Triumph Bobber Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was there a resolution to this issue with your bike? My 2017 Bobber with 16,000 mi just got new tires and I’m experiencing the same thing. 4th gear, 3000 rpm, surging harmonic vibration. Stops when I pull the clutch in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It was there before I changed my tire, didn’t pay too much attention to it. When this thread started I related with everything it described. I’ve changed my tire about 2000 miles ago. Vibration still there. I honestly don’t cruise that often at that speed around 50 to 60 mph to noticed it.......Still interesting tho.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was there before I changed my tire, didn’t pay too much attention to it. When this thread started I related with everything it described. I’ve changed my tire about 2000 miles ago. Vibration still there. I honestly don’t cruise that often at that speed around 50 to 60 mph to noticed it.......Still interesting tho.
Interesting that yours isn’t related to a tire change. How many miles are on your Bobber? My next step is to replace the chain and sprockets. The chain is original with 16,000 mi on it, it needs to be done whether or not it influences the vibration. Would be nice if it cleared it out, though.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
While you probably need a chain, my bet is that it doesn’t fix the problem. I swapped chains too while searching for a cure.

When the dealer unsuccessfully looked for a cure, the final answer from triumph is that “it is a known issue with no current remedy”

·
Registered
16 Posts
I remember that you did a chain, too, MX. I’ll keep you posted. After I replace chain and sprockets, if the vibration is still there, I’ll have my dealer test ride it. I haven’t updated with them since they exchanged the first rear Chrome for me.

My wife’s Speedmaster isn’t having a problem (yet?), she’s at about 8,000 miles now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interesting that yours isn’t related to a tire change. How many miles are on your Bobber? My next step is to replace the chain and sprockets. The chain is original with 16,000 mi on it, it needs to be done whether or not it influences the vibration. Would be nice if it cleared it out, though.
My BB at 17k miles
You guys have any recommendation on a nice gold chain and sprocket upgrades?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have DID parts on order, will post when I have them installed. Chain is gold and black, black rear sprocket, standard color front sprocket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am experiencing this exact same issue! I just changed both front and rear tires and now I am experiencing a harmonized/synchronized vibration around 80-110KM . Mechanic has gone through and balance the tire twice and nothing.. Shall i have him go through the chain and throttle body? its extremely frustration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a 2500km motorcycle camping trip I dont want to miss out on next week, will it be ok to ride with the vibration? Seems like this is a reoccurring issue with a lot of Bobbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have a 2500km motorcycle camping trip I dont want to miss out on next week, will it be ok to ride with the vibration? Seems like this is a reoccurring issue with a lot of Bobbers.
Is your vibration only in 4th gear? Not to make light of it, but as my wife advised, ‘upshift’. For now, I’m gearing up or down to avoid the vibration point.

Personally, I wouldn’t be riding the bike to a camping trip that far with it acting like this.

We checked the throttle bodies already on mine, they were balanced. Someone had posted that balancing helped with their vibration. My chain is worn so I’d be replacing it at this time with or without the vibration. There’s a post about making sure your chain isn’t too tight, that helped someone else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is your vibration only in 4th gear? Not to make light of it, but as my wife advised, ‘upshift’. For now, I’m gearing up or down to avoid the vibration point.

Personally, I wouldn’t be riding the bike to a camping trip that far with it acting like this.

We checked the throttle bodies already on mine, they were balanced. Someone had posted that balancing helped with their vibration. My chain is worn so I’d be replacing it at this time with or without the vibration. There’s a post about making sure your chain isn’t too tight, that helped someone else.
Its actually in all gears 4,5,6. It starts being noticeable around 60km than progressively gets worse and faster the faster I go. This is extremely frustrating!! I'm kinda glad it isn't just my bike experiencing the issue.

I have my mechanic coming over on Tuesday to go through the bike again, ill make sure he looks at the chain and the throttle body.

Thanks for the input, I hope I resolutions before my bike trip. I did about 350km with the vibrations and my chain tension bolt came completely loose.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Have any of you good people with the vib issue gone over the nuts and bolts to check that they are torqued to speck? I noticed some roughness after my bike had about 1K miles on the odo. I checked all the fasteners being especially fastidious about the engine bolts. the roughness disappeared. None were really off by much but the sum total of slight change did the trick. Worth a try.

Chico

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sorry to here your having probs MX429. Nothing worse than a issue that's hard to find.

I thought I heard a new ticking sound from my bike. When I pulled over I talked about it to my ride buddies. My Huawei smart phone was listening in "again" and sent me a you tube video saying the bobber gearbox is a "ticking time bomb" and will disintegrate somewhere between 500 and 40,000 miles.

I know the whole cash for clicks and all that. its prob nothing to do with it at all, but have you had any trouble down shifting? His scary ass video saying triumph are playing it down so interesting how they won't authorise gear box work.

To clarify this is not my opinion. I find the guys at triumph very helpful.

Ps. My ticking was new helmet based. Not engine. Pheeeeew.

Hope you get sorted mate

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

The infamous or I'm famous Stuart finnigan.

Don't pile in on me now. I know the score 🤦‍♂️

He saying its a dangerous recall issue. Of what I can find out it gets stuck in high gear. Pain in the ass but it's not gonna kill you. Not sure if vibration is a symptom tho

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone get to the bottom of this problem. Only occurring between 2500 and 2900 revs in 4th gear after 2x tyre changeover. Thanks

21 - 40 of 59 Posts