Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love everything about the bobber except the name.
I want it gone.

Have anyone tried to remove the stickers? If so, how to do it?

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's a clear coated sticker I believe. One method I've seen for taking it off is tracing around the sticker with a sharp razor, soak it in WD-40, heat it up with a heat gun, and you can peel it off. Then you would have to sand down with some 2500 grit sandpaper and polish it out because you'll have the etching around it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
On the bright side, the panel with the Bobber decal is easier to sand and polish than the gas tank where the Triumph decal is. Would plasti dipping the whole piece work to cover it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
i easily removed 9 stickers with my fingernails and 9 reflectors but I kept the Bobber decal.

i'd think heat and solvent very judiciously applied is what I'd try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a clear coated sticker. You won't get it off with the heat gun/ WD40 method.
You're going to have to sand & re-paint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'ts more than just a "sticker"; if you remove the side covers and look at the insides, you'll notice that the "Bobber" emblem is actually molded into the cover. There is no simple way to remove those nametags. You can cover it with something as simple as a vinyl decal (Union Jack looks cool) or do what I did and cover it with Carbon Fiber; easy on/off with a hairdryer. Looked awesome if you ask me; problem for me though was that the wife really liked the "Bobber" nametags and had me remove the Carbon Fiber overlay... Can't win with this woman!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took off my top of the gas tank 2 decals few days ago. Did it slowly and carefully and used goo gone after to remove the sticky stuff and then cleaned up real good with Honda cleaner/polish. To my disappointment you can still see a line where they were and some shiny surface contrasted to a duller surface. Very disappointed they chose to put these things on the gas tank. Wonder if I can go warranty for them damaging my tank. I figured the longer I left them the more chance for damage. It is a 17 so prob. been on for a while tho. :-(

·
Registered
363 Posts
I took off my top of the gas tank 2 decals few days ago. Did it slowly and carefully and used goo gone after to remove the sticky stuff and then cleaned up real good with Honda cleaner/polish. To my disappointment you can still see a line where they were and some shiny surface contrasted to a duller surface. Very disappointed they chose to put these things on the gas tank. Wonder if I can go warranty for them damaging my tank. I figured the longer I left them the more chance for damage. It is a 17 so prob. been on for a while tho. :-(
i'm guessing you have ironstone like me? i experienced the same thing with the tank sticker once i removed it. you could still see the square sticker shape especially at certain angles/lighting. the good news is it has slowly faded so it's not as noticeable anymore. thinking with the glossy paint colors it would be easier to buff away. i always hate any warning decals that manufacturers seem to place everywhere these days (cars, bikes, etc.). i'm sure they're required though to put these things there for legal/liability reasons. would be nice if they used a better "glue" for these for ease of removal with no after marks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I took off my stickers the day I bought the bike. Used a little heat to remove and either Goof Off or lighter fluid to remove the residue. I did polish the tank with car wax afterward. Nothing can be seen at all. Hope yours works as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stickers on the tank and mirrors came off the next day after I rode it home. No problem just peeled off and cleaned off the glue. What the bike needs, is a decal to know what the tire pressure should be front and rear. My previous 2013 Thunderbird had it on the swingarm. Now my Bobber has it on the chain guard.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts