Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am anticipating my cruise control unit. I know I will have to remove the old switch housing and replace it with the new unit. This will require that it be unplugged at the main wiring harness and the new unit plugged in. This appears to be under the tank.

It appears that I will have to remove the tank or lift it up at the very least. Any tips from anyone that has done this or removed the tank for other reasons? Any bolts, hoses, or wires to be cautious of etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
:nerd:

maybe this video help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=DGlgpoUvgpQ

Remove the seat
Disconnect the battery, negative (black) lead first.

1. Remove the fixing securing the rear of the fuel tank to the frame.
2. Pivot the fuel tank upwards at the rear.
3. Detach the breather hose from its retaining clips on the fuel tank then disconnect it from the fuel tank.
4. Disconnect the electrical connectors for the fuel pump and the fuel level sensor from the main harness.
5. Temporarily reconnect the battery, positive (red) lead first and tighten the terminals to 4.5 Nm.
6. Briefly crank the engine to reduce the fuel pressure in the fuel rail.
7. Disconnect the battery, negative (black) lead first.
8. To release the double check clip, ease the latch away from the connector until the release buttons are exposed.
9. Disconnect the fuel hose by squeezing the sides of the connector and pulling the hose free from its spigot on the fuel pump rail. Collect any fuel remaining in the hose in a suitable container.
10. Detach the fuel pump and fuel level sensor electrical connectors from the ignition coil bracket.
11. Slide the tank rearwards to detach it from the frame.
12. Take care not to lose the front mounting and rear mounting rubbers. Renew any mounting rubber which shows signs of damage.

Photo to clarify items 8 and 9:

Fuel line connector showing security device, the orange bit, moved away to uncover the release buttons:

·
Registered
73 Posts
You will have to remove the tank to put the Cruise Control on. There's a wiring guide underneath the tank on the left side of the frame that you'll have to pull the old wiring harness out of and route the new one through. The 2 connectors are at the very end of the guide. Also, you don't need to completely remove the wiring guide cover. Carefully unsnap the front two clips on the top and you can route the cable through. You'll see this after the tank comes off.

Oh, and when I did my CC, I found it easier to just unbolt the clutch lever from the housing. That made swapping the clutch cable a lot easier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm installing my cruise this afternoon and had the same question. Hoping to just rotate the tank up a bit and not have to totally remove. Even removal doesn't seem to be too much of a hassle. We'll see!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm installing my cruise this afternoon and had the same question. Hoping to just rotate the tank up a bit and not have to totally remove. Even removal doesn't seem to be too much of a hassle. We'll see!
I did it without removal. It would be super easy if you had someone else there to hold the tank up and away a little for you to get to the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
IMHO, if you have two people, you can just pull the tank out of position and hold it. If there's just you, take the extra effort and remove the tank. Go on, ask me how I know...

That tool looks really useful, and at $8 you can't go wrong. Those clips are a b'stard to get off by finger power.

- Pasta

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did it without removal. It would be super easy if you had someone else there to hold the tank up and away a little for you to get to the wiring.
IMHO, if you have two people, you can just pull the tank out of position and hold it. If there's just you, take the extra effort and remove the tank. Go on, ask me how I know...

That tool looks really useful, and at $8 you can't go wrong. Those clips are a b'stard to get off by finger power.

- Pasta

Install was a breeze. Took maybe 30 min? Now, I have to make the trek to the dealer for activation. :|

·
Registered
114 Posts
- Pasta
@pasta, you know how to get me curious....

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
And now I know that sodding doesn't trigger the modesty filter, I can say sodding sodding sodding don't do it that way unless you want a sodding scratched tank!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like I need to be gentle...don't do the work after a few brews....
I think its more of an issue with the tool I bought which worked but not very well. The security clip is pretty flimsy and the hose connector is bloody tight. It takes a fair amount of effort to get it off the rail. I looked up a replacement for the hose assembly from Triumph and it was crazy money. Something like £70 for a bit of hose and a plastic connector, so I decided to replace the connector with something more substantial.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts