even with its roundness, as it isnt a massive helmet. I done get bothered by the wind noise, as it is relatively mild and much less than my Shoei GT air. My eyes do water at higher speeds, but I can fit sunglasses on under the visor, not proper bike glasses, just regular safety glasses.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the review.
Which color do you have ? I’ve been eyeing up the “Outlaw” design...[/QUOTE]

I have the white helmet. I have the bobber black and looked at the the matt finish but wanted something with more contrast. Eventually I would like to find someone to do a design on the helmet to make it more personalized.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on a Bell Eliminator (outlaw color) and added a Cardo FreeCom 4+ with JBL speakers.
I’m usually a Sena fan, but thought I’d give Cardo a try again as it’s been many years since I last used one of their products.

I’ll update the thread once I get the helmet and headset (first week of July, hopefully).
But after a lot of reading this is definitely a summer use only helmet and I am not bothering with the ugly plastic cap to cover the vent holes.
I’m hoping it’ll be better than my Bullitt in every way!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just pulled the trigger on a Bell Eliminator (outlaw color) and added a Cardo FreeCom 4+ with JBL speakers.
I’m usually a Sena fan, but thought I’d give Cardo a try again as it’s been many years since I last used one of their products.

I’ll update the thread once I get the helmet and headset (first week of July, hopefully).
But after a lot of reading this is definitely a summer use only helmet and I am not bothering with the ugly plastic cap to cover the vent holes.
I’m hoping it’ll be better than my Bullitt in every way!

Good looking helmet! And if anyone is in need of another lid, it’s definitely you.>:) Now that you’re getting dialed into seasonal lids, you have to elevate to monthly ones. Can’t have enough, right? Hope there’s no rain any any forecast without that vent cover. Actually, on a black helmet, if the cover is black, you might hardly see it, if at all. I tried the helmet at the Bike Shed Show in London last month. Very good field of vision and with Bell’s usual quality, was comfortable, too. But, I’m still a bit shell shocked with my Bullitt experience as far as noise, so I may pass on another Bell. My hearing is bad enough these days. With your Flares, it may not be an issue. Recent reviews of the Cardo comms have been really good, so I think you made a good choice there. I may do the same on my next purchase.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I’ll start to worry when I get down to daily helmets >:)

Thanks for the input re. the Cardo & Bell.
I haven’t actually seen (either) yet, so only going on user reviews. But I’m a lot less worried now hearing what you think of both - and especially after handling the Eliminator.

The flares do indeed do away with all noise issues and I even use them when off the bike too. They are simply the best in-ear speakers I’ve ever come across.

I’ll let you know what I think of the Cardo compared to the Sena units.

Have you managed to try on an AGV yet ?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I got the Cardo Freecom 2+ and they’ve been great so far. Key is to keep updating the firmware to match with app. I love that I can disconnect the units and (with another connection set) can move it between helmets.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll let you know what I think of the Cardo compared to the Sena units.

Have you managed to try on an AGV yet ?
Interested in your comparison of Sena (which I currently have on my Shoei) vs. Cardo. Why the comm unit if you use the Bluetooth Flares? Unless you want to connect with other riders, and you the Flares for music or directions from your phone, what’s the Cardo bringing to the party?

Haven’t tried the AGV. Would have to get over my intense dislike of their obnoxious logo placement. Will try to find a Portland area dealer when I’m back there. If not, may just go with the new Gringo S ECE.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I love my Cardo Packtalk, and it's still working phenomenally after a year of use. The Freecoms are the Bluetooth communicators, and it'll be interesting to see how they stack up to the Senas you're used to. My 2 cents is that Bluetooth (BT) is BT, so it probably won't be much of a difference other than waterproof with Cardo vs. water resistant with Sena. As a one-man show, the rider-to-rider connectivity isn't an issue, but for anyone else that rides with friends, the PackTalk is definitely the way to go. No re-syncing every time you meet up with a buddy to ride. Once you've synced the Cardo PackTalk with DMC (Dynamic Mesh Communication), you never need to sync again, because the PackTalk automatically connects whenever you and a buddy are within range/sight of each other. Absolutely awesome!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I love my Cardo Packtalk, and it's still working phenomenally after a year of use. The Freecoms are the Bluetooth communicators, and it'll be interesting to see how they stack up to the Senas you're used to. My 2 cents is that Bluetooth (BT) is BT, so it probably won't be much of a difference other than waterproof with Cardo vs. water resistant with Sena. As a one-man show, the rider-to-rider connectivity isn't an issue, but for anyone else that rides with friends, the PackTalk is definitely the way to go. No re-syncing every time you meet up with a buddy to ride. Once you've synced the Cardo PackTalk with DMC (Dynamic Mesh Communication), you never need to sync again, because the PackTalk automatically connects whenever you and a buddy are within range/sight of each other. Absolutely awesome!
All the DMC and rider group functions are wasted on me.
I usually ride solo or at most with one friend who does not even own a headset.
So i am looking for slimline unit with great music quality (40 to 45mm speakers min.), reliable connectivity and good voice command function.
Buttons and glove usability while riding are also low on my list of requirements, as i rarely touch the unit once my music is on and GPS set - if required.

So far SENA have been my favorite as the battery life, connection and music sharing capability is so reliable. On the GSA, I ride quite alot with my son (he has a Sena SMH10) and once he outgrows his current helmet i may try a dual packtalk. He also likes talking and listening to music while we ride and always tell me he wants my next jacket to have an iPad stuck to the back :grin2:

·
Registered
275 Posts
These guys do helmets:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/2920

Available in the Uk, I do sport the vintage pin up open face with drop down visor. My head looks ok even with its roundness, as it isnt a massive helmet. I done get bothered by the wind noise, as it is relatively mild and much less than my Shoei GT air. My eyes do water at higher speeds, but I can fit sunglasses on under the visor, not proper bike glasses, just regular safety glasses.

My elder Bell became rather worn, and on random visit of local bike store I found this Laser Mambo Evo with brushed aluminium look and very comfortable stylish interior. Internal sun visor is essential for me as bespectacled and press-snap peak is in the box. Full satisfaction must say.

https://www.lazerhelmets.com/product.php?pid=26[/quote]

Both of those above sites have some really great looking lids.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I purchased the Bitwell Gringo earlier this year. Not having a faceshield made it unusable on the Bobber. Today I tried it on for a day ride on my Tiger which has a windshield. it worked out very well. The helmet is well made, comfortable and light with good visibility. well worth the $125.00 it cost me on sale.

Chico

1 - 20 of 52 Posts