Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before you have a go at me, please understand I have the mechanical aptitude of a 6 year old, i know the theory but for the life of me i can't trust anything I do myself. Installing the BC Tips is about the limit of my ability.

Just how long does it take to take the cat out and install an X-Pipe in it's place? (Really want to know so the dealer does not rip me off on time take n too badly when i take it to them to fit)

Ta

·
Registered
459 Posts
also have the right tools.:wink2:

about 3 hours of work.
:nerd:
be meticulous because the slightest crooked movement can damage the paint frame to remove the catalyst.

and otherwise: 2 hours at the concession :D
it avoids trouble,if there is a problem, they are the ones who pay :wink2:
and when you buy a bike at this price, you can get a little buck to avoid the trouble >:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
:nerd:
the guy is talking more than he is working >:)
he works a funny way and sweat like crazy :crying::crying:

he must certainly be more comfortable with his "like" on Facebook with tools in hands ;)

one more thing: and in addition he has something that he does not even know where he comes from! and it gives advice !! too much

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am having a problem :( I replaced the cat with a Tec xpipe and all went back together fine. However, there was an exhaust leak on the left rear connection, so I bought a complete replacement (clamp and nut plus gasket). Now, can I get the replacement on? Can I f**k. Whatever I try, I can't get the clamp with the gasket to seat over the outlet flange on the xpipe. Any ideas anyone? One spanner has already gone flying across the garage in frustration!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I am having a problem :( I replaced the cat with a Tec xpipe and all went back together fine. However, there was an exhaust leak on the left rear connection, so I bought a complete replacement (clamp and nut plus gasket). Now, can I get the replacement on? Can I f**k. Whatever I try, I can't get the clamp with the gasket to seat over the outlet flange on the xpipe. Any ideas anyone? One spanner has already gone flying across the garage in frustration!
I would do this - take the left exhaust pipe OFF so the Xpipe is totally visible. Put the new clamp/gasket on the outer flange and snug but don't tighten so that it can still spread but not enough to fall off. Make sure the nut is poing in a direction (down I think) to where you can get to it, then push the exhaust pipe into the flange. Tighten the nut on the gasket.

Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would do this - take the left exhaust pipe OFF so the Xpipe is totally visible. Put the new clamp/gasket on the outer flange and snug but don't tighten so that it can still spread but not enough to fall off. Make sure the nut is poing in a direction (down I think) to where you can get to it, then push the exhaust pipe into the flange. Tighten the nut on the gasket.

Good luck!
I think I need a whole lotta luck! I can't even get the clamp/gasket on to the flange, it's as if the gasket is too wide so it's not leaving enough room within the clamp for the flange. I've even checked with the parts supplier and an on-line parts list, and there is only one width of gasket so it can't be an incorrect part. I'm lost!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think I need a whole lotta luck! I can't even get the clamp/gasket on to the flange, it's as if the gasket is too wide so it's not leaving enough room within the clamp for the flange. I've even checked with the parts supplier and an on-line parts list, and there is only one width of gasket so it can't be an incorrect part. I'm lost!
Well, I've put the old gasket back on (it went on easily enough) and it's not blowing. I reckon either the gasket was too wide (8mm v 7mm old one) or the old clamp was marginally wider. It's not a 100% fix as the exhaust pipe is a bit loose in the outlet, but it'll do for the moment, at least I'm mobile again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, I've put the old gasket back on (it went on easily enough) and it's not blowing. I reckon either the gasket was too wide (8mm v 7mm old one) or the old clamp was marginally wider. It's not a 100% fix as the exhaust pipe is a bit loose in the outlet, but it'll do for the moment, at least I'm mobile again.
Had an email discussion with George at Tec. I'm glad I did, I'm not going nuts. His quote "Triumphs replacement gaskets will not fit! they are the wrong size and too big for the clamp, I have told them several times but nothing seems to get through." So beware!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Had an email discussion with George at Tec. I'm glad I did, I'm not going nuts. His quote "Triumphs replacement gaskets will not fit! they are the wrong size and too big for the clamp, I have told them several times but nothing seems to get through." So beware!
That's some good info right there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts