Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.
I’m new to the Triumph Bobber and I just placed my order for a TFC Bobber. My question is, what kind of quality do these bikes have?
Do they use cad plated or stainless steel bolts and screws?
Do they have plastic mirrors and gauge housing?
Is the headlight bucket plastic?
Are the wheels steel or aluminum and are they powder coated or anodized?
I know the difference between the Bobber standard, black and TFC, but I’m more concerned about overall.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Take a trip down to your local Triumph dealer and see for your self . IMHO every new Triumph Is top quality .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a trip down to your local Triumph dealer and see for your self . IMHO every new Triumph Is top quality .
My local dealer is 3 hours away.
My Norton’s are top quality without any plastic on the bike.
My only known dislike that I so far see on the triumph are the header and exhaust pipe. Not to keen on the way the x pipe / cat is but it is what it is. Wonder why they used shields instead of actual pipe?
My Norton’s have a x pipe cat pipe without any shields or fake looking tubes.

Can’t wait until the bobber arrives.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello guys.
I’m new to the Triumph Bobber and I just placed my order for a TFC Bobber.

Dunno if I could seriously commit to the purchase of a bike unseen, and not even having sat my but on the saddle.........Unless I've missed something in translation?,

If you don't like the faux headers with shield, you can always replace with a after market full d-cat system like Delkevic https://delkevic.co.uk/Triumph-Bonneville-bobber-Delkevic-exhaust-system-stainless%20steel

May your expectations be realised when it arrives.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I and a few friends attended a Triumph sponsored "unveiling" Friday evening. One of the new offerings was the TFC Bobber. Lighting was poor but the venue was superb. The positioning of the bike with the breath taking Manhattan skyline featuring the Freedom Tower that replaced the World Trade Center was very dramatic.

Chico

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
Hello guys.
I’m new to the Triumph Bobber and I just placed my order for a TFC Bobber.

Dunno if I could seriously commit to the purchase of a bike unseen, and not even having sat my but on the saddle.........Unless I've missed something in translation?,

Enjoy
I couldn't begin to commit to a bike or car until I'd ridden it, accepted this is a Limited Edition, so I'd be happy to try the closest to it (BB I Guess)... People in the UK even buy houses "off-plan"? You have to see these big commitments in the flesh

Reactions: ysoslo

·
Registered
579 Posts
I bought my Rocket 111, Thruxton R, Bobber, Speed Twin & even my Niken GT without even seeing one in the flesh, I did test ride my Bonnie though.
I have found quality is ok for the money, could be a little better in some areas, but would then be more expensive like the Norton.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I bought mine before the first one was even released in Canada.

Started trying to track one down in Feb. 2017. Made the deal March 23/17, signed and paid for it Apr 12/17. First one in this area was't delivered until first week of May/17 (so I was told). Didn't get a serial number til May 17/17. Didn't see mine until June 7/17 when the salesman sent me this (pic 1) on un-crate day. Didn't see it in the flesh until June 22/17 (Pic 2)

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought my 2016 Norton Commando SF 961 site unseen and delivered to USA.
I bought my 2017 Norton Dominator Naked 961 site unseen and delivered to USA
I bought my 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R ordered and bought site unseen.

As well as the TFC Bobber.

None of these were able to be seen or experienced before or without purchasing first.
I don’t purchase anything after a test driver / ride.
I purchase on looks and style. Not on comfort.
My Command and Dominator have the most beautiful craftsmanship. Everything is hand assembled, CNC machined billet aluminum, hand laid carbon fiber, hand painted, hand tig welded, hand polished, etc. absolutely no regrets.
I know I’ll be happy with the Triumph TFC Bobber. It’s beautiful.
I did see the standard and black at the North America international motorcycle show the year the bobber was introduced, but I honestly can’t remember much about the details.
Pretty excited and look forward to it.

I did reserve my spot for the Triumph Best of the British tour next Friday in Detroit Michigan. Hopefully they’ll have a TFC Bobber there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
And suddenly the name makes sense! :laugh:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And suddenly the name makes sense!
Lol.
Actually Voodoo is also the code name Ford used for the engine in the GT350R

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have the first Norton 961 SF Commando registered in the country. Quality on the Bobber is very good but do not expect a Norton for Half Price. Of course I speak of the Standard Bobber as the TFC is not out yet!>:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the first Norton 961 SF Commando registered in the country. Quality on the Bobber is very good but do not expect a Norton for Half Price. Of course I speak of the Standard Bobber as the TFC is not out yet!
Is the quality of the bobber much lesser than the our Norton’s?

I believe much of the TFC is just the carbon fiber and Öhlins, Arrow mufflers, front Brembos, billet yolks and badging. They kept the steel wheels and standard rear brakes which is kind of a bummer.

What year is your Norton?
I purchased my Commando SF from South Bay Norton. Total hassle and joke. Now he’s out of business.
I purchased my Dominator Naked from Indian of Orange County. Way better experience and dealer. I’m told by Norton only 3 Dominator Nakeds are in the USA and 25 total world wide.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went with a friend to view a Norton Dominator (complete work of art) the other day and I have to say the Norton's build quality is much better. That being said he spent £26k on a hand built bike vs the £11k on a Triumph Thailand built bike.

Overall the Bobber compared to most production bikes (including ones more expensive) has very little plastic or fiddly breakable parts, on the most part it very solid and mostly metal used (hence it weighs over 200kgs). When you truly get under the covers and start cutting into wiring looms you start to notice the difference as the loom wiring can be a bit questionable at times but I'm sure 99.9999% of owners would never know. You need to scratch very deep to notice any real signs of the mass produce nature of the bike.

I suspect the TFC bobber if fundamentally the same but with options added that aren't included as standard for cost saving reasons. I.e. Ohlins shocks, etc. Rather than it being fundamentally constructed differently with all new parts.

Norton's have a waiting list and are double the price but for overall reliability I would suspect Triumph are probably better just for the fact its so popular and we're now on the 3rd bobber, most of the underlying issues have been found out.

The other benefit of the bobber is that the core platform is shared across most of the triumph bikes (Bonnevilles, Thruxton's & Scramblers) so you can easily find parts and advice.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Norton's have a waiting list and are double the price but for overall reliability I would suspect Triumph are probably better just for the fact its so popular and we're now on the 3rd bobber, most of the underlying issues have been found out.

The other benefit of the bobber is that the core platform is shared across most of the triumph bikes (Bonnevilles, Thruxton's & Scramblers) so you can easily find parts and advice.
I would say Triumph's quality is on par if not slightly better than the best in the industry (BMW and Honda), and the Bobber is no exception. :surprise:

We all love exclusive bikes with handmade parts but IMHO buying a short run bike, made by a firm with limited resources is often a risky prospect. I have no experience of Norton but I did have a good chat the other day with the owner of a CCM Spitfire. It looked beautiful, like a really well made shed-built bike and he loved it. But in short time he'd owned it he'd had more than a few problems nothing serious but like a bike from yesteryear it demanded a certain amount of fettling keep it running sweet. But then again I guess that's part of the charm like running an old Ducati - You pays your money you take your choice! >:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
R&D, Price, available production factories, etc - I'd say it's a very high quality machine.

Yeah, there is plastic all over....tail assembly, clock, side covers, lollipop signals........

That's why new it's ~14k (US dollars), and not ~40k all hand build.

End of the line, it's a solid bike, that looks's a treat, and no one else is doing in terms of a Modern Classic with affordable execution.

Done.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Voodoo,

My Norton was made in October of 2013 so if it was anything else it would be a 2014 but by British law it is a 2013!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys!!!
I appreciate all of your input! Means a lot to me.

Although my Norton’s are hand built and of high quality and at a higher price, they still have their mechanical issues.
On my Dominator, I’ve have a loss of oil pressure due to a blown / broken cam cover gasket. I’m auto mechanic and was a easy fix but it was a bit disappointing to have this happen on a new bike. This is on a bike that had less than 250 miles at that time.
I’ve also had the hi / low beam switch fly off during a ride. Absolutely no idea how that happened.
Other than that, both of my Norton’s have been trouble free. If any of you ever visit the AccessNorton forum you’ll see a whole forum full of potential 961 Norton issues.
Some very minor and a few not so minor.

I love that the Nortons draw a crowd anywhere I go and I love the fact that nobody in my area has one. (Michigan USA).
I get sick of seeing Harley’s and Japanese bikes everywhere I go in my part of the world. You almost never see British bikes here.

In my opinion the British build and design the most beautiful bikes.

I loved the Triumph Bobber since the day it was announced and wanted one right then, but at that time I had already ordered my Dominator Naked.

What I love about the Triumph Bobber is it’s classic looks and it’s modern performance. My only dislike is the gauge and headlight. That’s me being very picky. It’s not a deal breaker of course, but with such a beautiful bike, I wish Triumph would of used a 7” headlight and integrated the speedo into the headlight bucket.

I also question why triumph didn’t name the bobber the “Speed Twin” instead?
I also think it would of been awesome if the bobber came in the Amaranth red like the originals.

I love this forum and the brotherhood!
Thanks guys.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts