Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at removing the rear mudguard to repaint/wrap
Looking at it seems to be held on by 4 hex nuts on the underside of the mudguard plus of course the bolts on the brackets.

Am I right in thinking the back wheel has to be removed to get the mudguard off or has anyone worked out a work around?

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Couple into the stay, couple to brackets by swingcradle one into chainguard bracket, and two sneaky ones at front end going forward towards gearbox.
Mine is different now, but I think it could be wrangled out with wheel still in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If not a secret, why do you want to remove it? Don't like how it looks? Cause this is actually a pretty useful detail for any bike :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looking at removing the rear mudguard to repaint/wrap
Looking at it seems to be held on by 4 hex nuts on the underside of the mudguard plus of course the bolts on the brackets.

Am I right in thinking the back wheel has to be removed to get the mudguard off or has anyone worked out a work around?

Thanks Guys.

Others on this forum have reported being able to remove the rear fender without removing the rear wheel. I️ tried and and eventually gave up. I️’ll blame it on not having the proper tools rather than my own ineptitude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Removing the wheel is pretty simple. You won't even need to mess with the chain tension. The chain guard is actually the hardest thing to get off which is attached to the fender. It has loctite on it and the bracket it's attached to is pretty flimsy and bends easily. I think removing with wheel on is doable. Hardest bolts to get to are the ones at the bottom towards the front of the wheel. You will need a low profile ratchet and 5 point to remove.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You can remove the rear fender without removing the rear wheel if you have the right tools. It will add about 1 1/2 hours to the operation. you can remove the rear wheel in about 15 minutes with standard hand tools???

·
Registered
792 Posts
You can remove the rear fender without removing the rear wheel if you have the right tools. It will add about 1 1/2 hours to the operation. You can remove the rear wheel in about 15 minutes with standard hand tools???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can remove the rear fender without removing the rear wheel if you have the right tools. It will add about 1 1/2 hours to the operation. you can remove the rear wheel in about 15 minutes with standard hand tools???

Good logic at work...thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies Gents.

My intention is wrap all the tinware on the bike and the rear mudguard looks the most difficult to get off.

Back wheel will have to come off.

Will post pictures when done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Couple into the stay, couple to brackets by swingcradle one into chainguard bracket, and two sneaky ones at front end going forward towards gearbox.
Mine is different now, but I think it could be wrangled out with wheel still in.
This is a ball ache to be honest. You would be better off removing the rear wheel if you have a paddock stand and bobbins fitted

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wow this is an old thread, I expect Redeyes mudguard has been painted/wrapped by now since he posted this in nov 17.

This is a ball ache to be honest. You would be better off removing the rear wheel if you have a paddock stand and bobbins fitted
Redeye
Question was does the rear wheel HAVE to be removed,my answer was no it does not have to be removed, I have done it, no big deal it's just bolts, good choice of tools helps.
Take wheel out or leave it in either way the mudguard can get painted, a ball ache for some is an itch to someone else. 0:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts