Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry can't answer as that's not a mod i have considered, but would be interested to hear your findings also how far you wheelie once you have changed it :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the change on 40 teeth. My first impression was, much more torque in all gears, even 6th is no longer an overdrive, it definitely pushes forward.
But I also recognized that throttle reactions became very sensitive and not that smooth as before (gear hammer)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello together, does anyone have experience with a 42 teeth rear sprocket already?
I have ordered one already and perhaps anyone can give some experience how the different is.
I ran a 42 for a while, I think it was great, encouraged me to rag it through the gears, & generally hoon it more.
Chain adjusters need playing with & wheel sits well forward shortening wheelbase & making rear mudguard look a little remote unless you have shortened/eliminated it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi you said you run 42 for a while why did you change back? Been considering this for a while. Did the bike accelerate much harder? Did the front lift? Cheers stevie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello together, does anyone have experience with a 42 teeth rear sprocket already?
I have ordered one already and perhaps anyone can give some experience how the different is.
I ran a 42 for a while, I think it was great, encouraged me to rag it through the gears, & generally hoon it more.
Chain adjusters need playing with & wheel sits well forward shortening wheelbase & making rear mudguard look a little remote unless you have shortened/eliminated it.
Well I’ve ordered 42 rear today, I think the speedo off the bobber is off the abs rings and not gearbox pickup? Can anyone clarify? Also wondering if this will help beat the speed limiter that the bobber has on it around 110/115? Hopefully it fits with original chain and wheel position forward ...

·
Super Moderator
877 Posts
Well I’ve ordered 42 rear today, I think the speedo off the bobber is off the abs rings and not gearbox pickup? Can anyone clarify? Also wondering if this will help beat the speed limiter that the bobber has on it around 110/115? Hopefully it fits with original chain and wheel position forward ...

Sure it's not the rev limiter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No the bobber speed is capped around 110/115 I’m 100% on that. That’s not an issue as I rarely go much over 90 tbh. What I mean is that I hope that the speedo is off the abs sensor as if I change gearing I don’t want the speedo to read 110 when I’m doing 90 and limit me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
No the bobber speed is capped around 110/115 I’m 100% on that. That’s not an issue as I rarely go much over 90 tbh. What I mean is that I hope that the speedo is off the abs sensor as if I change gearing I don’t want the speedo to read 110 when I’m doing 90 and limit me.
Speedo will read fine, could really do with an extra link or two in the chain to save messing with wheel adjusters & keep wheelbase stock, I have now dropped a tooth in front by fitting a TTR sprocket & 39 rear.
I am so fed up with people talking about rev limiter or lack of power holding down the top speed, I have upped my rpm limit & have 100+rwhp & 90+ftlb still speed capped to 115mph, but I do have someone working on a way around it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Speedo will read fine, could really do with an extra link or two in the chain to save messing with wheel adjusters & keep wheelbase stock, I have now dropped a tooth in front by fitting a TTR sprocket & 39 rear.
I am so fed up with people talking about rev limiter or lack of power holding down the top speed, I have upped my rpm limit & have 100+rwhp & 90+ftlb still speed capped to 115mph, but I do have someone working on a way around it.
will be very interested in your results if you don't mind sharing

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would say yes its possible, but take in consideration extra chain wear caused by a smaller front sprocket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am so fed up with people talking about rev limiter or lack of power holding down the top speed, I have upped my rpm limit & have 100+rwhp & 90+ftlb still speed capped to 115mph, but I do have someone working on a way around it.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant info cheers mate. Got the sprocket on today love it feels much more up my street, a lot punchier! How did you up the rpm?

Cheers
Stevie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts