Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to ditch the plastic lights on the rear end. Has anyone heard any news on aftermarket releases?

The British Customs team says they are working on it. But that was 2 months ago.

Not a fan of the Triumph taillight Elimination fender set up. Not hiding the module under the fender ruins the aesthetics for me.

The plastic break away lights ruin the vintage look of the bike. Drives me crazy to see that rear assembly.

I replaced the front with Harley bullets with smoked lens. Tapped into the marker light in the harness to have running light functionality up front. I don't have a great pic to share. But it was an easy mod.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looking to ditch the plastic lights on the rear end. Has anyone heard any news on aftermarket releases?

The British Customs team says they are working on it. But that was 2 months ago.

Not a fan of the Triumph taillight Elimination fender set up. Not hiding the module under the fender ruins the aesthetics for me.

The plastic break away lights ruin the vintage look of the bike. Drives me crazy to see that rear assembly.

I replaced the front with Harley bullets with smoked lens. Tapped into the marker light in the harness to have running light functionality up front. I don't have a great pic to share. But it was an easy mod.
Kinda hard to put the module under the fender, as it hugs the wheel so closely, which is the right look for the bobber. Motone seems to have a few light options, you might take a look. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would love a new rear option as well. Getting ready to order the short fender but having a hard time figuring out a better rear lighting set up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got impatient and decided to see if I could get the light off without removing the rear wheel so I could see what I'm working with.
It's possible. Three 30 torx are accessible but it's a slow go to get them out. Quite a bit of lock tite. I stripped the last one and had to back it out with a socket style extractor. "Might have been quicker to remove the wheel" crossed my mind a few times. But this wasn't so bad. Here's what's doin underneath. Now I gotta figure out what to do. When I put this back on, temporarily, it won't be with torx.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got impatient and decided to see if I could get the light off without removing the rear wheel so I could see what I'm working with.
It's possible. Three 30 torx are accessible but it's a slow go to get them out. Quite a bit of lock tite. I stripped the last one and had to back it out with a socket style extractor. "Might have been quicker to remove the wheel" crossed my mind a few times. But this wasn't so bad. Here's what's doin underneath. Now I gotta figure out what to do. When I put this back on, temporarily, it won't be with torx.

I tried removing rear fender wo removing the wheel---couldn't figure out how to get a tool on the torx. Not enough space between tire and fender for the tools I had on hand. Impressed you were able to do it. I'll be anxiously watching for your plan from here. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to improvise on tools. Not much room but it worked. I have a set of torx keys (L shape) that fit in there but it was hard to keep it straight inside the bolt head. I plan on using a hex head for the reinstallation.
This will only work for the light. Neither of these would fit in the space between the tire and fender bolts.
Found a few options but they appear to be out of stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had to improvise on tools. Not much room but it worked. I have a set of torx keys (L shape) that fit in there but it was hard to keep it straight inside the bolt head. I plan on using a hex head for the reinstallation.
This will only work for the light. Neither of these would fit in the space between the tire and fender bolts.
Found a few options but they appear to be out of stock.

Awesome post and thanks for doing this as I was contemplating for some time now to do the same and see what's going on underneath that light assembly.
Are you able to measure the distance between the 3 x holes perhaps? Say centre-2-centre? Will help when searching for alternative options.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally found my solution and finished today. Moved the turn signals under the seat using the air box mounts and home made brackets. Used smoked Harley bullets to match the front. Fabbed up a mounting bracket for the taillight assy so I could use the factory fender holes. Just need to find a plug cover to address the third hole. Went a little crazy on the pics. Sorry

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I removed the rear light assembly as well. Didn't remove the rear wheel. Found a 1/4" ratcheting wrench kit that made removal a lot easier. Other posters are correct, LOTS of locktite on those bolts. I got a side mount plate holder and light from Amazon and used some amber Monsterbright leds as turn signals. Spliced into the factory wiring harness. Going to fab a spade to cover the opening on the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I removed the rear light assembly as well. Didn't remove the rear wheel. Found a 1/4" ratcheting wrench kit that made removal a lot easier. Other posters are correct, LOTS of locktite on those bolts. I got a side mount plate holder and light from Amazon and used some amber Monsterbright leds as turn signals. Spliced into the factory wiring harness. Going to fab a spade to cover the opening on the fender.
Would be fine to see some photos from the result....Regards Frank

·
Registered
46 Posts
Took a while but finally done w the rear end... put the plate on the right because I'm mounting an ammo can to the swing arm on the left. Vertical mount is legal in my state as long as the bottom of the plate is 12" from the ground.
I like your rear led strips for signals on the fender support. Cool idea! Which license plate bracket support did you use? Planning on doing something similar with the lights to clean them up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I kind of like the long fenders and just wanted to remove the license plate aspect of the tail light and move it to the side, but wondered how it looked under it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts