Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried this? Try it first at a garage before you get stuck and have to try it out for real.

I religiously carry within my backpack on every journey a tyre repair kit and a mini battery powered tyre pump (amongst other things) and due to a small air leak in the rear I use it now and again to pump up the rear. I can feel when the tyre is low I don't need to religiously check. Anyways, was out early this morning and could feel it was low and thought I would pull into a standard garage and pump up tyre rather than get my unit out and connect to bike battery etc. Do you think I could get the nozzle to connect with tyre valve, didn't matter which way I positioned it, spokes seemed to get in the way. The battery powered unit I normally use has a flexible hose type connection as opposed to the metal connector on a standard garage forecourt. So unless I am doing something wrong, try it out for yourself before you get stuck.

This is the unit that I have been trouble free for my air, highly recommend:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M1OD69I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Great idea. I carry a portable on any longer trip as well. Amazon doesn’t ship that particular model to the States but, there are other good ones as well.

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yep same here, the usual long metal connector on a garage forecourt cant get in past the spokes, my old tyre pressure gauge has the same issue so I had to buy another and all my disk locks don't fit thru the Bobber disk either lol.

Had 90 degree valves fitted on the 955 triple, unfortunately with tubed tyres a permanently fitted right angle is a no no (but then again locktite blue....who knows? but will the weight kill the valvestem?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yep same here, the usual long metal connector on a garage forecourt cant get in past the spokes, my old tyre pressure gauge has the same issue so I had to buy another and all my disk locks don't fit thru the Bobber disk either lol.

Had 90 degree valves fitted on the 955 triple, unfortunately with tubed tyres a permanently fitted right angle is a no no (but then again locktite blue....who knows? but will the weight kill the valvestem?
Ethariel, why doesn't a permanently fitted right angle work on tubed tires? Thanks.
P.S. can they be used just for the fill-up then taken off?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ethariel, why doesn't a permanently fitted right angle work on tubed tires? Thanks.
The right angle adapters that I have seen aren't supposed to be fitted permanently. That doesn't mean that there aren't adapters that can be fitted permanently. I just haven't seen them.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
These are the ones I was thinking of (Revzilla). Maybe I should only be using them when filling up? Description though, doesn't say anything about temporary vs. permanent, tube vs. tubeless.

Bike Master 90 Degree Valve Stems
SKU: 961902
Color: Black
Size: 11.3MM
$17.96$17.961
Ships within 24 hours
/Users/jerrman/Desktop/bike_master90_degree_valve_stems_300x300.jpg

·
Registered
604 Posts
The right angle adapters that I have seen aren't supposed to be fitted permanently. That doesn't mean that there aren't adapters that can be fitted permanently. I just haven't seen them.
The tubless tyre ones are screwed into the rim and are rock solid, the valve on the tubed tyre is a flexible stalk fitted to a tube, always been told not to mess with them (includes fancy metal caps etc due to the stress of rotational force.

Tubless tyre ones are even offered triumph branded HERE

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The tubless tyre ones are screwed into the rim and are rock solid, the valve on the tubed tyre is a flexible stalk fitted to a tube, always been told not to mess with them (includes fancy metal caps etc due to the stress of rotational force.

Tubless tyre ones are even offered triumph branded HERE
Thanks for that information.

I have had 19 motorcycles over the years. The Triumph Bobber is without a doubt the most difficult for tire inflation.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i agree that getting to the air nozzles on the wheels can be tricky with the spokes an all. even getting your air pressure guage in there can be a little tricky (especially the rear tire.)

also most of us have to deal with the constant slow-air leak that is always happening. (there's a lot of forums about this issue). i got valve stem tightening tool and it definitely helped.

early on i purchased one of these compact hand-held (basically bicycle) pumps. it has a tube that comes out of the casing and attaches to one end. it's flexible enough to get into/inbetween the spokes to twist onto the valves. i've been using it basically once a week now for a year and it's held up. takes a little bit of muscle, but works. it's inexpensive, and doesn't require any electrical power. also it's small enough to fit in any backpack or saddle bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I honestly thought you was all going to respond by telling me that I was doing something wrong, really surprised Triumph didn't sort this. If you get a puncture and manage to find a garage to try to put enough air in to get you somewhere safe, as it stands you are screwed.

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
Not just a Triumph issue, the Stelvio had similar despite tubeless tires and right angled valves...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I use this with my compressor. The flexible hose works okay in the garage. This setup won't help you if you are on the road.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I honestly thought you was all going to respond by telling me that I was doing something wrong, really surprised Triumph didn't sort this. If you get a puncture and manage to find a garage to try to put enough air in to get you somewhere safe, as it stands you are screwed.
If you get a puncture in a tubed your screwed anyway...you cant plug it and i`m sure it wont be any good putting air in it

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have always avoided products like SLIME in tubless tyres as it usually takes 2 other tech's at the tyre shop to hold off the one that popped the bead on your wheel and gets a lovley coating of gunk when you forget to tell them you used it.

But in a tubed tyre i'm starting to think it may not be a bad idea, even if you still get a flat especially in the front, it won't be as fast a deflation if at all, just not too sure how well it spreads out in a tube compared to a bare carcus.

Anyone have some insight on this regards tubed tyres?

Reactions: Bob's_yer_firkin

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have always avoided products like SLIME in tubless tyres as it usually takes 2 other tech's at the tyre shop to hold off the one that popped the bead on your wheel and gets a lovley coating of gunk when you forget to tell them you used it.

But in a tubed tyre i'm starting to think it may not be a bad idea, even if you still get a flat especially in the front, it won't be as fast a deflation if at all, just not too sure how well it spreads out in a tube compared to a bare carcus.

Anyone have some insight on this regards tubed tyres?
I used slime several years ago on a tubed tire and it severely interfered with patching a nail hole in the tube causing me a day of travel as we patched it 3times and all failed within a couple hours. I eventually installed a new tube the next morning and went on my way. NEVER AGAIN!

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
I went on a little buying spree on Prime Day and found this little chap:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079Z9FQPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, it arrived today, and it's brilliant. Here's a picture or two... a couple of the right angle adaptor, and the last is me inflating the rear tyre. The device works like most smart pumps these days, you set the pressure (PSI, bar and kPa), pull the trigger and away it goes. I tested the rear pressure post inflation against a pencil gauge, and it was exact. I inflate 0.1 bar over, because you lose a little bit of air when you remove the pump hose, and when you remove the adaptor...

Big thumbs up from me!

Attachments

Reactions: Roy and Big Bear
1 - 20 of 24 Posts