Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've read posts on this forum and others, regarding the Bobber's fuel range, and answers are fairly mixed.

I have a 2018 Bobber Black, and if I'm going by what the fuel gauge tells me, I only really get around 70 - 75 miles to a tank. I'm averaging 50 - 55mpg.

Could you share how many miles you get out of your tank and at what mpg? When the tank says there are only a few miles left, is this the official reading or can you get more miles out of it?

Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
509 Posts
I go about 100 miles give or take. I do use the miles till empty feature as a gauge , but have driven it down to 0 a couple times seeking fuel in unfamiliar areas. I've put 2.3 gallons in it both times , so it will drink every last drop off the bottom of that tank if pushed. After that , you start pushing. I don't look good pushing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to get around 100 miles from a full tank. I don't pay much (any?) attention to the fuel gauge. The miles to empty feature is worthless.
I go about 100 miles give or take. I do use the miles till empty feature as a gauge , but have driven it down to 0 a couple times seeking fuel in unfamiliar areas. I've put 2.3 gallons in it both times , so it will drink every last drop off the bottom of that tank if pushed. After that , you start pushing. I don't look good pushing.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to fill my tank right up and reset the trip meter, ride economically and see how the mileage of the trip meter compares to that of the fuel gauge. Hopefully I can get around 100 miles.

I appreciate it's a subjective area, as it does purely come down to how hard you're riding the bike. When the gauge says zero, how many more actual miles do you think you have left, on average, or is that genuinely it?

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don’t look to refuel till I hit 120 miles and constantly manage 130 miles per tank. However, I did on one occasion find to my shock, that one of my regular fuel stop stations was closed which resulted in 142 miles... couldn’t have had much more in the tank but the bike showed now signs of being low on fuel, fuel gauge aside. None the less and needless to say that my bum was very tight during those last few miles!

Also to add... if you look into the tank you’ll spot three small holes, (from memory it’s three?) I always fill up just above this mark, so the holes are slightly submerged. When you have such a small capacity tank... every little helps! ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi guys,

Could you share how many miles you get out of your tank and at what mpg? When the tank says there are only a few miles left, is this the official reading or can you get more miles out of it?

Matt
When I'm bobbing around doing lots of short to medium runs on the backroads where I live, I typically get around 85miles going from brimmed (filled up on the side stand) to fuel warning light. At the gas station that usually equates to a refill of around 6litres of fuel. The Bobber's tank is 9.1litres, doing the math that roughly gives me a 130mile range to empty, which gives me a very usable everyday range of 110miles leaving 20 in reserve. Now if I'm trying to keep up with my mates on faster bikes that can drop to 75mile between warning lights but conversely if I'm on a longer run, riding mainly in 6th on a constant throttle, it's not difficult to get 100miles before the fuel warning light flashes on, giving a theoretical range of around 150miles.

I know many modern riders have been spoiled riding adventure bikes with 200miles+ tank range, but I have no problem at all with the fuel range on the Bobber I think it's perfect for the type of bike it is! >:)

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I always rely on the miles-to-empty gauge and it usually has me looking for a place to fill up around 130 miles a tank, with plenty of leeway there, because I usually put in less than 2 gallons.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did a test run when I went on a ride to meet a friend, I did 85 miles, with around 20 miles range still left according to the gauge, so a lot better than before. I'd have gone for longer but I had to fill up before we set off together, due to being out in the countryside, petrol stations were scarce.

I have to say, despite the small tank being a criticism by many, it's not bad at all, and gives you that welcomed break to stretch your legs when you fill up. Range is decent considering.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Hi Chaps,

I mentioned this on my recent report on my first road trip but thought I would share it hear for some contrast.

I have been running a Speedy tank on my Bobber this last month or so. On my road trip I filled up and road hard non stop. I made it 125 miles until the next gas station and was pretty low by then, so I was glad of the extra capacity.

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts