Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about the Fox shock upgrade available through Triumph. Has anyone here upgraded from the stock unit? I don't find the stock shock too bad, but the spring is a bit harsh for my 155lb weight. If it had preload adjustment that would be an improvement. My son weighs about 60 lbs more than I do and he thinks it's fine. Any feedback?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I've been thinking about the Fox shock upgrade available through Triumph. Has anyone here upgraded from the stock unit? I don't find the stock shock too bad, but the spring is a bit harsh for my 155lb weight. If it had preload adjustment that would be an improvement. My son weighs about 60 lbs more than I do and he thinks it's fine. Any feedback?
Hi,

I have the upgraded Fox shock and as MuensterDeath correctly stated, i cannot compare to the stock shock as mine was installed from delivery.
I can say that the rear of the bike feels great (i have bikes with Ohlins, traxxion Dynamics, wilbers, Sachs, etc...) and i am very impressed with the Fox unit (it is the first time i have used Fox).
You can see a pic of my Fox here : http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/601-what-did-you-do-your-triumph-bonneville-bobber-today/1313-today-i.html

I weigh about 215+lbs which is quite a bit more than you, so i would send an email to Fox to ask about a shock setup for your weight.
If you want to try another route, speak to DAN @ Traxxion Dynamics. These guys know their suspension & i´m sure they will be happy to guide you in the right direction. I am also going to speak to them about the front suspension which i feel could use some upgrading (especially as the rear feels so pliant and plush)
Dan Anderson: [email protected]

I hope that helps.

E.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi,

I have the upgraded Fox shock and as MuensterDeath correctly stated, i cannot compare to the stock shock as mine was installed from delivery.
I can say that the rear of the bike feels great (i have bikes with Ohlins, traxxion Dynamics, wilbers, Sachs, etc...) and i am very impressed with the Fox unit (it is the first time i have used Fox).
You can see a pic of my Fox here : http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...mph-bonneville-bobber-today/1313-today-i.html

I weigh about 215+lbs which is quite a bit more than you, so i would send an email to Fox to ask about a shock setup for your weight.
If you want to try another route, speak to DAN @ Traxxion Dynamics. These guys know their suspension & i´m sure they will be happy to guide you in the right direction. I am also going to speak to them about the front suspension which i feel could use some upgrading (especially as the rear feels so pliant and plush)
Dan Anderson: [email protected]

I hope that helps.

E.
Does your shock have spring preload adjustment? I picked up my Fox shock today and it only has rebound adjustment. The photos that Triumph show have a preload adjuster.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Does your shock have spring preload adjustment? I picked up my Fox shock today and it only has rebound adjustment. The photos that Triumph show have a preload adjuster.

Thanks
My FOX shock DOES NOT have preload adjustment. Only rebound.
If you want/need preload adjustability, go for the Matris Shock (model M40D available in different colors):

You can see the model description here (bear in mind ours is a single shock and not double, however the specs are the same...)
https://www.matrisdampers.com/en/prodotto/products/twinshock-m40d/

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I (at 95kg) am satisfied with the Fox shock and have no need to adjust the preload.
However, since upgrading the front brakes i feel the front is too soft and has alot of dive and slow (soggy) rebound - and as such have ordered a complete fork kit (F15K) from Matris.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I purchased the Fox shock before I left on tour a few weeks ago and will install it soon. The dealer gave me a nice discount. I may do it myself, but I'm not to sure how to jack up the bike since it's so low. Might just have the dealer install it when I have my 500 mile service.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I purchased the Fox shock before I left on tour a few weeks ago and will install it soon. The dealer gave me a nice discount. I may do it myself, but I'm not to sure how to jack up the bike since it's so low. Might just have the dealer install it when I have my 500 mile service.
Would be great to hear a comparison from someone who has put some miles on the standard shock and then changed to the Fox.
I would let the dealer do the install. It is relatively simple and won't take them long as they have the correct tools and jacks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Would be great to hear a comparison from someone who has put some miles on the standard shock and then changed to the Fox.

I would let the dealer do the install. It is relatively simple and won't take them long as they have the correct tools and jacks.

I just got mine in today

I've put about 1000 miles on various Bobbers. I'll do a write up and comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts

I have experience with the original shock about 2000 Kilometers done. After that i have decided to change to the Fox Suspension because the original shock was a Little to hard for me.

In comparsion to the Fox Suspension i can say that this upgrade of Suspension is more comfortable than the Standard shock.

I have adjust the shock to the "softest" Setup, it´s fine, comfy but also trustful in curves if you go faster in it.

So i can say this purchase was a good and big improvement for the Suspension for me personal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am getting the fox shock installed today - will let you know in the next week or so after putting some time in the saddle. I'm 220 and have 2300kms in on the stock shock.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts