Triumph Bobber Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Its actually in all gears 4,5,6. It starts being noticeable around 60km than progressively gets worse and faster the faster I go.
I know some have had checked but I would defo check tyre balance. The post I've quoted here sounds like wheel balance to me. There not alot else that give you them symptoms

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster
2 Posts
I have done over 94000 miles on my 2018 Speedmaster and have been through this drive train vibration problem. After putting up with the vibration for 6000 miles what it worked out to be is the rear tyre. If you use a bias tyre you get the vibration because the wall is too stiff. I went to Avon Cobra chrome radial at 36 psi and have never had the problem since. The flex in the radial sidewall takes the vibration out especially in 4th gear which was the worst with the bias tyre

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have done over 94000 miles on my 2018 Speedmaster and have been through this drive train vibration problem. After putting up with the vibration for 6000 miles what it worked out to be is the rear tyre. If you use a bias tyre you get the vibration because the wall is too stiff. I went to Avon Cobra chrome radial at 36 psi and have never had the problem since. The flex in the radial sidewall takes the vibration out especially in 4th gear which was the worst with the bias tyre
I've always run cobra's on this bike and never had any vibration issues so that also points to tyres being the cause of this problem

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've always run cobra's on this bike and never had any vibration issues so that also points to tyres being the cause of this problem
You will be fine with 42psi in the rear as per spec. I run this with no issues. 35psi (or 37psi)is OK for front but a tad low for the Avon rear. It's plenty sticky enough for them foot pegs with some air in there.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Dude, you ain't giving that thing time to even cool off are you? That's very impressive mileage for ANY motorcycle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update. Problem solved. Definitely wheel balance issue. Fitter incorrectly balanced new tyres. Feels like a new bike again. 👍

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Update. Problem solved. Definitely wheel balance issue. Fitter incorrectly balanced new tyres. Feels like a new bike again. 👍
Was only ever gonna be that I reckon. Glad to hear you are sorted. Bet it was a bit of a worry. Good times are back lol

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville Speedmaster
11 Posts
Hi Boggs55. I own a 2018 Speedmaster as well. I just got both tires replaced a few days ago ( I went with Cobra Chromes) and I am also experiencing the pulsating vibration in 4th gear around 3000 Rpm. The original tires were not Chromes but just plain Avon Cobra from factory. The problem definitely started after the tires were changed. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Sandra

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Boggs55. I own a 2018 Speedmaster as well. I just got both tires replaced a few days ago ( I went with Cobra Chromes) and I am also experiencing the pulsating vibration in 4th gear around 3000 Rpm. The original tires were not Chromes but just plain Avon Cobra from factory. The problem definitely started after the tires were changed. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Sandra
Were they balanced? Have you lost any lead balance weights since fitting? Can you get the balance check? It seems like the most likely cause.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Were they balanced? Have you lost any lead balance weights since fitting? Can you get the balance check? It seems like the most likely cause.
Hi BB,
Yes, I just got them changed and it was a Triumph dealer so, they must have balanced them. I could ask them but they would just tell me to come back . Well, that is not possible ( this season anyway), as I am 500km away and not about to ride back over the mountains in late September to check balance. How much would another dealer charge for balancing do you think. What is a reasonable price to check balancing? Geez, I have just spent $850CAD on 2 tires and install, so not anxious to spend any more money if possible. :( I may just live with it as it is only noticeable in 4 gear at between 60 to 85 kph. I might try increasing the rear tire pressure a few pounds over and see if that makes a difference. I have already adjusted the chain a few times, no change though. I also will check to see if I have lost a lead weight as you suggest. thanks for your input :)

Sandra

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi BB,
Yes, I just got them changed and it was a Triumph dealer so, they must have balanced them. I could ask them but they would just tell me to come back . Well, that is not possible ( this season anyway), as I am 500km away and not about to ride back over the mountains in late September to check balance. How much would another dealer charge for balancing do you think. What is a reasonable price to check balancing? Geez, I have just spent $850CAD on 2 tires and install, so not anxious to spend any more money if possible. :( I may just live with it as it is only noticeable in 4 gear at between 60 to 85 kph. I might try increasing the rear tire pressure a few pounds over and see if that makes a difference. I have already adjusted the chain a few times, no change though. I also will check to see if I have lost a lead weight as you suggest. thanks for your input :)

Sandra
You’d hope it was done right the first time but these things happen and it would seem the most likely cause. To get someone else to check/re-balance your wheels shouldn’t cost that much, particularly if you take them off yourself but even if you don’t I’ve just had two new tyres on mine and the cost of removing, balancing, and refitting the wheels was £40.
So if you’ve got a place that’s nearby it would be definitely worth trying. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You’d hope it was done right the first time but these things happen and it would seem the most likely cause. To get someone else to check/re-balance your wheels shouldn’t cost that much, particularly if you take them off yourself but even if you don’t I’ve just had two new tyres on mine and the cost of removing, balancing, and refitting the wheels was £40.
So if you’ve got a place that’s nearby it would be definitely worth trying. Good luck.
Thank you so much BB! I really appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
There is a method for checking the front wheel balance without removing the wheel. If you can raise the wheel off the ground and spin it and let it stop by itself, then mark the lowest point, tape will do. Repeat the spinning and stopping a couple of times. If the wheel stops at the same place then it's unbalanced. You could do the same with the rear but you'd have to remove the chain off the sprocket and that's a pain. The most accurate way to do this procedure is to remove the caliper or at least push the pads in by wiggling the caliper so that the pads won't "rub' and interfere with the free spinning.

Chico

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Dond have anything to do with vibration but this Kazuki had problems all day. The guy only knew how to change gears and nothing else about his bike. I show him how to install a new battery an we were back on road again. The one in background had NO problems.
Wheel Tire Daytime Vehicle Automotive lighting

41 - 59 of 59 Posts